Question about excursions

We are so excited about our upcoming cruise to the baltics in September on Voyager. Have booked our excursions and now wondering if the ones that indicate stops for meals are "included" , or if we will need to arrange for appropriate currency to pay? Also wondering if credit cards are generally accepted in most ports of call, or how most of you handled onshore spending.

I know the excursion itself is an inclusion, but what about entry to any of the sights, drinks, meals, etc.

Also wondering if we cancel an included excursion because of weather or tiredness, what is the penalty fee?

Thanks everyone!

Debbie

We are so excited about our upcoming cruise to the baltics in September on Voyager. Have booked our excursions and now wondering if the ones that indicate stops for meals are "included" , or if we will need to arrange for appropriate currency to pay? Also wondering if credit cards are generally accepted in most ports of call, or how most of you handled onshore spending.

I know the excursion itself is an inclusion, but what about entry to any of the sights, drinks, meals, etc.

Also wondering if we cancel an included excursion because of weather or tiredness, what is the penalty fee?

Thanks everyone!

Debbie

If you booked your excursions online, you would have seen the price of any that actually cost money. They are called "Choice" excursions. If the excursions you booked are all "included", and it indicates a meal, the description of the excursion should specify what is included, i.e., the meal itself, non-alcoholic drinks, etc. Sometimes they will mention that there is beer or wine included, for example, sometimes not. But there should be no extra charge, if it's a free, included excursion, and the meal is mentioned in the description. So you may want to take currency to pay for an alcoholic drink, if it's not mentioned in the description as being included. Your onshore spending is at your discretion, and whether venues take credit cards will vary.

When you board and get your excursion tickets, they should each mention a cancel-by time. You should certain cancel and hand in your tickets if you change your minds, but I don't believe there is a penalty for not doing so.

See answers in red below:

We are so excited about our upcoming cruise to the baltics in September on Voyager. Have booked our excursions and now wondering if the ones that indicate stops for meals are "included" , or if we will need to arrange for appropriate currency to pay?

If the description details a meal and there is a knife/fork sign by the excursion then the meal is included

Also wondering if credit cards are generally accepted in most ports of call, or how most of you handled onshore spending.

As with most parts of the world, credit cards are accepted in some establishments but not all

Entry fees are included; meals/snacks etc are included if detailed in the tour description; Regent have chilled bottles of water available at the gangway to take with you on your excursion. It is normal to tip the guide and driver if they have given good service

No penalty fee for cancelled included excursions, but out of courtesy you should cancel as early as possible and hand back your tickets to the Destinations desk; this will allow spaces to be freed up for anyone on a wait-list. Paid-for excursions have a cancellation date/time on the tickets before which you can obtain a refund

Have a great time on your cruise, and if you have any other queries about the excursions or ports-of-call speak to the Destinations staff on-board to get definitive answers

Thanks!!

Didn't think of tipping....as I was under the impression it was included. How much do you recommend? Since it's an included tour, and different countries with different customs, I have no idea what would be an appropriate or expected amount.

Thanks!!

Didn't think of tipping....as I was under the impression it was included. How much do you recommend? Since it's an included tour, and different countries with different customs, I have no idea what would be an appropriate or expected amount.

Right, forgot about that. Shore excursion tips are not included. Not always necessary, sometimes nice if you feel they are deserved. What countries will you be touring?

Unless you receive poor service on an excursion, you should definitely tip. Suggest Googling "tipping tour guides" and you'll find tipping guidelines for the driver and tour guide for both full and half day excursions.

While Regent is all-inclusive onboard the ship, Regent makes it clear that this does not include tips for excursions that are provided by contractors.

P.S. Here is a link to several websites with guidelines for tipping on tours. https://www.bing.com/search?q=tipping+guidelines+for+tour+operators&form=IE11TR&src=IE11TR&pc=EUPP_DCJB&toHttps=1&redig=54CB5920785B47DA9371B4F76D0B6E2E

Thanks!!

Don't want to start a 'tipping war' but IMO tipping is a personal decision and you definitely should not feel obligated one way or the other.

If you do decide to tip the guide and/or driver, a few dollars or euros will suffice. For most of the countries you are visiting on your Baltic cruise either the local currency or euros would be preferable

Edited by flossie009
minor edit

Sorry flossie to disagree and I don't want to start a tipping war; but, most guides are paid, even in Europe on the assumption that they will be tipped. DW and I travel extensively in Europe both cruising and independent travel. I have talked to our TA, managers of travel agencies in Europe and of course the guides themselves. Tipping is expected, the amount, of course depends on the service and a number of factors including the cost of the tour. It is possible the answers I received were based on being American rather than Aussie or European.

Edited by newlondon

Sorry flossie to disagree and I don't want to start a tipping war; but, most guides are paid, even in Europe on the assumption that they will be tipped. DW and I travel extensively in Europe both cruising and independent travel. I have talked to our TA, managers of travel agencies in Europe and of course the guides themselves. Tipping is expected, the amount, of course depends on the service and a number of factors including the cost of the tour. It is possible the answers I received were based on being American rather than Aussie or European.

nl, I don't think we have any disagreement; my original response to the OP included the advice "It is normal to tip the guide and driver if they have given good service"

However, for me, tips are solely about the service provided; not based on the employment practices of the tour operator or the expectation of the guide or driver

I cannot believe that any of us Europeans would take advantage of a generous American ;) :D

flossie, Slight disagreement, unless really poor service one should feel obligated to at least give a minimal tip. I would never say what reasonable is, but it frosts me to finish a terrific tour and see people walk away doing nothing for the guide. In my typical ugly American style I once even commented on it --to an American who did nothing.

flossie, Slight disagreement, unless really poor service one should feel obligated to at least give a minimal tip. I would never say what reasonable is, but it frosts me to finish a terrific tour and see people walk away doing nothing for the guide. In my typical ugly American style I once even commented on it --to an American who did nothing.

Agree 100%. Most people (even "ugly American's") want to be respectful of cultures - no matter where in the world we are. In my country, I do the tipping as my British DH would tip far less that the recommended amount. He respects Regent's tipping policy, however, he agrees that tour guides deserve a tip (unless they provided a really poor tour which has occurred only 1 or 2 times over the years).

It is upsetting to us to see so many Regent passengers walk away from a great tour without acknowledging the effort put forth by the tour guide and driver.

Edited by Travelcat2