Tour Guides Pompeii or Herculaneum

jimb98

The going rate a couple of years ago was 100 euro for about a 2 hour tour at Pompeii. The guides would try to gather a group of 10 together and then split the cost at 10 euro per person. Obviously fewer people means more per person.

I never priced the guides at Herculaneum, but assume they work on a similar scale.

Edited to add: I will be at Herculaneum in 3 days' time. If I remember and if I see guides there, I'll ask.

Edited by cruisemom42

It is the same at Herculaneum. The licensed guides (they are the only ones that can takes folks inside) will hang out near the ticket booth and they try to organize small group tours (usually 10 -15 folks) and generally ask for 10€ pp. If you wanted to hire them for a smaller group...you can assume they would want to make at least as much as they would get by putting a larger group together...which would be at least 100€. Supply and demand might work here and you could possibly negotiate a lower price if business was slow...but during the busy spring/summer/fall season that is unlikely.

Hank

The going rate a couple of years ago was 100 euro for about a 2 hour tour at Pompeii. The guides would try to gather a group of 10 together and then split the cost at 10 euro per person. Obviously fewer people means more per person.

I never priced the guides at Herculaneum, but assume they work on a similar scale.

Edited to add: I will be at Herculaneum in 3 days' time. If I remember and if I see guides there, I'll ask.

I did not see any guides at Herculaneum; sorry.

any recommendations you have would be very much appreciated! Would love to do a small group thing that hits both sites.

You can get the Campania Express train at either Porta Nolana or Garibaldi (basement of Napoli Centrale). The one way fare is €4, round trip is €7. The first return on the express train is only an hour later, so that won't work. The second return is just before 3 PM, which is a rather long stay at the ruins. If you want to use the express train on the way back you might consider having lunch in Ercolano after visiting the ruins.

The morning run is just after 9 AM (schedule here: http://www.eavsrl.it/web/it/content/campania-express-2016-1).

To get to Porta Nolana from the cruise port you can use the #1 tram, located in the street in front of the cruise port (Via Cristoforo Colombo).

To get to Garibaldi from the cruise port you can use the same tram or, faster, take the metro from the new Municipio station.

If you don't want to wait for the express train for the return but also want to avoid the crowded Circumvesuviana trains, you could walk to the Trenitalia Portici-Ercolano station (just under one mile) and take a train from there. There are return trains from Portici-Ercolano at 12:35, 12:51, and 13:35.

Edited by euro cruiser

Sorry for appearing a bit thick here.

If I'm going to take the tram and I leave the port, is the tram stop to my left or right and is its direction of travel to the left or right?

If I take the metro how do I get to the station and which metro do I get on?

Cheers,

Jim

At the moment the beginning/end of the tram line is in front of the cruise port, so you can't get on going the wrong way. You can get on the wrong tram, however, so it's important to be sure you get on the #1. The station is in the street in front of the cruise port, if you make a google map of Via Cristoforo Colombo, 248, 80133 Napoli, Italy (the cruise port) and go to street view you'll see the tram line in the road on Via Cristoforo Colombo.

For the metro, the entrance is just a block or so up Piazza Municipio (on the north side, the right when facing Naples from the port with the water at your back). Here you can't get on the wrong train as there is only one currently using the (brand new) station (line 1), but you can get on in the wrong direction. Follow the signs for Garibaldi/Napoli Centrale. It will be the second stop (and the last one for this line).

For the metro you can purchase your ticket in the station and it is validated when you go through the turnstyles.

For the tram you can purchase a ticket at the newsstand on the corner and you must validate it by stamping it in the machine inside the tram car.