Help me with my DREAM

tblank7

The wife and I would love some assistance on picking a room. We are trying to find the best value for our money. Not the cheapest or most expensive room, but where the pros outweigh the cons for the difference in price.

Here is a rundown on what I have so far with the early saver pricing:

Aft-View Extended Balcony - $2,047.78 (The ones with the extra balcony space next to the wrap Vista Balconies ex. 9474/9477, 8468/8475, 7456/7461)

Balcony - $1,872.78 (larger balconies for 8462/8469 & 7448/74550)

Cove Balcony - $1,737.78 (avoiding the ones under the galley)

Spa Interior - $1,467.78 (panorama with some spa access included)

Interior - $1,377.78 (middle/empress across from suites)

Please help us turn our nightmares into a DREAM!

(PUN INTENDED) :)

The wife and I would love some assistance on picking a room. We are trying to find the best value for our money. Not the cheapest or most expensive room, but where the pros outweigh the cons for the difference in price.

Here is a rundown on what I have so far with the early saver pricing:

Aft-View Extended Balcony - $2,047.78 (The ones with the extra balcony space next to the wrap Vista Balconies ex. 9474/9477, 8468/8475, 7456/7461)

Balcony - $1,872.78 (larger balconies for 8462/8469 & 7448/74550)

Cove Balcony - $1,737.78 (avoiding the ones under the galley)

Spa Interior - $1,467.78 (panorama with some spa access included)

Interior - $1,377.78 (middle/empress across from suites)

Please help us turn our nightmares into a DREAM!

(PUN INTENDED) :)

Before answering, can I ask a few questions?

Do you plan on using the spa more than once or twice?

Are you big "sun bathing" people or otherwise enjoy a private area in the open air?

I know I have my favorite/dream, but those two questions should help in getting a better understanding of what your "Dream" is.

I've stayed in an interior, a balcony, and a cove balcony. Coves are by far my favorite! In fact, I will never stay in an interior again if I can help it! Different people prefer different rooms of course, but I highly recommend a cove. It's closer to the water, more secluded, and slightly larger than a regular balcony. We are staying in one for the 3rd time and I can't wait!

Before answering, can I ask a few questions?

Do you plan on using the spa more than once or twice?

Are you big "sun bathing" people or otherwise enjoy a private area in the open air?

I know I have my favorite/dream, but those two questions should help in getting a better understanding of what your "Dream" is.

We would visit the spa more than a couple of times if we knew it was something we would enjoy, but we have never experienced a 'Thalassotherapy Pool' or 'Thermal Suite'. If the thermal suite is similar to a typical sauna I don't think the wife would be as interested.

Neither of us mind sun-bathing at the beach and like the idea of a private area to get some space from the other ~4,000 people on the ship.

I have to assume those prices are for 2 for 7 days

That is correct. I have heard a lot of good things about booking vacations with Costco so that is the route I was going to go with. Everything I saw had the same early saver rates as Carnival's site, but Costco throws in a Costco Gift Card for $70-140 depending which room is selected.

We always book Lido balcony on a ship that has rooms on Lido (Spirit class does not). We have sailed twice on Dream and booked 10236 both times and loved it. So convenient to pools and food.

The cove balcony is my favorite room no matter the price difference between it and a higher category room. I think for the price, it cannot be beat! Just being outside in the morning and/or at night and being so close to the water is amazing.

Funny how people are different, many love the cove but I rather up a bit over looking the ports when we arrive and leave. Deck nine if you going to use spa, which neither my wife or I ever do more than once. We like Lido balcony which we have booked for December 2016 which means quick trip to the food and open air of Lido deck. So often don't have to wait for elevators and if on Lido forward elevators never busy.

I don't see a Cloud 9 Spa Balcony, we loved ours. We will only do balconies, nothing like room service wake up call, coffee, pastries, and OJ.

The Spa Balcony would have put us a couple hundred over our ~$2k cabin budget ... glad you received good room service!

We always book Lido balcony on a ship that has rooms on Lido (Spirit class does not). We have sailed twice on Dream and booked 10236 both times and loved it. So convenient to pools and food.

This was my biggest concern with the cove balcony was being so far away from the Lido, but being closer to the water and saving ~$300 over the aft is what makes this a difficult decision!

Are these the correct dimensions for the balcony sizes on the Dream?

Cove: 45 sq ft

Regular: 35 sq ft

Aft: 50 sq ft (~65 sq ft when next to premium vista wrap)

Thanks for all of the responses! :)

Balcony cabins 7448 and 7455 are next to the aft wraps and have extra long balconies for the same price as regular balconies on the same deck. Deck 5/lack of privacy is a non-issue since it does not protrude out in the aft. Would recommend these.

Balcony cabins 7448 and 7455 are next to the aft wraps and have extra long balconies for the same price as regular balconies on the same deck. Deck 5/lack of privacy is a non-issue since it does not protrude out in the aft. Would recommend these.

Thank you for that information. The trip i'm planning is over 8 months away and 7448/7445 and 8462/8469 have already been taken! :(

Is it true that the aft ext balconies next to the aft wraps also have extra space than the ones on the inside? (8468/8475 and 7456/7461)

Thank you for that information. The trip i'm planning is over 8 months away and 7448/7445 and 8462/8469 have already been taken! :(

Is it true that the aft ext balconies next to the aft wraps also have extra space than the ones on the inside? (8468/8475 and 7456/7461)

Too bad they're already taken. Can you spring for the wrap? You get the best of both worlds. Beautiful wake in the aft and breezy side balcony with privacy.

We had the aft wrap and the side cabin next to 7448 but not the aft next to the wrap. Looking at the deck plan, though, 7456/7461 cabins look less deep than the ones toward the center. Beware the aft facing cabins get really hot in the summer as there is little air movement back there. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Too bad they're already taken. Can you spring for the wrap? You get the best of both worlds. Beautiful wake in the aft and breezy side balcony with privacy.

We had the aft wrap and the side cabin next to 7448 but not the aft next to the wrap. Looking at the deck plan, though, 7456/7461 cabins look less deep than the ones toward the center. Beware the aft facing cabins get really hot in the summer as there is little air movement back there. Good luck!

Would the aft facing cabins be too hot during April? It would be an Eastern or Western Caribbean trip. Thanks!

This was my biggest concern with the cove balcony was being so far away from the Lido, but being closer to the water and saving ~$300 over the aft is what makes this a difficult decision!

To be honest, how "far" are you really from the Lido. Not really far at all, as where can't you get within 5 mins on a cruise? Nowhere.

IMO the Cove's are a great idea/room. Now I"m not volunteering to pay more, but I'd book them for a non-Cove price. <--Let's hope nobody from Carnival reads that!

Whatever room you decide on, you're going to have a killer time!

QUOTE=tblank7;50211638]That is correct. I have heard a lot of good things about booking vacations with Costco so that is the route I was going to go with. Everything I saw had the same early saver rates as Carnival's site, but Costco throws in a Costco Gift Card for $70-140 depending which room is selected.

To the best of my knowledge Costco doesn't sell Carnival Cruises. At least in Edmonton they don't.

My 2 cents: hubby & I love the coves. Easy to disembark on port days. Easy walk to MDR. We book near the forward elevators, therefore easy to get to Lido in an elevator. We try to choose a cabin below shore excursions/guest services desk- quiet. We enjoy watching people getting back on the ship from our port side cove. The negatives are- very little sun, they are built into the hull of the ship- therefore metal, possible sea spray daily, water from crew spraying down the decks.

But you need to decide what is most important to you. We loved the Dream, so far she is our favorite Carnival ship. The photo in my signature is from the Dream's atrium.

Edited by Banditswife

We were in 8475 last fall. While I love the view aft there is no overhang therefore no shade. The balcony was a bit bigger and we did get the dreaded black burnoff one night. Unfortunately it was night, I didn't see it and ruined a pair of pants :(. If looking at a spa, go deck 11 as deck 12 offers little privacy.

We're trying a cove in October, so excited to try something different!

Have fun planning your cruise!