Liquor

KyOh

We're on Viking Homelands staying in DV cabin. We're flying into Oslo on our own for the Norway in a Nutshell before beginning the cruise in Bergen. We'll be checking luggage from the US and claiming it in Oslo. Could we put some liquor in our checked bags in the US to take on the cruise? How much liquor are we allowed to bring into Norway?

Thanks for any help.

Why not just buy what you want in the duty-free shop before you board the airplane? Or buy it when you get to Oslo? Seems a lot better than worrying about the bottles breaking in your checked luggage.

To find out the limits, try Googling "norway duty-free alcohol limits"

Edited by Peregrina651

I recommend buying at a duty free shop unless it is something you can only find in the US. I have found that sometimes it is less at the airport than in the states. Some airport duty free shops are on line and you can check if they carry what you are looking for.

Not sure what and how much you are wanting to bring but honestly I'm not sure I'd want to lug my spirits along for the Norway in a Nutshell trip. You'll be on and off at least 3 separate trains, a ferry and a bus and you'll be handling your own luggage. I'd be inclined to just wait and buy in Bergen. It will probably cost more than at the airport but to me it might be worth it!!

We are booked on the same cruise for 2018 and I am going to go three days early and buy some wine/champagne before I get onto the ship. I have done this before on other cruises and it's easy. I bought a case for Alaska and the Panama canal for another cruise line. I don't think we will buy a case for this cruise since wine and beer is included.

We are booked on the same cruise for 2018 and I am going to go three days early and buy some wine/champagne before I get onto the ship. I have done this before on other cruises and it's easy. I bought a case for Alaska and the Panama canal for another cruise line. I don't think we will buy a case for this cruise since wine and beer is included.

Some people like to buy the wine along the way so that they can sample local wines (and spirits).

I like your idea buying wines along the way. Great idea!!

LOL. Can't lay claim to the idea, just reporting what others have reported.

However, if you read enough of the Viking literature, you will see that the idea of sampling the local vintage, brew or spirits actually comes from Viking.

Now you have some research to do. What are the local vintages and tipples for each port?

We lived in Oslo for a short time a number of years ago and, based on our experience, I would encourage you to buy alcohol and other specialty items in the duty free shop in the airport. Alcohol is very expensive, as are most things in Norway, and you need to go to a government store to purchase it. At the time we were there, the lines were quite long to buy the alcohol and the selection was limited. Seems we were paying at least $30 for a wine that cost $12 in the US. Again, our experience is from a number of years ago, so do an Internet search and find out what the situation is like now.

We lived in Oslo for a short time a number of years ago and, based on our experience, I would encourage you to buy alcohol and other specialty items in the duty free shop in the airport. Alcohol is very expensive, as are most things in Norway, and you need to go to a government store to purchase it. At the time we were there, the lines were quite long to buy the alcohol and the selection was limited. Seems we were paying at least $30 for a wine that cost $12 in the US. Again, our experience is from a number of years ago, so do an Internet search and find out what the situation is like now.

Only the first four days plus whatever time OP is spending doing Norway in a Nutshell are in Norway, so maybe he only needs to buy enough in the duty-free shop on his way over to cover the start of his trip.

Lil Rascal--seriously, "by the case"? I wanna be on your cruise to party! I'll bring the chips.

I like your thinking. We are celebrating our 25th Wedding Anniversary after all. :) I wonder if the wines from the Baltic area are very good? Being from California we have some really good wines that are not too expensive. We live in Escondido and we have some nice small family owned wineries that we go to often.

A friend asked if hard liquor could be brought on board the ship. I said I thought so. Is that true? I think he's interested in bringing a bottle of vodka, not wine, and he's embarking in Miami for a Caribbean cruise - if that makes a difference.

A friend asked if hard liquor could be brought on board the ship. I said I thought so. Is that true? I think he's interested in bringing a bottle of vodka, not wine, and he's embarking in Miami for a Caribbean cruise - if that makes a difference.

Is he bringing a bottle or a case? :rolleyes:

Somebody asked that question today in another thread. Check posts 3 & 4 in this thread. The two posts talk about bring liquor on board.

Vana Tallin is a liqueur that, from what I understand, is blended in Tallinn (yes, I finally got it right...Tallinn has two l's and two n's). It contains rum among other ingredients. The shop at the pier was giving samples when we were there at the end of the day in port. If you Google it, you find many people trying to find some in the US to no avail. I enjoyed trying something new, including Aquavit. I got these ideas from the Viking videos that are available online before your trip and on the TV in your stateroom while you are there. The info-talk about Tallinn before we arrived said to be sure to try VanaTallinn but did not say where to find it. I had to walk quite a distance to get to a liquor store to buy some, and then found it at the pier.

If you know what you want you can pre-order liquor in the duty free shops. We did that in London and were on our way in less than 5 minutes. It was all packaged and ready to go when we arrived. This really helps if you are pressed for time between flights.

If you know what you want you can pre-order liquor in the duty free shops. We did that in London and were on our way in less than 5 minutes. It was all packaged and ready to go when we arrived. This really helps if you are pressed for time between flights.

When I first read this, I thought well that will only work if you have a departing flight from an international area. But, last night I was looking at the map for the international arrival terminal 5 at Heathrow and I see that a duty-free shop is located right in the baggage claim area, right at the exit to the controlled-area. Ya learn something new every day!!

Little Rascal-- Not sure how the wines compare that are from the Baltic--hope to find out though! Probably pretty good quality as we have had some really nice wines in other European cities. Of course, all are hard to meet the quality of California wines (we are from the Napa area). Did you see the movie "Bottle Shock"? Kinda says it all.

• 2 weeks later...

A If you want to buy alcohol in Norway, speak to your bank manager first, and If you have a drink, even a wee one, don't drive.

B The Spanish have a nasty law which allows them to charge VAT (purchase or sales tax) on board when the ship is in Spanish waters, which usually means in port and nearby. Therefore, the cost of your glass of wine, soft drink or anything else purchased on board at this time will attract this tax. The purser can explain when he has to tax.

Liquor in London is very expensive - 30 pounds for Grey Goose - we pay $33 Cdn for it in Canada

I have not seen Bottle shock but I will look for it. :) We live in Southern California in a wine region too. San Pasquale Valley and Temecula is close to us too. They are not as popular or famous as Napa but has some nice California wines. Yes, it's hard being from a state with such great wines, we are spoiled and you more so living in Napa. Cheer's!