Explorer OTS Review - June 3, 2016 - Great cruise

A bucket list cruise. We’re 57 & 55, on our 5th RCCL cruise.

We have traveled the interior of Alaska (Fairbanks, Anchorage, Seward) but always wanted to see the coast. Alaska and RCCL did not disappoint.

Seattle / Boarding

We flew in the day before and stayed on the Marriott Waterfront. Used Speedi Shuttle for transfers to hotel and return to airport. Thursday we had lunch (our dinner) in the Space Needle. It’s free to ride up if you’re eating. Food was very good, very expensive but about price of ticket up. Restaurant rotates so you see it all in one hour time. You also can go to the observation deck. Friday morning we walked to CJ’s eatery for breakfast. Great! Then walked to Pike Place Market. Got some Starbucks to say we were there. After checkout we uber’d to the pier. First experience with Uber and it was great. Driver must have been sitting behind hotel, was there in less than 5 minutes.

Port dropoff was organized to maintain traffic flow. Driver dropped us off around noon. We went through security, check in and were on the boat in 31 minutes (I timed it). We weren’t hungry after the big breakfast so we bought drink package and specialty dining three night package. Rooms opened around 1:00 and after dropping off bags we went to Windjammer. Sail away was fun, Rainer was bright and beautiful, Chamber of Commerce day in Seattle.

Dining

We had MTD with early reservations each night (5:30 or 5:45). Every time in the dining room we sat in Virgil and Julio Caesar area. They were great and remembered us each night. My horseradish salmon the first night was just okay. I’d like more flavor from the horseradish. Wife’s beef was great. All other nights in dining room were very good. Enjoyed the lobster on the fisherman’s platter!

We ate in Chop’s twice and loved it both times. I had the larger filet once and the large NY strip the other. Shrimp cocktail, scallops and goat cheese salad were very good. Mud pie dessert is amazing!

Giovanni’s the other night was okay. I had the shrimp, three large shrimp but not WOW! Wife’s steak was good.

Room

We were interior 7669 which was our first interior. In Alaska we loved it – no windows for 4:00 a.m. sunrise! Room was fine for the two of us. Everything worked and our steward Fnu was excellent.

On Ship

While cruising we spent a lot of time in Viking Lounge on deck 14. Great place to observe as you’re sailing in the channels. We went to all the big shows each night and enjoyed them all. Both comedians talked a lot about the ship toilets too much for me but it gets laughs. The shows were not anywhere near full. Quality was about what you expect for ship and crowd that size.

Meet N Mingle was good, Captain and Hotel Director spoke. Explained why no Luggage Valet in Seattle anymore. Had some nice give aways that we didn’t get :mad:

Ports

In Juneau we signed up in port for a whale tour. No idea what we were getting into. The crowd of salespeople all saying and selling the same thing! We ended up with Whale Tours. Small boat of 12 people. Boat was three years old and in great condition. We went out to the area where whales had been spotted and immediately started seeing spouts from a mother/child pair. After sitting for a while they started popping up all around us. Great some great pictures of whale tail! This was expensive to us but well worth it!

Skagway

Booked online White Pass bus with Frontier Excursion. JJ was our driver. After Skagway tour went up mountain to Canada and pass. Beautiful drive with up close encounter with bear on the way back. For the low price this was great. I found a coupon on line.

Dawes Glacier

Captain Rick did an excellent job of driving the ship up Endicott Arm to Dawes Glacier. The Tracy Arm was heavy with ice and we could not have got close. Ship’s crew had hot coffee out on bow with photographer too. Captain did a complete 360 turn so everyone could see then another 180 to get us out. Amazing what the ship the size of the Explorer can do with an experience Captain!

Victoria

Found a groupon before we left for the hop on/off Big Bus. We picked up the bus right outside the port and rode around to their stand downtown where we hopped off and got our ticket. Took the capital tour while there and walked around downtown. Got back on the big bus and finished the tour back around to port. They have a recorded narration that tells you what you’re passing with some humorous comments thrown in.

Disembark

We had speedi shuttle booked to return to airport. We did self walk off, leaving around 7:30. It was a breeze, never stopped walking, just gave immigration card to person and kept on walking.

Found Speedi Shuttle pickup location after some difficulty (no signs) had to ask three people. Called company and told them we were ready, they gave me drivers name and bus number. Another bus came in first but they have tablets with who is supposed to be on that particular bus. Left some folks frustrated that were there first but group size and phone call were key. Only two of us v/s eight in earlier group got us on the 2nd bus to pull in. Quick drive to airport during rush hour. Being from Atlanta we expected 1 to 1.5 hours at rush hour. We were at gate by 9:00 for our 12:00 return to ATL. TSA Precheck helped! Their long line was about the same as the precheck line in ATL!

Final Thoughts –

Great cruise / trip. Everything worked perfectly. Air, ground, hotel, ship – all great. Graham Seymour is funny, talented and experienced. Captain, Graham, Hotel Director and Food Director out and about often. Ship is in good condition. Low number of people on deck gave crew time to do some work on pool deck. Never a fight for a lounger next to pool!

Thanks for the review. I have been waiting and hoping that more information about the luggage valet would be posted and you have answered my question. I still have to figure out what to do with my luggage before my 11pm flight.

I wanted to ask you about your experience with the HOHO Bus in Victoria. You wrote that "you picked up the bus right outside the port and rode around to their stand downtown where we hopped off and got our ticket". I wasn't aware that this was allowed before getting the ticket. I have also purchased the Groupon deal and wanted to know if there is anything I should say to the driver. Should I just show the Groupon receipt so that he can allow me to board the bus. Also, how far was the walk from the port to where you took the bus.

Thanks in advance.

I wanted to ask you about your experience with the HOHO Bus in Victoria. You wrote that "you picked up the bus right outside the port and rode around to their stand downtown where we hopped off and got our ticket". I wasn't aware that this was allowed before getting the ticket. I have also purchased the Groupon deal and wanted to know if there is anything I should say to the driver. Should I just show the Groupon receipt so that he can allow me to board the bus. Also, how far was the walk from the port to where you took the bus.

Thanks in advance.

We walked to the fisherman wharf stop which was about 1/2 -3/4 mile away

We just showed the groupon and he was fine with that.

When we got off he dropped us at the port. It seemed like we could have waited outside the port and flagged him down. They run every 30 minutes.

A bucket list cruise. We’re 57 & 55, on our 5th RCCL cruise.

We have traveled the interior of Alaska (Fairbanks, Anchorage, Seward) but always wanted to see the coast. Alaska and RCCL did not disappoint.

Seattle / Boarding

We flew in the day before and stayed on the Marriott Waterfront. Used Speedi Shuttle for transfers to hotel and return to airport. Thursday we had lunch (our dinner) in the Space Needle. It’s free to ride up if you’re eating. Food was very good, very expensive but about price of ticket up. Restaurant rotates so you see it all in one hour time. You also can go to the observation deck. Friday morning we walked to CJ’s eatery for breakfast. Great! Then walked to Pike Place Market. Got some Starbucks to say we were there. After checkout we uber’d to the pier. First experience with Uber and it was great. Driver must have been sitting behind hotel, was there in less than 5 minutes.

Port dropoff was organized to maintain traffic flow. Driver dropped us off around noon. We went through security, check in and were on the boat in 31 minutes (I timed it). We weren’t hungry after the big breakfast so we bought drink package and specialty dining three night package. Rooms opened around 1:00 and after dropping off bags we went to Windjammer. Sail away was fun, Rainer was bright and beautiful, Chamber of Commerce day in Seattle.

Dining

We had MTD with early reservations each night (5:30 or 5:45). Every time in the dining room we sat in Virgil and Julio Caesar area. They were great and remembered us each night. My horseradish salmon the first night was just okay. I’d like more flavor from the horseradish. Wife’s beef was great. All other nights in dining room were very good. Enjoyed the lobster on the fisherman’s platter!

We ate in Chop’s twice and loved it both times. I had the larger filet once and the large NY strip the other. Shrimp cocktail, scallops and goat cheese salad were very good. Mud pie dessert is amazing!

Giovanni’s the other night was okay. I had the shrimp, three large shrimp but not WOW! Wife’s steak was good.

Room

We were interior 7669 which was our first interior. In Alaska we loved it – no windows for 4:00 a.m. sunrise! Room was fine for the two of us. Everything worked and our steward Fnu was excellent.

On Ship

While cruising we spent a lot of time in Viking Lounge on deck 14. Great place to observe as you’re sailing in the channels. We went to all the big shows each night and enjoyed them all. Both comedians talked a lot about the ship toilets too much for me but it gets laughs. The shows were not anywhere near full. Quality was about what you expect for ship and crowd that size.

Meet N Mingle was good, Captain and Hotel Director spoke. Explained why no Luggage Valet in Seattle anymore. Had some nice give aways that we didn’t get :mad:

Ports

In Juneau we signed up in port for a whale tour. No idea what we were getting into. The crowd of salespeople all saying and selling the same thing! We ended up with Whale Tours. Small boat of 12 people. Boat was three years old and in great condition. We went out to the area where whales had been spotted and immediately started seeing spouts from a mother/child pair. After sitting for a while they started popping up all around us. Great some great pictures of whale tail! This was expensive to us but well worth it!

Skagway

Booked online White Pass bus with Frontier Excursion. JJ was our driver. After Skagway tour went up mountain to Canada and pass. Beautiful drive with up close encounter with bear on the way back. For the low price this was great. I found a coupon on line.

Dawes Glacier

Captain Rick did an excellent job of driving the ship up Endicott Arm to Dawes Glacier. The Tracy Arm was heavy with ice and we could not have got close. Ship’s crew had hot coffee out on bow with photographer too. Captain did a complete 360 turn so everyone could see then another 180 to get us out. Amazing what the ship the size of the Explorer can do with an experience Captain!

Victoria

Found a groupon before we left for the hop on/off Big Bus. We picked up the bus right outside the port and rode around to their stand downtown where we hopped off and got our ticket. Took the capital tour while there and walked around downtown. Got back on the big bus and finished the tour back around to port. They have a recorded narration that tells you what you’re passing with some humorous comments thrown in.

Disembark

We had speedi shuttle booked to return to airport. We did self walk off, leaving around 7:30. It was a breeze, never stopped walking, just gave immigration card to person and kept on walking.

Found Speedi Shuttle pickup location after some difficulty (no signs) had to ask three people. Called company and told them we were ready, they gave me drivers name and bus number. Another bus came in first but they have tablets with who is supposed to be on that particular bus. Left some folks frustrated that were there first but group size and phone call were key. Only two of us v/s eight in earlier group got us on the 2nd bus to pull in. Quick drive to airport during rush hour. Being from Atlanta we expected 1 to 1.5 hours at rush hour. We were at gate by 9:00 for our 12:00 return to ATL. TSA Precheck helped! Their long line was about the same as the precheck line in ATL!

Final Thoughts –

Great cruise / trip. Everything worked perfectly. Air, ground, hotel, ship – all great. Graham Seymour is funny, talented and experienced. Captain, Graham, Hotel Director and Food Director out and about often. Ship is in good condition. Low number of people on deck gave crew time to do some work on pool deck. Never a fight for a lounger next to pool!

I enjoyed your review. Can you tell us why the Captain said there is no valet service for the Explorer? Is it something they will offer in the future?

Thanks in advance.

We walked to the fisherman wharf stop which was about 1/2 -3/4 mile away

We just showed the groupon and he was fine with that.

When we got off he dropped us at the port. It seemed like we could have waited outside the port and flagged him down. They run every 30 minutes.

I will definitively give that a try. Thanks again.

I was also on this cruise and it was our first. Actually our first vacation in 25 years. We were originally in accessible room 1301 on deck 10. It had one of those virtual balcony's that was actually pretty nice. Unfortunately we could not sleep and it kept our disabled daughter up at night. They moved us to 7600 a balcony accessible room and wow what a view. Definitely worth it for the glacier.

The Good.

WOW the comedian for the adult show on night 2 (maybe 3) was one of the best shows I have seen in years. I forget his name but during the show there was on of the worst hecklers ever and she was booted. On her way out right next to us she slap a man in the face and he defended himself. She deserved it. The show continued and was great.

The rest of the shows were pretty good. I think the music could be a little newer. The rock show with the cruise director was really good too.

Eating breakfast and lunch in the main dinning was way better than the Windjammer.

Stateroom attendants were great

CONS

Why are people so rude! Is it a culture thing? Having a disabled daughter in a wheelchair made us take the elevator and people had no problem cutting in front to get on the elevator. People would be standing there waiting and others rush from the back to cut.

And the kids running around with no supervision pushing all the buttons in the elevators. We questioned 1 of them and he said he was bored.

The Windjammer! We only went there when our daughter was hungry since she could not eat what was in the main dining for lunch and dinner. I do not understand why people have to grab things with their hands and use marked utensils to grab other items. I could go on but most has already been said.

They should make it more clear that the bars can refill the soda cups since the machines were mostly broken. I would have not been happy if I had not read that on here already.

We did have a good time and it was a learning experience. Alaskan ports were good. Could have used more time In Victoria. And we did book another cruise. The Next Cruise agent was great. I told her my concerns with our daughter and what we had already experienced and she recommend a smaller ship for more personable service.

Glad you had a great cruise, And thanks for the review! We have the Explorer booked for Alaska next June, and am wondering how cool it will be? Also, we were told by the next cruise rep that the pools are heated, but have read here on CC, it is not...do you know? Thanks for any info :-)

Traci

Glad you had a great cruise, And thanks for the review! We have the Explorer booked for Alaska next June, and am wondering how cool it will be? Also, we were told by the next cruise rep that the pools are heated, but have read here on CC, it is not...do you know? Thanks for any info :-)

Traci

Definitely pack a jacket. They were selling jackets in the store on the promenade the day before we pulled in at a discount. On the morning we were pulling in they setup shop on the pool deck where the wind was blowing and the prices were higher lol. Specially if at the beginning of June. I an not answer the heated pool question as I did not go in. There were a lot of people that did. If you are not a smoker stay away from the starboard side main pool area as that is the smoking section. The adult area is pretty smoke free on the port side.

Traci

It was colder than I expected. I'd recommend layers, windbreaker with hood, warm jacket, stocking cap or ear muffs, gloves. Now we're from GA so 50 is cool to us and 40 is cold. Skagway was very windy as was the ship while traveling. Inside the ship I wore shorts and t-shirts during the day.

I enjoyed your review. Can you tell us why the Captain said there is no valet service for the Explorer? Is it something they will offer in the future?

The Hotel director said it was a "corporate decision". Sounded like it didn't make money so they killed it. We would have used it for sure!

I had the soda package and found it good. There are six freestyle machines (That I could find) on the ship. Two next to Cafe Prom and 4 in the windjammer. One of the two at the Cafe was out for a day.

They were often out of coke zero but always had diet coke when they were.

On a port heavy trip I would not do the soda package. When you're stuck inside it was great.

Fortunately this was Alaska cruise so the number of kids was lower than the Caribbean ones we've been on. I go in thinking there are three things you do on cruises - eat, sleep and wait on elevators. :)

What a wonderful review! This is what we are looking forward to when we go next September! This will be our second cruise to Alaska, but this time we are taking our tween aged kids. We cant wait to introduce them to cruising!

Thanks for the review, we are doing this cruise in August! Can you tell me if the Flow Rider was available most days? Heard that they will close it if it's too cold.

I didn't go by it often and when I did it was closed.

I did see it listed open in the compass several times.