Oceana -advanced warning of maintenance to public areas

anniebea

My Brother in Law has had an email from our Travel Agent to say that there will be some work going on Oceana during our cruise on 8th June from Venice and some public areas may not be open. I haven’t seen the email to see the exact contents so don't know the extent or for how long.

Has anyone any experience of this type of situation and what we are likely to expect?. I suppose the disruption depends on what public areas are being worked on and what work is being done and for how long ... so its a bit like "how long is a piece of string"

I’m determined that I’m not going to let it spoil my holiday and as I’ve said on another thread this cruise is about the itinerary, not the cruise line or the ship

I have been on cruises when major refurbishment has taken place; not P&O, but would think it likely this type of thing will happen:

Major areas of carpet being removed and remnants scraped away. New carpet relaid with petro-chemical type smelly glue. Areas out of use where this takes place.

Mattresses and beds being discarded in skips on quayside and new replacement being brought on board and refitted into cabins.

Strangely the disruption was not too bad really. They seem to schedule work to minimise problems.

Regards John

We were on Oceana at the beginning of May. The main work while we were on board was on the Promenade Deck which meant you couldn't walk all around the deck as normal - parts of it were roped off all the time we were on her. There was obviously work going on to deal with rust as on our balcony we could hear them chipping away at it - or whatever they do. My husband was disappointed he couldn't walk all round the deck but other than that the work didn't bother us at all.

When we were on Oceana a few years ago, in excursion in was cancelled (I think it was Rome), they were replacing a lot of the serveries in the buffet. We had a lie in and went to breakfast late only to be faced with a group of workers. We couldn't hear ourselves the noise was so loud, the workers were ok they had earphones on, we just had to put up with it. Also our balcony rail was varnished one port day and painted over the rust another. Regular maintenance is one of those things on a ship.

Lovely ship Oceana, hope you have a great time.

Routine maintenance is quite normal on any cruise line I imagine. On our first cruise on Oceana they were replacing the carpets in some areas and on our 2nd cruise on the Silhouette (when she was only about 14 months old) they replaced the wooden part of our balcony and varnished it. They did this when we were out - just came back to shiny hand rail :)

To be honest they always seem to be painting a ship when we go on it - even when it is new..... even the hull of Britannia last July.

I imagine that the salty sea air causes so many issues with paint work and rust. :)

When we were on Oceana in February sections of Promenade deck sections of were out of use for about 7 days as they removed the rails for de-rusting. On another occasion when we were on her the Buffet was closed for 3 days for planned work. Everybody had to use the dining rooms or Cafe Jardin.

There have been a lot of complaints about Oceana recently so maybe P&O has decided they need to do something, although TBH the public rooms were the least of our worries. Maybe it's something to do with the failed inspection in Charleston??