Sun Penthouse forward suites

puli

Having booked an aft penthouse on the Sun for a 2017 an Alaska cruise tour, we are now having second thoughts after reading multiple comments about the smell of sewerage in the aft of that ship.

In looking toward a cabin switch to a forward penthouse is there any real difference between the ones on deck 9 versus deck 8. and is there a favorite for an Alaskan cruise...I am favoring 9003 but an a little concerned about the post in the center of the room.

I have never been on the Sun so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Having booked an aft penthouse on the Sun for a 2017 an Alaska cruise tour, we are now having second thoughts after reading multiple comments about the smell of sewerage in the aft of that ship.

In looking toward a cabin switch to a forward penthouse is there any real difference between the ones on deck 9 versus deck 8. and is there a favorite for an Alaskan cruise...I am favoring 9003 but an a little concerned about the post in the center of the room.

Although we have not cruised on the Sun, [edit..my mistake, we have] we have done many forward Penthouses on the Jewel class ships, and they are far and away our favorite staterooms.

Nothing else compares to the larger balconies, and the wonderful expansive views from the front of the ship..and after all, that's a big part of what you come to cruise Alaska for, right? If you are doing Glacier Bay, you will be out on your balcony constantly...just bring clothing layers so you can add or subtract as needed.

We have had forward Penthouses with the pole in the cabin on other ships. yes, it's kind of odd, but it never really bothered us.

I'd definitely urge you to try a forward Penthouse for this cruise.

Edited by VideoTech

We sailed in the forward facing corner suite on Deck 8 two weeks ago.(8203) It was awesome, especially considering the smell at the aft of the ship. DH and I think we had the best views of the ship, we used the balcony a LOT! The post in the center of the room was not an issue for us. We had some 8-12ft waves one night that had drawers opening and closing... we asked a couple who were staying in an aft suite how bad the ride was for them and it did not seem to be as rocky back there according to them. Just my thoughts...

Edited by lawgirl86
Wrong room # posted. Thank you

Went back and did my research: We were in #8203 on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Sun back in 2011. While I usually take lots of notes on every cruise, I can't find those as yet, but I do not remember anything negative about the cabin or the balcony.

We were in 9002 on the 5/8 sailing S.F to Vancouver. This is a great room especially for an Alaska sailing. Our view of the scenery was the best on the ship. I posted a detailed review on the trip that includes photos of the balcony and room. Also, no sewage smell in this room.

Realizing that many viewers are also concerned about the sewer odors on the Sun I checked out the forward suites still available for the 2017cruise we had already booked and realized that the forward penthouses were going quickly...so I booked 9003 before someone else grabbed it!.

.I realize 9003 has a pole right in the middle of the room but I like the covered area on the left side of the balcony. If the weather is bad or even just extremely cold I figure I can huddle in the sheltered corner and still see the sights. The balcony appears to be the smallest but that is OK as well since my DH is not really a balcony person.. so there is plenty of room for us.

Also I like having only one next door neighbor. This will not be our first forward suite (had one on the Pearl going through the Panama Canal).so we are prepared for the light/curtain issue and the running footsteps from officers on the bridge over our heads.

We were in 9002 on the 5/8 sailing S.F to Vancouver. This is a great room especially for an Alaska sailing. Our view of the scenery was the best on the ship. I posted a detailed review on the trip that includes photos of the balcony and room. Also, no sewage smell in this room.

Would love the link to your review of your trip. Thanks

The balconies on deck 8 are better based on the shape of the bow.

Forward facing balconies are the only way to cruise Alaska. We spent hours every day on our balcony watching whale, dolphin and the beautiful scenery.

how was the noise being over the kids/teens center?

We decided to stick with our aft balcony. The choices of moving to another balcony are still too close to the aft stairwell.

I wish that I had booked our Alaskan cruise on another ship. Final payment is not due, but we have already booked pre and post tours that we are locked into.

FYI did change to 9002...realized besides not having the pole in the middle of the room the bathroom was bigger and of course the balcony is larger and with the high side dividers the view is more expansiv than in 9003.

• 1 month later...

We have sailed in an aft penthouse on Sun a few months ago. We were in the middle of the sewage smell issue, which reports now may indicate have abated. Even with that, would never swap an aft cabin for a forward one. No wind vs. wind, little movement vs. lots of movement in active seas. You see the same things just in a different perspective so there would be no advantage to a full forward cabin for us.