Mr. Busby’s Beach Bar

miss_rach

How is this place? Can you beach snorkel from the beach there? Are there lounge chairs and shade available? Wife doesn't like to sit out in the sun for hours while we snorkel, she'd rather drink rum punch and get some conch salad or some sort of local food...

If this isn't a good place, where can we get to while we're there for the day on the cruise?

Cheers!

How is this place? Can you beach snorkel from the beach there? Are there lounge chairs and shade available? Wife doesn't like to sit out in the sun for hours while we snorkel, she'd rather drink rum punch and get some conch salad or some sort of local food...

If this isn't a good place, where can we get to while we're there for the day on the cruise?

Cheers!

The only gripe I have with Busbys is how difficult they make it (or at least have made it) to park on their property - even if you get chairs from them and promise to buy lunch, they hassle you - otherwise a fine place and if the sea conditions cooperate, there is some OK snorkeling. If you are arriving by taxi it is a moot point.

Your wife sounds like an extremely intelligent person.

The only gripe I have with Busbys is how difficult they make it (or at least have made it) to park on their property - even if you get chairs from them and promise to buy lunch, they hassle you - otherwise a fine place and if the sea conditions cooperate, there is some OK snorkeling. If you are arriving by taxi it is a moot point.

Your wife sounds like an extremely intelligent person.

The problem is that there is very little parking along that road (which ends at Oyster Bay Beach Resort) serving Busby's, the small grocery and several restaurants - as well as being the best access to Dawn Beach. Busby's has limited parking space - which they want to keep clear for taxis, and which would be bumper to bumper jammed if word got out that it gave free parking for beach-goers. What little space they have, they want to make available to people to actually eat there rather than just "...promise to buy lunch" - whose cars would sit for many hours rather than just the time it takes to use the restaurant.

Years ago, you could park if you were going to eat there and it was not a big deal. You are right about relatively small area and you sometimes had to find the guy blocking you in - but it seemed overall a much more enjoyable and relaxing experience. We very rarely go there any more unless we are getting there early enough that we know there will be a place to park off their property.

The problem is that there is very little parking along that road (which ends at Oyster Bay Beach Resort) serving Busby's, the small grocery and several restaurants - as well as being the best access to Dawn Beach. Busby's has limited parking space - which they want to keep clear for taxis, and which would be bumper to bumper jammed if word got out that it gave free parking for beach-goers. What little space they have, they want to make available to people to actually eat there rather than just "...promise to buy lunch" - whose cars would sit for many hours rather than just the time it takes to use the restaurant.

How do they know who is going to eat there and who is just parking there to visit the beach? Do they have a parking attendant there now?

How do they know who is going to eat there and who is just parking there to visit the beach? Do they have a parking attendant there now?

I think their wait staff are instructed to keep their eyes open - and if they see someone walking through to get to the beach rather than asking for a table, they will ask them to move their car. Going through the restaurant is about the only way to get to the beach if you are not staying at one of the beachside facilities.

I've noticed that happening a couple of times.

I think their wait staff are instructed to keep their eyes open - and if they see someone walking through to get to the beach rather than asking for a table, they will ask them to move their car. Going through the restaurant is about the only way to get to the beach if you are not staying at one of the beachside facilities.

I've noticed that happening a couple of times.

I have come in a little further down the beach from them. Is there parking on the right?

Since the thread is also about snorkeling, we would mention that the conditions at Dawn Beach are often not conducive to snorkeling or even swimming. If the off shore winds are blowing, the water at Dawn can be very rough and also too sandy for decent snorkeling. On our last 3 visits we ran into these conditions...and took ourselves elsewhere on the island.

Hank

I have come in a little further down the beach from them. Is there parking on the right?

On Emerald Merit Road - which goes past Busby's and ends at the Oyster Bay Beach Resort - there is a strip for about a dozen cars on the left hand side - next to the small grocery; on the right , between Busby's and the resort there is a fairly large field between the road and some condos on the beach - that field is gated, and seems reserved for use by the condos, but there have been times when the gate has been left open and I have noticed many cars parked there - I really do not know if they are condo tenants or if some parking arrangements are made. I do not recall any roadside parking on the right.

On Emerald Merit Road - which goes past Busby's and ends at the Oyster Bay Beach Resort - there is a strip for about a dozen cars on the left hand side - next to the small grocery; on the right , between Busby's and the resort there is a fairly large field between the road and some condos on the beach - that field is gated, and seems reserved for use by the condos, but there have been times when the gate has been left open and I have noticed many cars parked there - I really do not know if they are condo tenants or if some parking arrangements are made. I do not recall any roadside parking on the right.

Is Oyster Beach the resort that has or had Beau Beaus restaurant? I think this is the road that we use but I thought that Busby's parking was on the right just behind the bar. We go either earlier in the morning or after 3 so I don't remember parking to be a problem.

Right, Beau Beau's was on the OBBR property. The parking at Busby's is not along the road, but in their small open field. The regular roadside parking (on the other side of the road) probably has spots available early in the day, and possibly late afternoon - when a lot of the beach goers have left and the diners have not shown up for dinner at the several restaurants. Because we stay at OBBR and only drive when we are heading for different areas, I have never had to look for parking along that road.

Right, Beau Beau's was on the OBBR property. The parking at Busby's is not along the road, but in their small open field. The regular roadside parking (on the other side of the road) probably has spots available early in the day, and possibly late afternoon - when a lot of the beach goers have left and the diners have not shown up for dinner at the several restaurants. Because we stay at OBBR and only drive when we are heading for different areas, I have never had to look for parking along that road.

Ok. Thanks, that's what I thought. Did they open another restaurant where Beau Beau's was?

Ok. Thanks, that's what I thought. Did they open another restaurant where Beau Beau's was?

I heard in February that the resort was going to open up their own restaurant - after refusing to renew Beau Beau's lease. Beau Beau's was far more popular than the resort's restaurant - which had lack luster service and uninspiring food; and I suspect the resort resented the competition.

I expect that they will open something there before the next winter season, it would be a shame to not use that ideal location. I just hope they do as good a job as Beau Beau did.

I heard in February that the resort was going to open up their own restaurant - after refusing to renew Beau Beau's lease. Beau Beau's was far more popular than the resort's restaurant - which had lack luster service and uninspiring food; and I suspect the resort resented the competition.

I expect that they will open something there before the next winter season, it would be a shame to not use that ideal location. I just hope they do as good a job as Beau Beau did.

I think that's an ideal location for a casual fine dining restaurant with Oyster Pond Resort, the Weston and the condos and villas in that area. It's seems to be an under serviced restaurant area if that's possible in St. Maarten. :D

I think that's an ideal location for a casual fine dining restaurant with Oyster Pond Resort, the Weston and the condos and villas in that area. It's seems to be an under serviced restaurant area if that's possible in St. Maarten. :D

The only problem with that site for "fine dining" is its odd access. You either have to walk along the beach from Busby's - or even further away - or have access (as a guest) to enter through the OBBR side - meaning a long walk, because only cars of OBBR guests are allowed through the gate.

The only problem with that site for "fine dining" is its odd access. You either have to walk along the beach from Busby's - or even further away - or have access (as a guest) to enter through the OBBR side - meaning a long walk, because only cars of OBBR guests are allowed through the gate.

Casual fine dining is Gormet food without dressing up. Like the restaurants in Grand Case. It's the best of both worlds because it's great food and you can go in shorts and sandals.

• 3 weeks later...
Since the thread is also about snorkeling, we would mention that the conditions at Dawn Beach are often not conducive to snorkeling or even swimming. If the off shore winds are blowing, the water at Dawn can be very rough and also too sandy for decent snorkeling. On our last 3 visits we ran into these conditions...and took ourselves elsewhere on the island.

Hank

Since we are on a cruise ship and won't really know the wind situation until we get off the ship I'd rather not risk going out there and its blown out.

We're is a place where we can get chairs, drink, food and snorkel and don't have to worry about the ocean being blown out?

Since we are on a cruise ship and won't really know the wind situation until we get off the ship I'd rather not risk going out there and its blown out.

We're is a place where we can get chairs, drink, food and snorkel and don't have to worry about the ocean being blown out?

Little Bay, just to the west of Phillipsburg, and Mullet Bay, a bit past the airport, face south and southwest and are more sheltered and less likely to be impacted by the larger waves which might be experienced on east facing Dawn and north facing Orient - and I have heard that there is decent snorkeling at both.

The only virtually guaranteed calm beach is Le Galion - which has no real snorkeling unless you go way out to the reef - where you would experience the same sea conditions likely at Dawn.

We honestly have never found such a place on St Maarten. The truth is that the island is not known for good snorkeling off beaches. But if you take away your snorkel requirement, Le Galion has chair rentals, a decent little cafe, and the water is very sheltered from the wind. Mullet Bay is also usually pretty calm or will have the wind coming from the shoreside.

Hank