Golf in Bermuda - Breakaway

Maddaw08

We would recommend Port Royal - Home of the Grand Slam - beautiful course.

We booked with Golf Now - it was approx. $140pp (we played in Sept.)

Rental clubs were $25pp - new Taylor Made, just brought our shoes & accessories.

We took a cab to the course and the bus back to the Dockyard. It was the closest course to the ship. They were very nice - took us to the bus stop via golf cart. Don't forget to buy a bag tag - nice souvenir. :)

Be forwarned, the NCL excursions is solely for the green fees/cart. No rental clubs and no transportation to/from the course is available/offered through NCL.

So you are basically paying NCL to pay the course your green fee and you still have to transport your self and bring/rent clubs.

Looks as though you can get better rates elsewhere on green fees/cart.

A lot of people on our Breakaway cruise, disembarked in Bermuda with their golf clubs and actually went to stay in golf resorts on the island for the nights we were there so they could get up really early in the morning and play golf!

The Mid Ocean Club golf course was built in 1921 and has lots of historical significance - played by many world figures over the years like Churchill, Roosevelt. It is one of the top 100 golf courses in the world. It is still a private club but visitors are allowed to play:

http://www.themidoceanclubbermuda.com/Golf-(1).aspx

Here is the "secret" as to how to get your tee time at this course:

http://www.golfvacationinsider.com/caribbean-golf-vacations/bermuda-golf-mid-ocean-club-6040

Belmont Hills is another great golf resort:

http://www.newsteadbelmonthills.com/en/default.html

We were in Bermuda last week and my husband golfed at Port Royal. What a beautiful course. I booked his tee time through Golf Now for 12:20pm at $84 the week before we left. We live in New York and drove to the pier so we brought his clubs with us. I paid $25 as a non golfer and I'm glad I did....unbelievable course, especially the 16th hole.

ImageUploadedByForums1465485150.421676.jpg.80fa4dbc24b721eb053d63cfac903064.jpg

Edited by DPJAF

A lot of people on our Breakaway cruise, disembarked in Bermuda with their golf clubs and actually went to stay in golf resorts on the island for the nights we were there so they could get up really early in the morning and play golf!

The Mid Ocean Club golf course was built in 1921 and has lots of historical significance - played by many world figures over the years like Churchill, Roosevelt. It is one of the top 100 golf courses in the world. It is still a private club but visitors are allowed to play:

http://www.themidoceanclubbermuda.com/Golf-(1).aspx

Here is the "secret" as to how to get your tee time at this course:

http://www.golfvacationinsider.com/caribbean-golf-vacations/bermuda-golf-mid-ocean-club-6040

I absolutely HATE when people call Bermuda a " Caribbean " Island!!! Like in the article talking about how to get free tee time! NOTHING like Caribbean Islands, people are friendly, they dont bug you when you get off the ship to buy their stuff etc, etc!!! :rolleyes:

This one is located on a beautiful island in the Caribbean, it was designed by the father of American golf course architecture….and it’s private.

Edited by Diane123boys

• 7 months later...
We were in Bermuda last week and my husband golfed at Port Royal. What a beautiful course. I booked his tee time through Golf Now for 12:20pm at $84 the week before we left. We live in New York and drove to the pier so we brought his clubs with us. I paid $25 as a non golfer and I'm glad I did....unbelievable course, especially the 16th hole.

[ATTACH]387647[/ATTACH]

What was your experience like bringing clubs onboard... were there any extra fees? Issues.. etc? Thanks!

What was your experience like bringing clubs onboard... were there any extra fees? Issues.. etc? Thanks!

We rented at Port Royal, $25-new clubs- nothing like having your own though. We just brought our shoes & accessories. You'll love the course!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we played at Port Royal in September of 2015. We found a "cruise ship" rate that was $150 but included club rental. Took the bus to the course and played. It's an amazing course! We had to walk up the hill but they drove us back down in a golf cart. I think next time I'd take a taxi. I'm not sure if that rate is still available, we booked on line before we left on the cruise. I would highly recommend it.

I purchased a golf travel case from Amazon for $50 and put the golf bag in the case, zipped it up, and put a luggage tag on it. Dropped the clubs and our other luggage off with a dock porter and they were delivered to our room. Had no problem fitting them in the closet. Very easy to walk off the ship with them and no problem coming back after golf.

we played at Port Royal in September of 2015. We found a "cruise ship" rate that was $150 but included club rental. Took the bus to the course and played. It's an amazing course! We had to walk up the hill but they drove us back down in a golf cart. I think next time I'd take a taxi. I'm not sure if that rate is still available, we booked on line before we left on the cruise. I would highly recommend it.

Any idea what taxi fare is from port to Port Royal? Thanks.

Any idea what taxi fare is from port to Port Royal? Thanks.

If I recall correctly I paid $20 including the tip I gave. The gentlemen at the taxi stand will let you know the rates.

You are not permitted to bring golf clubs on the bus.

If you are limited by time or ability,but would like to experience a round of golf in Bermuda, I would suggest the course at the Fairmont Southampton Princess. It is a lovely,well maintained course where some of the holes have water views.

It is a par three golf course ,therefore it can be played in less time than a full course.

We have not played it ( too hot when we were there ), but we have made purchases at the pro shop there. The staff was friendly and helpful.

We would highly recommend Port Royal, beautiful course. Easy and quick to get there, just grab a cab at the pier.

If your a Haven guest your clubs will be carried down for you and put into the cab. The conssier made our tee times for us.

Also, after our round the course was happy to store our clubs so we could go into town for lunch and picked them up on the way back. Everyone is very accommodating.

Can't wait to go back again next year.

Port Royal would be my 1st choice. Close to where the ship docks and an easy Taxi ride. I brought my own clubs; don't like playing championship courses with rental stuff.

I always just bring my clubs with me (In a traveling case) when boarding the ship. One of the dock guys said he wouldn't want to risk the damage that could occur by checking them at the pier. Easy process and since we usually board around 1:00pm, the cabins are ready and I just take the clubs straight to the room. No problem getting them through security.

I'm a 4 handicap golfer, but I lost a couple of balls at Port Royal -- so bring extras if you tend to be a bit wild off the tee.:rolleyes::) Golf balls are really expensive in Bermuda.

I too used Golf Now and booked a late morning rate below $100.

Tough course and the home of the Grand Slam (Winners of the four majors). Everything is up hill or down hill in Bermuda -- no level lies.

Enjoy!

Kel

If you are limited by time or ability,but would like to experience a round of golf in Bermuda, I would suggest the course at the Fairmont Southampton Princess. It is a lovely,well maintained course where some of the holes have water views.

It is a par three golf course ,therefore it can be played in less time than a full course.

We have not played it ( too hot when we were there ), but we have made purchases at the pro shop there. The staff was friendly and helpful.

I have played every course in Bermuda and actually do love the par 3 South Hampton Princess.... perfect if you want a quick round... and has spectacular views!

• 2 months later...
playing port royal on May 11th aboard the Breakaway. the excursion time says 8:30 but will I be given a specific tee time at some point how does that work?

http://www.portroyalgolf.bm/

check their webpage... they have the $150 pp rate back that includes club rental if you are interested.

we booked our own tee time with the course, not as an excursion...

http://www.portroyalgolf.bm/

check their webpage... they have the $150 pp rate back that includes club rental if you are interested.

we booked our own tee time with the course, not as an excursion...

It was actually cheaper to book through the ship, because i am a latitudes silver member I get a discount on excursions and I'd rather use my own clubs than rentals. rented on my honeymoon in hawaii and it was absolutely terrible.