ms Amsterdam (Alaska cruise) questions

sat24

Hi

We have an upcoming Alaskan cruise on the ms Amsterdam (Jun 26th sailing from Seattle). This is our 2nd cruise (we took a Disney Caribbean cruise in 2014 - it was mind blowing!) and very excited for this cruise - our in-laws are joining us.

Unfortunately I am finding the HAL site very lacking on specific details :( and so I have a few questions for fellow travelers:

1) which Pier does the ship leave from in Seattle?

2) Is there wifi on the ship? Complementary or paid? (how much if paid)

3) Dress code - do we need to carry suit+tie for all of us? How many of these "gala" nights are there in total? If we dont care to join, can we go to a different restaurant for dinner that day? (I read 'Lido' is an option for that, correct?)

4) My son has nut allergy - do I tell my server, or call HAL and let them know in advance? I guess I could do both to be safer...

Thanks much! Excited.

The Carnival family of cruise lines (HAL included) uses Pier 91. I saw Wi-Fi hot spot signs on the ship but don't know how much it costs to access. I wouldn't bother with suit and tie for everyone if it's going to be a hardship for you to pack. Lots of men in the DR on gala night with pants, shirt, and tie. We had 2 gala nights. You can eat dinner in the Lido, but why would you want to? Don't know how to deal with food allergies on a cruise ship.

Have you downloaded your cruise documents? Some of the info you're looking for is in there.

Roz

1. Pier 91

2. Yes, there is wifi, but it isn't free. There are a couple of plan options. Discussed here frequently.

3. Gala nights and dress codes are discussed here daily. Technically a tie is not longer required. Yes, Lido is a no dress code option.

4. I would tell both.

We are 3 star Mariners on HAL and our last cruise was a 16 day TA

on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

If this is your first HAL cruise, DO NOT be shocked by the WiFi prices once onboard.............these are the same prices we find on Carnival, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and they are EXPENSIVE for the slow speed on most cruise lines, including HAL. You can choose a plan for a fixed number of minutes or pay around 75 cents/minute....................and expect a lot of minutes just to connect when you are using the terminals during the day when others are on...........remember this happens on ALL lines and not just HAL.

I usually just wait to get to a port and find someplace where the costs are much less. Otherwise ask or follow crew members since THEY know where there are free hotspots........but again those will likely be slow since a few dozen other people (or more) will all be online at the same time.

This is a CC link from last year but it will give you an idea of plans and costs:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6515

Hi

We have an upcoming Alaskan cruise on the ms Amsterdam (Jun 26th sailing from Seattle). This is our 2nd cruise (we took a Disney Caribbean cruise in 2014 - it was mind blowing!) and very excited for this cruise - our in-laws are joining us.

Unfortunately I am finding the HAL site very lacking on specific details :( and so I have a few questions for fellow travelers:

1) which Pier does the ship leave from in Seattle?

2) Is there wifi on the ship? Complementary or paid? (how much if paid)

3) Dress code - do we need to carry suit+tie for all of us? How many of these "gala" nights are there in total? If we dont care to join, can we go to a different restaurant for dinner that day? (I read 'Lido' is an option for that, correct?)

4) My son has nut allergy - do I tell my server, or call HAL and let them know in advance? I guess I could do both to be safer...

Thanks much! Excited.

Immediately call HAL or your travel agent to tell them about your son's allergy. The first night on board talk to your DR servers about it also. HAL is wonderful with food allergies, but they do need fair warning...

Wow, 4 detailed responses already. You guys (and gals of course) rock!

Thanks - will call HAL about the allergy (tree nuts, btw).

I have T-Mobile 4G so I am hoping getting to shore will be enough. In fact, I do NOT prefer wifi onboard so I can truly "unplug" and relax :). The higher the wifi cost, the better ;)

Will need to find some affordable parking for our SUV closer to Pier 91 with shuttle service to the cruise terminal (we are Seattle natives). Will do some shopping now.

Dress Code: Collared shirt, slacks for men, women can get away with pretty much anything that looks "nice" I usually wear a black skirt, shiny or colorful shell and a wrap or burn-out skirt jacket, gold or silver sandals on gala nights; DH wears either a jacket or black cardigan depending on our luggage space and if we need a warm layer in which case he'll wear the sweater over a dress shirt and tie or bolo tie, black slacks, black shoes but those may even be his black walking shoes instead of extra pair of dress shoes (size 14 takes up a lot space in the suitcase - I used to put my sandals inside his dress shoes!).

Internet - We purchase a package and usually try to use off-peak times. We have given up searching for WiFi in ports because it's nearly always overloaded, but while the ship is in port the ship WiFi is usually under-utilized.

Nut allergy - We had a granddaughter allergic to so many foods it was easier to say what she could eat. Seriously. We sought out the Lido Chef - he is on duty whenever the Lido is open. He walked around the Lido with us and pointed out what we needed to know and said to ask for him anytime we had a Lido question - he became our best buddy on board.

Also the dining room waiters were a big help, even in Open Dining, because her cabin number was flagged. They even brought out some questionable items so we could check the ingredients ourselves! The cooks didn't make special foods for us but it was up to us to determine what worked. We would get the menu for tomorrow night at tonight's dinner and review it, circle what she wanted, make notes such as No stuffing, No gravy, No sauce... No nuts! They did very well with our complex issues. Do file you special request through ship services, our TA helped us do that. Also be prepared for a possible reaction with whatever meds, epi-pen or what could be needed. If he needs special meds filing through ship services should flag Medical Services to be prepared.

Carry some warning (med bracelet for example) or information about his needs/meds; good to have him carry something about it in case he has a reaction while with the kids counselors that could be given directly to the med staff in case they are called. Just in case.

Go have a grand time! m--

Edited by RMLincoln