Scathing Reiews of Star Breeze

twoboys

I'm fairly picky and never had a laundry problem on any Windstar ship other than some of my husbands easy care trousers being ironed too hot and getting a shine. Next cruise I was specific in written instructions and they were fine. When I did laundry on the QM2 it was pretty awful. Dirty machines and people fighting over them. Never again. Food is so subjective. Again, we've always had good food onboard. Not 5 star but very nice and lots of choices and usually some Indonesian or Indian offerings. It would be nice to have pool food service. Not sure where they could fit in another dining option as the motor yachts are not large ships. Have a great sail!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We have used the laundry package on 7 cruises and have loved the convenience and great quality of service. Only once was there a problem, and my husband's shirt was torn during the laundry service. They reimbursed us for the cost of a replacement with no hesitation.

Besides the itinerary, we were also drawn to the fact that Windstar is more casual. We have friends who did not care for that and friends who rave. For us it means we do not have bring anything fancy or fussy. So 80% of my wardrobe is from Old Navy and The Loft. So if something. And if something does happen in the laundry, its not the end of the world. Mostly T-shirt dresses, shorts, capris, Ts and tanks, cotton cardigans, Keens, Birkenstocks, Berni Mevs, work out clothes, etc. I do so much laundry at home that having someone else do it will be "luxurious" :) I agree food is subjective, and included. So if I dont like what I get, I will order something else...

We sailed on the Star Breeze from Rome to Barcelona in August.

The food, however, was quite mediocre. We aren't big three square meals a day types, usually we had breakfast in our cabin and lunch off the menu, so my comments apply mainly to the dining room. The portion sizes were tiny and for the most part overcooked. The side veggies were repetitive and lacked imagination. The lamb lollipops!! lol, what can you say?

How does this fit together with the "impartial" Smarter Travel-statement?;)

“Windstar isn’t so much about the buffet. Instead, it’s about cooked-to-order cuisine that resonates with the destination du jour. Chefs are charged with creating daily specials that incorporate regional flavors, and invite guests to join them as they shop the in-port markets for the day’s fresh ingredients.”

The worst thing for me at dinner is an overcooked fish ... :(

We also sailed the Star Breeze because of the itinerary. Interesting how many people do the same. Obviously, they've got a great niche there.

Basically, we enjoyed our cruise and we did two 8-day back to back. By the second leg, we were being treated like royalty. :)

I did the market tour in Malaga and were amazed at how the chef put things together for dinner.

The biggest problem we had with the food was the location. The weather was unusually cool and rainy and there was no way everyone was going to fit into the inside of the small veranda area. They finally made the decision to set up the buffets and cooking areas in the main dining room.

I can't understand complaints about small portions. If you are still hungry, order more. Or if you know the portions aren't going to fill you after a couple days, order extra when you first place the order.

I can't understand complaints about small portions. If you are still hungry, order more. Or if you know the portions aren't going to fill you after a couple days, order extra when you first place the order.

I also don't understand that. At dinner they'll bring you 12 entrees if you want, and as a big eater the full option of appetizer, soup/salad, entree and dessert more than fill me up.

At breakfast and lunch you can eat off the buffet until you barf, or order as many items off the menu as you like. I have noticed that the omelets are on the petite side, but just order two if you want.

And if you're still hungry go down to the cabin and order room service!

Edited by milepig

Wow the Windstar loyalties run strong! I posted a review that I believed was an accurate representation of our experience on our recent Windstar cruise and instead I get scolded because I described the food as mediocre and over-cooked, and advised that I should order more or go to the cabin and get room service, instead of expecting that a main course would be a main course. I have no idea what the comment about "impartial smarter travel-comment" means but I take note of the comment. I was naive to believe that what I did post might be of some help to others. Next time I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

Wow the Windstar loyalties run strong! I posted a review that I believed was an accurate representation of our experience on our recent Windstar cruise and instead I get scolded because I described the food as mediocre and over-cooked, and advised that I should order more or go to the cabin and get room service, instead of expecting that a main course would be a main course. I have no idea what the comment about "impartial smarter travel-comment" means but I take note of the comment. I was naive to believe that what I did post might be of some help to others. Next time I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

@jilliboo: Uups - sorry - I didn't want to terrify you with my comment; perhaps it is because I'm German and have only basic English language skills, so I couldn't express correctly what I meant.

As a first timer with Windstar (no loyalty;)) I'm very interested in experiences of other cruisers and was a bit "shocked" that you described the food quality as medicore and over-cooked. My expectations in food at Windstar are on a high level and were strenghened by the comments of the Smarter Travel Magazine about it.

I put a smiley at the end of the sentence, because I wanted to express, that sometimes comments of magazines are not "impartial/objective".

For my wife and me the quantity of food is second rate - the quality is the point that counts for us.

In less than two weeks we will gain experiences onboard Breeze - I'm looking forward to it, hoping that the food quality will be fine for us. :)

Sorry you got battered over your comments. Please, do not hesitate to comment both positive AND negative. Everyone has different tastes, not to mention that perhaps the chef has changed between a past cruiser's experience and yours.

I am glad I read the negative comments about the Star Breeze. I actually almost cancelled our cruise. But we went because of the itinerary and I'm glad we did. And also glad that I was prepared for some of the glitches that happened to us.

http://www.travelsnippetsandmore.com/2016/06/home-from-windstar-star-breeze-and.html

Unfortunately the old adage is true - opinions are like assh__les - everyone has one. Please do not let a few people detract you from posting your comments. Even if people disagree with an opinion, the information from both sides of an argument can be useful to someone trying to gain information.

Once again, as on other threads about food, quality, quantity, etc. , is quite subjective. I don't feel that I'm "defending" Windstar or being "loyal" when I say in 8 or so sailings that we've been more than satisfied all the way around. Much more so than on any other cruise line, both more and less expensive. Maybe we're just easily pleased and so grateful to be on board a beautiful ship on gorgeous water seeing new places and meeting some fabulous and interesting people that we just enjoy whatever comes our way. Our time onboard and experiences have been precious to us and we hope that we'll continue to be able to make these journeys well into old (er) age!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ditto sb44. Food, matresses hard vs soft, alcohol, etc., are all subjective. I admit I am a great fan of WS, has every cruise (19 ) been perfect probably not, is my life perfect no, is anything perfect no. Can I remember what is perfect and what is not, no. I, too, am so grateful that we can do these sailings. We love the water and sea having been on them all our lives but with a small ship, sails, the sea, weather, wind, port authorities ruling, there is no way perfection is a guarantee. I am more interested in people trying their best and I think you get that with WS in the service, the beauty of the ships, the pride in the food service ( my subjectiveness ). Etc. I also think since WS cleaned up upper management we are getting a far better responsiveness from from the central office. Criticism is healthy and one can learn from it I just think people ought to be more aware when subjectiveness is involded. I have weight issues so small portions are great and there is the issue of food waste. For me life is simply good, so I appreciate WS, it simply fits us as I am sure other ships fit others more. As for laundry " love it ". The very last thing on a vacation I want to do is go to a laundromat, the very fact my undies come back pressed is simply perfect! Happy Sailing

The very last thing on a vacation I want to do is go to a laundromat, the very fact my undies come back pressed is simply perfect! Happy Sailing

And for me, the thought of someone else handling my 'delicate items' gives me the creeps. I'd rather wash then myself in the sink. :D

Different strokes for different folks!

And for me, the thought of someone else handling my 'delicate items' gives me the creeps. I'd rather wash then myself in the sink. :D

Different strokes for different folks!

I bring one of those mesh laundry bags and put undies, socks, anything small and easily lost or that I don't want anyone "touching" in there. I put a note on the laundry slip not to fold anything in the bag, just wash, dry, and return.

I bring one of those mesh laundry bags and put undies, socks, anything small and easily lost or that I don't want anyone "touching" in there. I put a note on the laundry slip not to fold anything in the bag, just wash, dry, and return.

Interesting idea. Have to think on that one.