Live review with pics, HAL Nieuw Amsterdam 6/11 Vancouver

cl.klink

I've enjoyed reading many live reviews and the sense of being on the trip, feelings like I'm there too, so I am going to try to do the same. Because of a very hectic start (see below) I'm starting today (6/12) and I'll catch up.

31c1fc1aedecf3cbf7b53f91315dd614.jpg

PRE-CRUISE PLANNING

DW and I live in Columbia Missouri USA and I did Alaska last year and sailed HAL Oosterdam. I grew up in Oregon and it reminded me some of home, and knew we wants to come back. Probably many times. My cousin and her husband from San Francisco California had never cruised before and said they'd like to and wanted to see Alaska. So, we're going together with neighboring cabins. The timing of this week allowed me to squeeze in between some work and family commitments. We chose this cruise out of Vancouver since the dates and embarkation worked out best, therefore. Also, my cousin and her husband were afraid of sea sickness based on brief encounters with boats at home and wanted to avoid tender ports.

I am a one bag traveler, so no checked bags, ever. One carry on is all I need, ever, to travel anywhere, for any time (see my post 116 at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44603616#post44603616).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PRE-CRUISE

Kansas City, Friday 6/10, 1 day before cruise

We had a 6:00 am United flight to Denver, where we would change planes for Vancouver BC Canada. I only slept 2 hours the night before, finishing off all that I needed to get done from work. Breezed through security with my newly minted PSA pre-check certification, which I'm very glad I finally did. Arrived in Denver on time. Got to next gate. When It came time to board for Vancouver, I could not locate my passport. I must have it to board plane to Vancouver. I asked, but my passport card won't do. I was carrying my and DW's passport with me in a Scottevest travel vest, secured in a zippered pouch. But only her passport was there. We had used both to get on plane in Kansas City., so we did have them. We think mine was lost when we went to the gate agent to ask a question, handed him both boarding passes and both passports, but he must have given us just one passport back. But, he says no. In any event, no passport for me. Cannot go to Vancouver.

Trip is over. So disappointed. This CAN'T be happening. I called the US passport office. They said may be a chance to replace it same day. I have to get myself to a passport office. I will need to arrive with a form filled out, new passport photos, proof of ID, proof of birth/citizenship. It is now 8:00 am. Aurora, Colorado, a Denver suburb, has such an office. The US Passport office arranged for me to get an "appointment" there, but I must be at the office by 9:30 am (last available time today). I got an appointment and confirmation number. Ran to exit airport and get a cab while DW stayed behind, worked with airline. No checked bags to worry about (one bag traveler!). In cab, talked with travel agent and surfed internet on iPhone. Cabbie knew the passport office. There's a FedEx a few minutes away. I called them. They'll do passport photos in minutes. Got there. Cabbie waited, motor running. Went in, got photos, went on line, printed form DS11, printed copy of old passport from travel agent's email (I forgot to make a copy before left home - I usually do have that, though). Got back in waiting cab. Cabbie got me to building for passport office, gave him a generous tip. Into building. Wrong building. Walked a few blocks. Right building. Found passport office. A security line and X-ray, a line to check in, a line tell my story, more forms, then a piece of paper with my number to be called for my "appointment." All the people I talked to were behind plexiglass windows, everyone very nice, actually, but rules to be followed. I was told there was "a chance" I may get a passport today, so I could make my cruise tomorrow, 6/11. The room is filled with people in various stages of crises or needs. It's now 9:40 am. The office would be closed today at 2:00 pm. Not open again till 6/13, two days after cruise.

My number is called. Another plexiglass window. This is my "appointment." Very nice lady. Lots of questions. She asked "when are you traveling?" I laughed and said 3 hours ago! But now we had a rebooked flight for 7:12 pm. Had to give flight #, confirmation code, etc. My passport card was ok as proof of citizenship. Paid a fee. Showed my drivers license, boarding pass, gave my copy of passport, info on my parents and wedding date and other things. She says they would go over all this for a few hours to see if my photos and such match up and if what I've said is "factual and true." If they judge so, I'll have a new passport between 11:30-12:30, so come back then. I got a slip of paper to present at that time.

If there is no passport today, I can't fly to Vancouver for cruise tomorrow. My TA said our insurance likely would cover cruise but unsure. I kinda don't care, emotionally, because I'm already functioning with the money gone -- I wanna go on the cruise! And, my cousin and her husband are flying to Vancouver. Right now.

To pass the time, I went across street where there was a local hotel, waited in lobby, used wifi, had a cool drink, called and updated everyone. Back to passport office at 11:30. Again security, again X-ray. Again a line. At plexiglass window, I slid the paper I was given. A minute later, the lady came back.

Here is your new passport.

Uber back to Denver international airport (never Uber-ed before; very cool). Back at DIA and rejoined DW 12:30 pm.

Landed in Vancouver 10 pm.

CRUISE DAY 1

Vancouver BC Canada. Embarkation. Saturday 6/11

Wonderful overnight at Pan Pacific hotel. DW and I met up with my cousin and her husband last night, we had nice drinks and light bite in hotel bar overlooking Coal Harbor. The hotel is physically connected to / on top of the cruise pier in downtown Vancouver. So amazingly convenient. Seemless transition. The hotel bell staff come to the room and get bags and next time you see them is in stateroom on the cruise ship. To get to ship, you take the hotel elevator to "G" and walk to a designated door (the hotel told us which one, for our cruise, but could have figured it out by following signage). Then it's just like any other embarkation. This facility is also part of the Convention Center here so feels very nice aesthetically since the space has to be user-friendly for both conventions and cruises.

But, first, we walked around downtown Vancouver in AM. Great city. Clean. Lots of restaurants. Great hotels. On the water. Lots of day trips and excursions you could book in your own by float plane, boat, or land. Easy drive to nice things if you have the time. A decent aquarium. We did not have a lot of time though. So, just walked around some, then had a very nice brunch in a cafe overlooking the pier and ship and downtown Vancouver.

Leisurely sauntered back over to embarkation area 1:30 pm. Went smoothly, sat and filled out health forms, then to check in area, then through US customs, then X-ray, then onto the ship by 2:30 or so. Honestly, if I have a chance to cruise Alaska or a Pacific itinerary again, I'd consider doing it a bit more just based on being able to sail out of Vancouver, stay at Pan Pacific hotel, and take advantage of this very relaxing and convenient way to get onto a ship.

I'd only been on one other HAL ship, the Oosterdam. The Nieuw Amsterdam is newer but layout is almost the same. But it looks more clean, refined, inviting. Staterooms seem nicer, warm colors, better lighting. Flat screen TV with many functions. Subtle changes, but I like them. We asked steward to open barrier between balconies between us and my cousin's room and it was done promptly. Plenty of storage with two large floor to ceiling closets with hangers and a third closet with shelves and a safe, a few shelved at desk where footstool opens to allow storage, two decent night stands with shelves as well. A small couch and table and small chair. As usual there is storage space under the bed for suitcases (not that we one bag travelers need that!) and a nice feature, two large shelves under bed.

After safety drill, we went to top of ship, aft pool deck, for sail away with a nice drink. Nothing like this moment. We are adrift, afloat, on our own, out on the water. Love this kind of travel and vacation so much. The view of the world from water and the feel of being out in water is just different, and takes you to a very different feeling than we otherwise have in everyday life. Great views of Vancouver. Really a beautiful city. Sailed under the Lions Gate bridge, under which the ship's tallest mast barely slips unscathed. Then off to art champagne reception (DW insisted ...), get to know the ship, then back to stateroom to go to dinner.

First night in MDR went well. Organized and pleasant wait staff. Room has a nice feel. Have a table of 8 but only one other couple showed tonight to join the 5 of us. Very nice people and we 6 had a very nice evening together. Good Caesar salad with anchovies. Wonderful bottle of Pinot noir. Excellent salmon. We decided to each the new Star Wars movie in the theater where comfy and huge theater seats and free popcorn were welcome. Off to bed after a wonderful day that, yesterday, I wasn't sure would've come at all.

Pan pacific hotel, preached atop convention center and pier below

917759ef25ad1a8c90a7361cb5dbdff9.jpg

View in front of hotel, looking into Coal Harbor

824b5f72190297592a8b5107ef1c17b9.jpg

View standing from hotel and pier looking toward city, other half of convention center

18f83c0e9d6446225b72f9b817b99ff0.jpg

Requisite photo to sell to us later

0868a1d5f493448021acf18f83c1bab2.jpg

Bags being loaded

b19a1ab712415f5dac595e7cc9cb2349.jpg

View of dining room as we approach the ship

90b2661fe0f0c953955f936c8361dc8f.jpg

About to traverse the inner sanctum!

379f55c067addcd127a11949c9dfa46e.jpg

Wow, I got stressed out just by reading about your passport ordeal.

You are a good sport!

Wishing you and your family a wonderful cruise!

Will be following your review, looking forward for more pics.

Wow! What a start to the trip! I can almost feel your dismay on discovering the passport was missing! So glad it turned out for you. May the rest of the trip be worry free and delightful.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hey great photos & review!! Can't wait to go now, will be on board next Saturday. Am choppin at the bit. The weather here in sunny Calif, has been overcast for the last couple of days. Suppose that's what one can expect in Alaska.:rolleyes:

PRE-CRUISE

Kansas City, Friday 6/10, 1 day before cruise

We had a 6:00 am United flight to Denver, where we would change planes for Vancouver BC Canada. I only slept 2 hours the night before, finishing off all that I needed to get done from work. Breezed through security with my newly minted PSA pre-check certification, which I'm very glad I finally did. Arrived in Denver on time. Got to next gate. When It came time to board for Vancouver, I could not locate my passport. I must have it to board plane to Vancouver. I asked, but my passport card won't do. I was carrying my and DW's passport with me in a Scottevest travel vest, secured in a zippered pouch. But only her passport was there. We had used both to get on plane in Kansas City., so we did have them. We think mine was lost when we went to the gate agent to ask a question, handed him both boarding passes and both passports, but he must have given us just one passport back. But, he says no. In any event, no passport for me. Cannot go to Vancouver.

Trip is over. So disappointed. This CAN'T be happening. I called the US passport office. They said may be a chance to replace it same day. I have to get myself to a passport office. I will need to arrive with a form filled out, new passport photos, proof of ID, proof of birth/citizenship. It is now 8:00 am. Aurora, Colorado, a Denver suburb, has such an office. The US Passport office arranged for me to get an "appointment" there, but I must be at the office by 9:30 am (last available time today). I got an appointment and confirmation number. Ran to exit airport and get a cab while DW stayed behind, worked with airline. No checked bags to worry about (one bag traveler!). In cab, talked with travel agent and surfed internet on iPhone. Cabbie knew the passport office. There's a FedEx a few minutes away. I called them. They'll do passport photos in minutes. Got there. Cabbie waited, motor running. Went in, got photos, went on line, printed form DS11, printed copy of old passport from travel agent's email (I forgot to make a copy before left home - I usually do have that, though). Got back in waiting cab. Cabbie got me to building for passport office, gave him a generous tip. Into building. Wrong building. Walked a few blocks. Right building. Found passport office. A security line and X-ray, a line to check in, a line tell my story, more forms, then a piece of paper with my number to be called for my "appointment." All the people I talked to were behind plexiglass windows, everyone very nice, actually, but rules to be followed. I was told there was "a chance" I may get a passport today, so I could make my cruise tomorrow, 6/11. The room is filled with people in various stages of crises or needs. It's now 9:40 am. The office would be closed today at 2:00 pm. Not open again till 6/13, two days after cruise.

My number is called. Another plexiglass window. This is my "appointment." Very nice lady. Lots of questions. She asked "when are you traveling?" I laughed and said 3 hours ago! But now we had a rebooked flight for 7:12 pm. Had to give flight #, confirmation code, etc. My passport card was ok as proof of citizenship. Paid a fee. Showed my drivers license, boarding pass, gave my copy of passport, info on my parents and wedding date and other things. She says they would go over all this for a few hours to see if my photos and such match up and if what I've said is "factual and true." If they judge so, I'll have a new passport between 11:30-12:30, so come back then. I got a slip of paper to present at that time.

If there is no passport today, I can't fly to Vancouver for cruise tomorrow. My TA said our insurance likely would cover cruise but unsure. I kinda don't care, emotionally, because I'm already functioning with the money gone -- I wanna go on the cruise! And, my cousin and her husband are flying to Vancouver. Right now.

To pass the time, I went across street where there was a local hotel, waited in lobby, used wifi, had a cool drink, called and updated everyone. Back to passport office at 11:30. Again security, again X-ray. Again a line. At plexiglass window, I slid the paper I was given. A minute later, the lady came back.

Here is your new passport.

Uber back to Denver international airport (never Uber-ed before; very cool). Back at DIA and rejoined DW 12:30 pm.

Landed in Vancouver 10 pm.

-:eek:-OMG, your story was giving me a heart attack--iv gone through something similar but not that bad--looking forward to this cruise with you guys:D

All I can say about the pre cruise near disaster is WOW!!!

Loving the beginning and know I will love the middle and end of this book:)

The "Brunch Cafe" you mentioned and took photos of is an amazing place. I had breakfast there one morning and was impressed by the food, the quality, quantity, the price and the staff. It was a place to remember so I can eat there again and again:)

Joanie

Hey great photos & review!! Can't wait to go now, will be on board next Saturday. Am choppin at the bit. The weather here in sunny Calif, has been overcast for the last couple of days. Suppose that's what one can expect in Alaska.:rolleyes:

Yeah, so far it's rainy and foggy today. Had some sun poke through. Funny how it's all fine when on a cruise to take care of you though!

- Joel

All I can say about the pre cruise near disaster is WOW!!!

Loving the beginning and know I will love the middle and end of this book:)

The "Brunch Cafe" you mentioned and took photos of is an amazing place. I had breakfast there one morning and was impressed by the food, the quality, quantity, the price and the staff. It was a place to remember so I can eat there again and again:)

Joanie

Yes, it was very good. The Bellagio cafe.

- Joel

I can't not comment on the awful news of the Orlando shooting. Cannot help but feel guilty for enjoying a vacation of indulgences. Puts so much in perspective. We are so blessed, so fortunate. Cannot understand why people choose to be so bad others. So much to find wrong swirling around this tragedy. I know many are going to use this as a vehicle for political and other commentary, and that bothers me too. Just bad, any way you slice this. I hope I am not being disrespectful but I'm gonna keep loving and living life and enjoy it while I can. I know this is cruise "critic," but it's impossible to find anything we discuss here as "stressful," "terrible," "unacceptable" or other hyperbole. For goodness sake, we are enjoying a vacation on a ship at sea being taken care of by hard working people.

Off soapbox. Sorry.

It cannot be wrong to take a moment out to reflect on a tragedy from home. It's human and decent. Such a horrible thing demands to be acknowledged on behalf of its victims and you have done that. A virtual hug from a Canadian neighbour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thank you for taking time to post here. I too was stressing just reading of your lost passport. It reminded me of a trip 2 years ago and after leaving TSA heading to our flight a TSA agent comes running and stops my DH handing him his passport! We could have easily found ourselves stranded. So happy you were able to get the new passport. Have a great cruise. We sail to Alaska on the 25th so will like hearing about your trip. Have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

CRUISE DAY 1

Sea day. Sunday 6/11

Great night sleep on best bed I've had in 5 cruises. Enjoyed a hot room service breakfast. Cool foggy day. Sat in front of window in room watching the sea stroll by.

Lunch in buffet area. Crowded but workable. Lots of food options and generally quite good, and as with MDR, also seemed better than Oosterdam last year. Is is improvement in HAL fleet, one ship vs another, or just me? Don't know. But the constant haranguing on about falling standards and "ain't what it used to be" laments do not feel like what I'm seeing.

Wonderful bamboo massage at Greenhouse Spa. Relaxing. A lot of the aches and pains from the running around on Friday squeezed away. Tried to sell me in products to buy and the need for more massages during this 1 week cruise, but not pushy after I said no thanks.

Invited to a wine and cheese reception in the afternoon, turned out it was an infomercial for the HAL frequent traveler program so I gave it a miss. Caught the end of my St. Louis Cardinals beating the Pittsburgh Pirates on TV. It's almost as if they, too, are gifting me a treat for my vacation. They've played great for me winning the last 3 days while I'm on this trip. Thanks, guys. Watched the game in the bar next to the casino. Lots of people sitting around, talking. I love being on a cruise ship. People on a cruise are generally happy. So many are excited, sometimes it's a trip of a lifetime for them. We're all thrown in together in a relatively small space for days or weeks on end, so most people are outgoing, eager to meet, ready to have a good time. It's just a nice vibe. You don't get that it at a beach, landmark, or a hotel or resort, at least not in the same way.

Dinner tonight was the first of two "gala" nights for this cruise. I wore a black blazer and black slacks and a tie and I was overdressed for some, under for others. Saw several men with open collar shirt and no tie. Evening entertainment was a pair of identical twins who played violin. Then went to BB King Blues till midnight.

We gain an hour tonight as we approach Juneau. In AM will be in Tracy Arm Fjords. Arrive Juneau 1:30 PM. Today was mostly cold to cool and foggy or light rain, but intermittent periods of sunshine too. At 11:45 pm it was only starting to get dark. Seas a bit choppy, enough that needed to hold railings at times in public areas.