Tipping on Celbrity shore Excursions?

sarmeier

Celebrity is NOT a US line, they register all over the world so they do not pay US taxes. They hire very few US citizens. They do serve many US passengers.

Celebrity is an American company, under the umbrella of Royal Caribbean, Inc. that is on the U.S. Stock Exchange. RCL. Feel free to do some research and inform yourself.

Don't really care what anyone else thinks .... if a tour guide has done a great job we give him/her/them a tip.... and no one, not ever, in 20 years of cruising has 1) seemed insulted 2) refused it 3) acted as though it was too little or too much

We are from the USA and, yes, it IS part of our culture...we don't have a problem with it.... we also don't have a problem NOT tipping if service is bad....

Sometimes it's 10%, sometimes it's just a couple of $$, sometimes it's $5 or $10 .... and on a rare occasion (thankfully) it's $0.....

Does it make us feel "good" to do it? I don't know, while saying "thank you" is nice, money is usually nicer, and I believe that ANYONE working on a ship or conducting a tour or waiting table in a restaurant is not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts...they are WORKING for a living and if my tip makes something a bit easier well good, I'm glad.... so I guess it does make us feel better, but that is NOT the reason that we tip.

Celebrity is an American company, under the umbrella of Royal Caribbean, Inc. that is on the U.S. Stock Exchange. RCL. Feel free to do some research and inform yourself.

But they can't cruise from US Port to US Port because of the Jones Act?

I can't offer a worldwide, always correct suggestion, but here's a suggestion for anyone who is eating in the UK..................

Ask the wait staff, (whisper if you need to) if they receive tips or if they gets trousered by the owner. I too have family who have worked in the restaurant business, one of them a Michelin starred place where the owner scooped up the lot because, in her words, "You're paid well enough for your work and running this place costs a bomb".

I've also eaten at a very swish and rather expensive golf resort where on asking if a service charge was included was politely asked by the waiter to leave nothing, because he wouldn't see it and it went straight to corporate.

This advice applies to both credit card and cash transactions. Of course, feel free you bring your own local customs with you, do as you wish and be certain you're doing the right thing.

Says tip but does not say you have to tip how much, and the good part about that is its not a hand written one. you never offend anyone if you don't tip. it is an option not mandatory.

Come on - maybe not in Europe but From North America to South America you are expected to tip for most travel type services (maid, servers, tour guides, drivers, etc.) and you are cheating them if you do not. They may not act or say they are offended because of good manors but they are. How would you feel if you worked for someone all day and did not get paid!:(

Don't really care what anyone else thinks .... if a tour guide has done a great job we give him/her/them a tip.... and no one, not ever, in 20 years of cruising has 1) seemed insulted 2) refused it 3) acted as though it was too little or too much

We are from the USA and, yes, it IS part of our culture...we don't have a problem with it.... we also don't have a problem NOT tipping if service is bad....

Sometimes it's 10%, sometimes it's just a couple of $$, sometimes it's $5 or $10 .... and on a rare occasion (thankfully) it's $0.....

Does it make us feel "good" to do it? I don't know, while saying "thank you" is nice, money is usually nicer, and I believe that ANYONE working on a ship or conducting a tour or waiting table in a restaurant is not doing it out of the goodness of their hearts...they are WORKING for a living and if my tip makes something a bit easier well good, I'm glad.... so I guess it does make us feel better, but that is NOT the reason that we tip.

Well said, Gracie....I share your philosophy. Knowing that most of the people who take care of us on vacations are from emerging countries, it does make me feel "good" to tip them extra.....and why shouldn't it? We have so much....it seems the least we can do is share it with someone who is working hard and doing a good job.

Says tip but does not say you have to tip how much, and the good part about that is its not a hand written one. you never offend anyone if you don't tip. it is an option not mandatory.

Come on - maybe not in Europe but From North America to South America you are expected to tip for most travel type services (maid, servers, tour guides, drivers, etc.) and you are cheating them if you do not. They may not act or say they are offended because of good manors but they are. How would you feel if you worked for someone all day and did not get paid!:(

Actually, I feel "cheated " when I get poor service.;) And would not offer a gratuity.

Um, you DO know service workers get paid, right?:o