Trying to See the Value of a Drink Package - HELP

Not sure there is much difference in what your are asking. It's 18% on the total bill, so I guess that's each if billed separate or both if billed together.

In any event it's 18% of the total charge.

Edited by jamesr3939

Not sure there is much difference in what your are asking. It's 18% on the total bill, so I guess that's each if billed separate or both if billed together.

In any event it's 18% of the total charge.

Thanks. The drink package deal is new to me. We've never done them yet, initially when we booked the cruise I bought two packages then cancelled them, thinking we'd never consume that much alcohol.

I see now there's that 20% discount running, so it all comes to play, just trying to weigh in the value of the packages. I do like the idea of convenience and not having to worry about calculating every single time we buy drinks. And those frozen drinks running at $10 each - and the package includes gratuities as well.....wow. Worry free drinking!

I'm guessing that even when the ship is tied to the pier in Bayonne, the package deal also covers additional taxes?

Each drink includes a gratuity on the drink package that you prepay and the same if you don't have the drink package the tip is included. Seems to me that you are tipping twice on the drink package,,

You'll pay 18% extra grat on every drink you order over menu price but you pay as you go ala carte.

You'll pay 18% extra grat on the entire drink package price but you don't pay anything else after that on qualifying drinks.

They'll bring you tip slips in either case (sometimes they didn't give them to me with a package) but unless you really want to pay MORE grats for awesome service don't feel obligated.

I think all the packages are great for different folks who would use them enough. The only one I wouldn't get is the highest tier one -- which is basically soda, beer, wine, cocktails + coffee and juice.

I don't drink coffee and extra bucks for OJ every day isn't worth it for me. I'll just order a screwdriver instead. lol

Don't kid yourself, that's a lot of alcohol.

Never said it wasn't.

Not that it has any relevance, one drink an hour won't even put you over the legal limit to drive.

But, that's why I call it "vacation" and not "work."

Edited by jamesr3939

Never said it wasn't.

Not that it has any relevance, one drink an hour won't even put you over the legal limit to drive.

But, that's why I call it "vacation" and not "work."

Amen!

My dh usually hits around where you said in your post, I'm a little lower. But a drink and hour is not bad at all.

Last cruise I was with my sister and mom. We were sitting at the bar after breakfast drinking bellinis- before I knew it, it was lunchtime. But you know what we had a great time chatting away and I wouldn't trade that for the world.

Hey there,

I have a large group of first time cruisers planning for an upcoming sailing so I did some analysis to help them out in making a decision on the drink package.

You can check it out HERE. All the data is based on recent averages on board, obviously there are fluctuating prices and specials for each sailing. But, it should give you enough data to make an educated purchase. :)

9:00 - 11:00 3-4 bloody Mary's (that's about one an hour so hardly slamming) and if you have had them you know they are small glasses.

Did you have some Bloody Mary's before doing that math? :p

9-11 is two hours. 3-4 drinks in two hours is two drinks an hour. :D

I like your chart, except for the 20% off package brings the PP to $44 per day.

Also, I never factor in the 18% it just seems to confuse things and I am paying it no matter if I go ala carte or package.

Except with the package I probably pay less gratuity overall as I am only paying on $44. But again it's probably a matter of cents not $.

Based on the bar menus recently posted here I think your average cost per drink might be a little low, but not enough to be a big deal.

Did you have some Bloody Mary's before doing that math? :p

9-11 is two hours. 3-4 drinks in two hours is two drinks an hour. :D

That would be one at 9, one at 10, and one at 11. So still three spread out over three hours.

No, I didn't have any BM before doing the math, but maybe a few beers!!

That's why I call it "retirement" and not "work."

We don't always get the drink package but when we do we get the premium package and tip extra in cash for better service and no slip. There's more to the package than just alcohol. We used to lug cases of water on the ship too but not since the advent of the packages. Between the convenience, the water, and the alcohol, we always get our money's worth. The only time we don't buy the package is when we have access to the SL. I'm not a big fan of the CL and DL because of the limited menu but on ships with an SL, I can stop in for a couple of beers during the day.

I am almost certain I will not get an alcohol package, but may get the replenish (I drink pop with meals once in awhile and alot of bottled water)

If you literally would just have bottled water and soda, with the occasional drink in there, what about looking at Refreshment and a water package? The water package is 12 one-liters of Evian delivered to your room.

I take out the sodas and smaller Evians from the fridge and put in as many one-liter bottles as I can so I always have at least two cold bottles. I could decant them into another bottle or just put them in my soft backpack.

I don't drink soda, so I don't get that package. But I can't even justify Replenish for myself. I don't drink juice, not even the very tasty fresh squeezed OJ (I had a sip of the glass we bought OOP for DS). Mineral water is so nice, but the bubbles fill me up so I can't drink a lot of it. So really onboard I have my one 16 oz iced latte in the morning (pay out of pocket), I have my water from the water package, and if I want a drink I buy it.

To me that still seems like a lot to drink. I get it's not all alcohol, but it still seems like a lot.

For anyone considering the package, all I suggest is be realistic on what you think you'll drink. Keep in mind port days and how long you'll be off the ship.

Just like some don't want to worry about "wasting" money on an unwanted drink, I don't want to worry about "getting my money's worth" and spending the last two days in an alcohol fog trying to "finish". :D

Very good to know yourself, your stomach capacity, and your tolerance. I thought the exact same thing when I saw that list. That's a lot of liquid in a day!

So a ship day for me starts by going on deck around 9:00 AM and ends around 3:30 - 4:00 PM.

9:00 - 11:00 3-4 bloody Mary's (that's about one an hour so hardly slamming) and if you have had them you know they are small glasses.

11:00 - 4:00 5-6 beers (again about one an hour with some water thrown in)

4:00 - 11:00 PM (1-2 beers on balcony, 1-2 glasses wine at dinner, 2-3 cocktails at a show or hanging in an outdoor space)

So roughly 14 drinks (not counting water) in 14 hours. Granted I tend to taper off a little by day five. Port days would be about half that, but the average cost per drink would be more as my "cheap" beer consumption would be less.

Again, knowing yourself is key!

I have some friends who could do that.

For me, I couldn't even drink 3-4 glasses of tomato juice in 2 hours, let alone adding alcohol to it.

5-6 beers is two days' worth of consumption for me. :)

With your planned out day I'd be passed out somewhere, missing my cruise, while my higher-tolerance buddies partied around me. Gotta know yourself!

Each drink includes a gratuity on the drink package that you prepay and the same if you don't have the drink package the tip is included. Seems to me that you are tipping twice on the drink package,,

?

If you're being asked to sign a slip when on the drink package, you CAN add a tip IF you want to tip extra. If you don't, mark it as zero.

If you buy a drink out of pocket, a tip isn't "included", not really. It's written out for you, sure, but you can see the tip on the slip.

Gonna have to ask my alcohol/drugs counselor friend about that in general, but *for me* it absolutely would put me over in about 3 hours and I would stay over the limit. I'm glad that your liver has an immense work capacity, but my liver seems to slow down the more drinks I have.

Went to a beer festival once. 10 *small* pours in a tiny glass. I think we were there for 3 hours. I think the pours would have ended up being *maybe* 3 pints of beer, IF that? (following your one drink an hour idea...3 pints in 3 hours) My brother cut me off at 7 tastes, so I didn't get to 3 drinks if it was even that equivalent if I'd had all 10. And over the next 2 hours I got drunkER.

My brother and I had been at the festival while my sis in law and my son wandered the fun parts of San Diego together. That night was a cornerstone in my son's future alcohol use, because he saw how idiotic drunk people are. 5 years later he still remembers it, even if I barely do.

(meanwhile my brother seemed totally fine, because he has a much higher tolerance than I do)

Edited by mollyeilis

Thanks everyone for your advice and posts on my thread.

So. Decision time - and the reason(s) why. We decided not to get drink package because....we did some math and calculated that, at most, I'd do at most two beers a day, and we'd both do two drinks each night. If we don't get the drink package we're WELL below the $423 we'd be paying for a nine night cruise.

The OTHER deciding factor was our times in port, we'd be off the ship, drinking out in town, I'd come back to the ship thinking "I need to get my money's worth for the day" and I'd be hammering back more booze than normal.

So....that was my decision. I am aware I'd be getting less $$$ value but overall I just don't consume enough to make it worth my while!

So. Decision time - and the reason(s) why. We decided not to get drink package because....we did some math and calculated that, at most, I'd do at most two beers a day, and we'd both do two drinks each night. If we don't get the drink package we're WELL below the $423 we'd be paying for a nine night cruise.

Good Call!

I guess I should have been clearer on "one drink" and hour. The recognized rule of thumb is "1 oz per hour", so my prior statement needs to be corrected. Most people can burn off one oz of alcohol an hour and not go over the legal limit to drive.

So if you are drinking one of those fishbowl margaritas per hour, good luck! If your drinking a Bud Select 55 (2.8%) it's like drinking flavored water.

The OTHER deciding factor was our times in port, we'd be off the ship, drinking out in town, I'd come back to the ship thinking "I need to get my money's worth for the day" and I'd be hammering back more booze than normal.

So....that was my decision. I am aware I'd be getting less $$$ value but overall I just don't consume enough to make it worth my while!

Yep, you're a light weight. :D I'd pass too if I were you. Kidding of course. Have a great cruise. ;)