Bringing wine onboard, soda pkg ? & I conc app- traveling Escape Sat

tiggerkaj

Hi all. Just trying to finalize some last minute things for our cruise on the Escape this Saturday and had a few questions. We previously have been on Getaway and had the unlimited beverage pkg so a couple of things we didn't have to worry about.

1) I read the policy re bringing wine onboard and understand there is a $15 & up charge. If anyone has done this recently, can you tell me the process for this and do they take the wine or can you take it to your room?

2) Any benefit to purchasing the soda package before the cruise?

3) Anyone use the Iconcierge app where you pay $10 to communicate with other people in your group and if so, pro's/con's? Previously it was just my husband and I so we had no use for it but this time our kids are joining so we were considering this and have read mixed reviews.

TIA for your help. :D

After security, there is a desk where you can tag your wine, pay the corkage fee, and carry on to your room. Do not leave it in your checked luggage.

Sofa package is slightly cheaper when paid in advance

The iConcierge app works well to stay in contact with your group. But it requires folks to carry their phone around.

We brought six bottles on board, packed in a carry on planning to pay the $15 per bottle corkage fee. Arriving at the port we put our carry on bags through the scanner. Obviously, they detected our wine bottles and we were directed to a table where a "security officer" searched our bag. We were then sent over to a table where a young women declared very authoritatively "you will need to pay $15 a bottle for these wines". Well...no kidding I knew that and was waiting for the time to do it! In other words...get ready to feel like you're trying to bring contraband onto the ship. The $15 per bottle is a very reasonable amount for corkage but the system for "declaring " your wine is very strange and it was a little off putting.

Iconcierge is superb for keeping in touch with kids. $7.95 per device unless it's been increased since March.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

$9.95 per device on Escape May 21.

OP, it works great. Just remember not to expect it to be as flawless as regular texting. Sometimes you have to refresh to be sure you didn't miss anything. For the most part, messages show up right away. The sender can view when messages have been delivered and viewed, so that helps. We've used it without issue on 4 cruises now. After check in at the port, go ahead and connect in the terminal and play around while waiting to board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you have the UBP, I wouldn't by the soda package. My kid didn't have the soda package and we had no problem getting him an occasional soda if he wanted off of our card. Otherwise he drank milk or water.

App - I don't think it was mentioned; it's important to DL the app before embarking. I did mine a few months prior to cruise.

Wine- Security will tell you where to go and they will charge to your cabin (even though you haven't checked in yet) It will likely show on your bill as a dining room charge.

It is an easy process and given NCL's wine/champagne selections, I am thrilled to have the option to take my own.

I have only encountered one less than pleasant employee. Like another poster mentioned, she seemed to think I was planning on getting on board w/o paying.

Hi all. Just trying to finalize some last minute things for our cruise on the Escape this Saturday and had a few questions. We previously have been on Getaway and had the unlimited beverage pkg so a couple of things we didn't have to worry about.

1) I read the policy re bringing wine onboard and understand there is a $15 & up charge. If anyone has done this recently, can you tell me the process for this and do they take the wine or can you take it to your room?

2) Any benefit to purchasing the soda package before the cruise?

3) Anyone use the Iconcierge app where you pay $10 to communicate with other people in your group and if so, pro's/con's? Previously it was just my husband and I so we had no use for it but this time our kids are joining so we were considering this and have read mixed reviews.

TIA for your help. :D

We brought six bottles on board, packed in a carry on planning to pay the $15 per bottle corkage fee. Arriving at the port we put our carry on bags through the scanner. Obviously, they detected our wine bottles and we were directed to a table where a "security officer" searched our bag. We were then sent over to a table where a young women declared very authoritatively "you will need to pay $15 a bottle for these wines". Well...no kidding I knew that and was waiting for the time to do it! In other words...get ready to feel like you're trying to bring contraband onto the ship. The $15 per bottle is a very reasonable amount for corkage but the system for "declaring " your wine is very strange and it was a little off putting.

I can't blame them, I bet a lot of people put it in their carryon and hope they get away with it. We brought two bottles on last time, and we told the security guy in advance of putting our carryon onto the belt. That way he knows that I know about the corkage fee and I don't get made to feel like they caught me.

Thank you all for the quick responses!!! This was exactly the detail that I was looking for. I think we will try the IConcierge, have to get the kids to download the app beforehand.

Unfortunately this was a last minute cruise and although online it showed we should get the UBP and dining pkg when I went to pay it froze up and wouldn't process. When I called and provided them pictures that it showed that included they wouldn't honor it because they said it was a glitch in their system. (Guess for the room, etc. it wasn't offered although their online reservation told me otherwise.) As far as the wine goes, I actually fell in love with a wine they have on board but it would be cheaper for me to bring some on board and pay the $15 fee than paying their prices so I am trying to decide if I would want to hassle with it. Knowing my luck, I'll get the lady that thinks I'm trying to sneak it in...lol.

Thanks again....