Drinks prices - Elegant night questions

TNShadyLady

Not our first cruise, but we haven't bought the Cheers program before. What do drinks cost on average (say, tropical drinks)? Trying to decide if Cheers would be a better option than pay as we go. With four port days, Cheers could be an unnecessary expense. :o

Also, has anyone tried the Alchemy Bar yet? The drinks menu sounds really intriguing, and I'm wondering about the prices there too. Since each drink apparently holds several shots of liquor, I'm assuming the drinks will be somewhat higher than normal bar drinks, but if they are outrageously high we may just skip that. :p

Also, now that the MDR is serving some steakhouse menu items for an extra fee, what is special about Elegant Nights now? That used to be lobster night. So if lobster is now an extra fee, we may just skip Elegant Night in the MDR since that would save almost one whole suitcase just for that occasion. :confused:

Not our first cruise, but we haven't bought the Cheers program before. What do drinks cost on average (say, tropical drinks)? Trying to decide if Cheers would be a better option than pay as we go. With four port days, Cheers could be an unnecessary expense. :o

As long as you are drinking more than just beer ($5 or $6 each) or wine ($6 to $8 a glass) the Cheers program seems to be the way to go. Figure in the specialty coffees available, as well as the other nonalcoholic beverages. I saw a post were Martinis were $10. Have 4 of those a day and you are breaking even.

Also, has anyone tried the Alchemy Bar yet? The drinks menu sounds really intriguing, and I'm wondering about the prices there too. Since each drink apparently holds several shots of liquor, I'm assuming the drinks will be somewhat higher than normal bar drinks, but if they are outrageously high we may just skip that. :p

I am anxious to see the drinks in the Alchemy Bar myself. I really enjoy trying different things.

Also, now that the MDR is serving some steakhouse menu items for an extra fee, what is special about Elegant Nights now? That used to be lobster night. So if lobster is now an extra fee, we may just skip Elegant Night in the MDR since that would save almost one whole suitcase just for that occasion. :confused:

I read in several posts that the lobster on the Elegant night is NOT extra $$$. For other nights it is and is prepared in the Steakhouse and brought to the MDR

The Alchemy Bar is included in Cheers! so that would be well worth it if you like those kinds of drinks. Check out the Carnival site for the Alchemy menu (no prices): http://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/onboard/bars/menus/alchemy-bar-menu.pdf

You will still have (free) lobster night on your cruise on the first elegant night.

Free lobster is only offered on cruises 6 nights long and longer.

Edited by nwo4life

For Cheers to be cost effective, you need to average about 6-8 drinks a day depending on what you drink, the entire cruise.

That's what I keep hearing so we aren't getting it. My husband and I could each have no problem with that but not for each day of the cruise lol

Latte's were about $4, no idea about the milkshakes.

Thanks, that's about what I would expect. I would think the milkshakes would be about that also, if they are worth paying for in the first place;).

Whether Cheers is worthwhile completely depends on how many drinks per day you use and not really on how much each drink costs by itself.

IF you drink 6-8drinks then it may be worthwhile.

We don't drink that much so it's not worthwhile for us.

Each person is different. Remember that all people in one cabin must purchase the program.

Thanks, that's about what I would expect. I would think the milkshakes would be about that also, if they are worth paying for in the first place;).

Im sure they're great, Ill find out in July. The specialty coffee is quite good, it definitely beats the buffet coffee. For us, the cheers is going to be worth it because of these added benefits. We each drink 2-3 latte throughout the day, and now the Powerade, coconut water, sparkling water in the MDR, and essentially no drink price limit makes cheers a great bargain.

Whether Cheers is worthwhile completely depends on how many drinks per day you use and not really on how much each drink costs by itself.

IF you drink 6-8drinks then it may be worthwhile.

We don't drink that much so it's not worthwhile for us.

Each person is different. Remember that all people in one cabin must purchase the program.

Why wouldn't the drink price matter in determining whether it's worth it or not? If one drinks a top of the shelf liquor that costs $20 obviously they need to drink less to break even than someone drinking a $6 beer.

I drink top shelf liquor but only 1 drink or so per day sooo for me it wouldn't make sense. If you drink 6 drinks a day then it would . If you drink only beer then I don't think it would ever pay! I just meant that you don't need the price of every drink to figure it out.

In general terms just drinking 1 coffee, and 1 afternoon cocktail, and 1 glass of wine at dinner and a top shelf in the evening wouldn't pay even without adding up each individual drink.

I drink top shelf liquor but only 1 drink or so per day sooo for me it wouldn't make sense. If you drink 6 drinks a day then it would . If you drink only beer then I don't think it would ever pay! I just meant that you don't need the price of every drink to figure it out.

In general terms just drinking 1 coffee, and 1 afternoon cocktail, and 1 glass of wine at dinner and a top shelf in the evening wouldn't pay even without adding up each individual drink.

$5 coffee, $10 cocktail, $10 glass of wine and $20 top of shelf come mighty close to paying for it (if it's purchased before the cruise), milkshake might just put it over:D and I am sure that I could rely on myself to consume that each day over the 7 days. Knowing what one drinks, what one is likely to drink and what those drinks cost all come into play when determining if the package is worth it to each individual (and we used to think the package wasn't worth it for us but with the recent changes it might just be).

Things have changed a lot since you last cruised I guess.:) There is no way you need an extra suitcase for elegant night. A pair of pants and a collared shirt are all that is required for men. No need for tuxes ,suits, or gowns anymore.:)

Bill

Wonder how you drink that top shelf liquor to get up to $20 per drink??? I get double shots with ice or soda for much less than that!!!! To me it doesn't pay to put a top shelf item into a mixed drink where you don't taste it!

I guess everyone drinks differently!!:D

Wonder how you drink that top shelf liquor to get up to $20 per drink??? I get double shots with ice or soda for much less than that!!!! To me it doesn't pay to put a top shelf item into a mixed drink where you don't taste it!

I guess everyone drinks differently!!:D

My $20 price was hypothetical. If they don't sell anything that costs that then of course that would be factored in. My only point was that the cost of what you are drinking has to be factored in as well as the number of drinks in order to determine if Cheers is worth it for you.

The Alchemy bar drinks (the ones on the menu) start in the $9-10 range - if you want the bar tender to create a special one for you, you may be paying $14+. We love this bar and usually have at least 2 drinks per day here. But, we have found that with both of us needing to purchase Cheers, and taking into account all the time that we are on shore, the program isn't worth it. As other posters said, even is you are drinking the DOD or the Alchemy martinis, you are going to have to drink 6 per person per day to break even. I could do that a couple of days, but for 7 days, that is just too much. And on port days, I will spend my evenings hammered - even if I have one before I get off the ship and one before going to the room for a shower, I still have to put away another 4 just to break even. Now perhaps if we wanted soda or specialty coffee it might be worthwhile...

You will still have your lobster since you are on a longer cruise; order multiple because they are small. And as another poster said, the times have changed - you don't see tuxs or ball gowns hardly ever. A simple dress for the ladies, and a shirt and tie for hubby and we are dressed up more than most.