Yellow fever vaccine

Happytogo46

Has anyone been to Brazil and had to have the Yellow fever vaccine. I understand if you go to Peru or another country first Brazil requires you to have it. We are both over 70 and wonder if we have to have it. Any advise would help. Thank you

This may not be very helpful to you but before our South American cruise 18 months ago we had to have the YF injection and we ere given a little booklet in which were recorded our details regarding the injection. This all came from our GP. I'm not sure it was a requirement for Brazil but we had to produce this documentation when we were returning to Australia.:)

Has anyone been to Brazil and had to have the Yellow fever vaccine. I understand if you go to Peru or another country first Brazil requires you to have it. We are both over 70 and wonder if we have to have it. Any advise would help. Thank you

Yes. We were warned about being over 70 but we didn't have any of the major risk factors, so we went ahead. Neither of us had any repercussions.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of a certain age, you can have the jab and the certificate which comes with it, or you can get (also from your doctor a certificate of exemption.

But yes, you will need the one certificate or the other - simply proving your age probably isn't good enough

JB :)

You can get a waiver from your physician as JB said.

As to the requirement for YF, it does depend on the places you are visiting afterwards and I have to tell you that even that changes. I've been to Brazil many times and more recently was there two years in a row and one time it was required but the next time the country that had required it the first time no longer required it.

Keith

It seems very hit and miss anywhere whether you get asked if you have had the YF vaccination, and subject to change as others have said.

In 2013 we did a South America trip, and required the YF vaccination because we were going to Iguazu/Iguacu.

When we entered Brazil, at the beginning of the trip, on a flight from Santiago, we were not asked where we had been, to check whether we should have had YF vaccination.

We went to Peru after Iguacu/Iguazu, but were not asked about YF vaccinations. However, when we stopped in Australia for a few days on the way home to NZ we had to produce evidence of YF vaccination.

Back in South America Dec 2015/Jan 2016, and returned to Iguazu/Iguacu. Stopped in Chile after the falls, then Australia for a night before home to NZ. I of course had the yellow vaccination booklets with us, but we did not need to show them.

Following on from my earlier response, I am pretty sure that as far as Australian Passport holders returning to Australia from South America, the YF injections proof was not so much for getting into the South American countries but getting back into Australia after having been to South America. Hope that makes sense.:)

How the heck does one find out what vaccinations are MANDATORY/REQUIRED to enter a country or return to the U.S?

I have been googling for the last hour or so and find lots of recommendations and maps, mostly I was on CDC, but I can not locate a DEFINATIVE LIST OF MANDATORY/REQUIRED vaccinations by countries or areas of countries. I do not want to have to have any vaccinations, but I do not want to be turned away upon arrival in a country or put myself at risk. Specifically I will be visiting Argentina and Brazil. I will be in Buenos Aires 3 days and overnight in Iguazu Falls Argentina side, maybe I will visit the Brazil side. Then on a cruise ship visiting a few days in Brazil and through the Caribbean back to the U.S. I have traveled to many parts of the world and never had to have any vaccinations so far. Princess website is no help, just basically says it is your responsibility to find out and get vaccinations if required.

When we went to South America we did get the YF shots. These are not normally shots that your Primary Care Dr. would have. We set up appointments with a Travel Clinic. My insurance, Kaiser, provided this service for free. We had to bring our itinerary with us and they checked the CDC website to make recommendations on what vaccines were needed. In addition to YF, we also received Typhoid shots (optional but recommended) and since neither of us had received Hep B shots we did a combo Hep A & B series as well. Hubby had to go to the county health dept. for his vaccinations and had to pay .Both travel clinics provided the paperwork to place with your passport to provide proof of vaccination. His insurance didn't cover them since it was travel related. Obviously these are in addition to normal vaccines for tetanus etc. Neither of us had any problems from the vaccines.

How the heck does one find out what vaccinations are MANDATORY/REQUIRED to enter a country or return to the U.S?

A country's embassy/consular website is the best source of country-specific information. A secondary website that is pretty darn good is US Dept of State.

For Argentina, http://www.argentina.travel/en/page/static/acerca

Foreign tourists from neighboring countries only need their ID to enter Argentina. Visitors from other countries must have a valid passport, with or without a visa, as appropriate. It is recommended to check with the nearest embassy or consulate about the current legislation for each country. Visitors from non-bordering countries are exempt from all taxes on personal items or new items worth up to USD 300, as well as an additional USD 300 for items purchased at authorized duty-free shops within the national territory. Tourists can stay in the country for a maximum of 90 days. No vaccination certificates are required to enter the country. Only tourists from countries where cholera and yellow fever are endemic should present proof of being vaccinated against those diseases.

And here's what the US DOS has to say https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/argentina.html

(when possible, the State website will direct you to the appropriate Country-specific websites)

Edited by Hoyaheel

• 1 month later...

I have been googling for the last hour or so and find lots of recommendations and maps, mostly I was on CDC, but I can not locate a DEFINATIVE LIST OF MANDATORY/REQUIRED vaccinations by countries or areas of countries. I do not want to have to have any vaccinations, but I do not want to be turned away upon arrival in a country or put myself at risk. Specifically I will be visiting Argentina and Brazil. I will be in Buenos Aires 3 days and overnight in Iguazu Falls Argentina side, maybe I will visit the Brazil side. Then on a cruise ship visiting a few days in Brazil and through the Caribbean back to the U.S. I have traveled to many parts of the world and never had to have any vaccinations so far. Princess website is no help, just basically says it is your responsibility to find out and get vaccinations if required.

We went to a travel clinic which used the Center for Disease Control guidelines (US). I believe another poster posted a link to that. We had the yellow fever one before we went to Iguazu Falls. We did see some huge mosquitos there. Also had polio booster and Hep series.

The best thing to do is go to a certified Travel Clinic in your area. The YF vaccine can only be given by certified clinics so it is best to check before you go for the visit. It really depends on where you are going on and what activities you are planning to engage in on whether it is a good idea to skip the vaccine and get a waiver. I am going up the Amazon River and although I plan to wear long pants and long sleeves, my doctor did not think it was a good idea to skip the vaccine. It only takes one mosquito in an area where YF is endemic to get the infection and it can be quite serious. I also got the Thyphoid shot and malaria preventative pills as a precaution. Would hate to go all that way and have to miss out on an activity that sounds worthy just because I was not protected.

We are going on a cruise on the Amazon and the travel Dr's department told us we are too old for the yellow fever vaccination although we are both in good health. I am middle 70's and my husband is early 80's. They then told us we shouldn't go to the Amazon. We told them it is too late to cancel. They then said we should stay inside the ship in the air conditioning and not go outside. There seems little point in going if we can't go anywhere. Does anyone have any advice? Does this sound like a medical person who is too conservative. It was at a medical travel center but it wasn't the Dr. I think it was a nurse as the Dr was away. We have a lot of insect repellant and plan on covering up but we are now a bit scared.

Semolina-- I'm of an age myself where I am running down my bucket list of exotic destinations, and now have the phrase posted in daily sight: "adventure before dementia" lol

The acid conditions of the river itself are not conducive to mosquito breeding. You can find lots of travelers' reports of this--no mosquitos while on the water. Yes, the CDC does recommend shots for the entire state, but yes, most travel clinic staff have no personal experience with conditions in Brazil or knowledge of the specific terrain.

Only you can decide for yourselves, but the precautions you describe are usually effective against most mosquitos.

Thank you so much for your reassurance. I have also heard from 3 friends who went cruising on the Amazon and they had no trouble with mosquitoes. We shall use Deet and spray our clothes and we are planning on taking the malaria meds Malarone.

I feel a lot happier now and I am looking forward to the cruise.

I love your phrase 'Adventure before Dementia' I will remember that!

Thanks again

Jennifer

I think it sounds great that the mosquitoes are not 'on the waters' of the Amazon.....but what about in the ports of the Amazon? Does anyone know about this? I am looking into getting the vaccine but waiting to hear from my dr as to whether she will give to someone in early sixties and DH in late 60's.

I think it sounds great that the mosquitoes are not 'on the waters' of the Amazon.....but what about in the ports of the Amazon? Does anyone know about this? I am looking into getting the vaccine but waiting to hear from my dr as to whether she will give to someone in early sixties and DH in late 60's.

Mosquitos that carry yellow fever are not the only ones to worry about, and mosquitos fly during the morning as well as the evening. Common mosquito borne diseases in parts of Brazil include malaria, dengue, and zika, only some of which have vaccines. Your best protection IMO is to do as Semolina describes.

Thank you. Yes we will be taking malaria meds as well as travel with deet, long sleeves, and long pants. It is the Yellow Fever piece I am trying to figure out. I appreciate your advice....it isn't worth taking a chance for sure. Having just traveled to Africa we have all the vaccines covered but we were not in a yellow fever area so did not need to worry about that.