Question regarding St. Petersburg

vmarq

We are lucky enough to have 3 days in St. Petersburg. Some of the tour groups now offer 2 days in SPB and 1 in Moscow. For those of you who have been to SPB, would you recommend doing all 3 days in SPB or spending one day in Moscow? I know there is significant travel time going to Moscow so not sure if it is worth it or not. One of the tours I am looking at goes to Moscow on Wednesday so we would be able to go in the Kremlin.

Thank you for any input.

We are lucky enough to have 3 days in St. Petersburg. Some of the tour groups now offer 2 days in SPB and 1 in Moscow. For those of you who have been to SPB, would you recommend doing all 3 days in SPB or spending one day in Moscow? I know there is significant travel time going to Moscow so not sure if it is worth it or not. One of the tours I am looking at goes to Moscow on Wednesday so we would be able to go in the Kremlin.

Thank you for any input.

Having visited both St. Petersburg and Moscow several times, I would vote for spending all 3 days in St. Petersburg - visiting Moscow on a 3 day port stop in St. Petersburg would certainly not be my choice. There is so much to see in St. Petersburg that even 3 days is not enough. :)

The trip to Moscow for only one day is very tiring - you leave very early in the morning and return to St. Pete very late at night (at about midnight). With the significant travel time involved, you really do not have the opportunity to fully enjoy Moscow - it is much too rushed and hectic IMHO (the Kremlin alone deserves a full day). Furthermore, you have another full day of touring St. Petersburg the day after Moscow.

Thank you for any input.

I've been to Russia twice. The first trip began with 4 days of independent travel in Moscow, followed by a river cruise that ended with three days spend in St. Petersburg. The second visit was a two-day port call in St. Petersburg. That means I've spent a total of 5 days touring St. Petersburg.

I would never book a tour that spent 2 days in St. Petersburg and 1 day in Moscow. St Petersburg alone has too much to offer to squander it in substantial travel time to Moscow. And Moscow has too much to offer to squeeze its amazing sights into a fraction of one day.

I would disagree and say, go for it, IF, you think this will be your only time in this area of the world. If you have always wanted to see Moscow, and the Kremlin, and this may be your one and only time there, DO IT.

I hear the same for Berlin, "it's a long day", "so much travel for not that much time in Berlin" etc. etc. but everyone who I have ever talked to, that made that trip, was not sorry they did.

When we toured the Baltics, we left from Dover which gave us a week in London pre and post cruise. We used one of those days to take the Eurostar to Paris for the day. Sure it was a long, exhausting day, but we do not regret doing it one bit.

I have always told people, if you DON'T do it, will you come home and be sorry you didn't. If that thought even enters your mind, then go for it. You only live life once, use it wisely.

Cheers

Len

I say, yes, go to Moscow. If you're like us, this is most likely our only trip to Russia as we have so many other places on our list and so little time and money to do them all. So it's a now or never situation for us.

That said, if your day to visit Moscow is a Thursday, know that the Kremlin is closed and that, to me, is the highlight. It is indeed a long way to go- you will be up very early and up very late and still have to be up again the next day for your next tour day back in St. Petersburg, so make sure it's worthwhile to you. I'd only do it if I could get into the Kremlin that day.

If you haven't booked your flights yet, consider flying to Moscow pre-cruise. Yes you will have to get visas but that gives you more flexibility in St Petersburg as well. We leave Wednesday for Moscow before our cruise :)

pjs678 I am thinking about going to Moscow pre cruise before my Baltic cruise next year. Hoping you'll post about your experience when you get back! How many days are you spending there?

Edited by B-Star14

pjs678 I am thinking about going to Moscow pre cruise before my Baltic cruise next year. Hoping you'll post about your experience when you get back! How many days are you spending there?

Unfortunately, only 3 nights/2 days as we couldn't take any more time off work given the 12 night cruise as well :)

I'll be posting a full review when we get back.