Table Size Queens Grill

ClanMcLean

Hi there,

I've just noticed on our VP that we can select our preferred table size in the Queens Grill restaurant. It only gives the option for 4,6 or 8. I know there are tables for 2, so find it odd that they don't have this as an option.

We need a table for 3, as we have our 6yr old son with us.

I've selected a table for 4, but I'm assuming they'll just give us a table for 3?

Am I right in thinking the restaurant opens at 1.30pm for lunch on embarkation day?

Thanks

I think it is 1pm to 2.30pm for lunch, without checking that is my recollection.

Yes there are tables for 2 but perhaps as you are a party of 3 including a minor that option doesn't show as available to you? Again working from memory the redesign of the restaurant is said to include more tables for 2 than previously so that's why I've assumed your party size is relevant.

Likelihood is that a family with a six-year-old would be allocated their own table of 4 with one place unoccupied, but it's always a matter of waiting to see on arrival where the Maître D' has placed you.

M-AR

Many thanks.

Yes, good point about not offering a table of two due to being three of us. I'm sure it will all be sorted when we turn up for lunch that day.

Your allocated table number will be in your suite on arrival on a card.

Get upstairs early and get a seat in the Grill Lounge to be certain that you'll be one of the first in the restaurant at 1:00pm. Present your card to the Maitre d' or Head Waiter.

If the table size or location does not suit you, politely ask for it to be changed.

In most cases they will oblige if possible.

Stewart

Get upstairs early and get a seat in the Grill Lounge to be certain that you'll be one of the first in the restaurant at 1:00pm. Present your card to the Maitre d' or Head Waiter.

If the table size or location does not suit you, politely ask for it to be changed.

Stewart

If the Grills are sold out , as in our situation, and tables assigned before arrival how can your table be changed?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If the Grills are sold out , as in our situation, and tables assigned before arrival how can your table be changed?

They might be allocated, but that's not set in tablets of stone, and in my experience, changes can be, and are made. All the more reason to get in first!

On a certain ship, we always have the same table.

Stewart

Every time we have been in the Grills it has been sold out, yet we have always overheard people making changes. Perhaps it is as simple as some people at a large table wanting a table for two and some at a table for two wanting to sit at a large table.

Maybe there is excess capacity in the restaurants. There have always been some passengers taking single occupancy of their stateroom so there should be a few empty places. Usually a couple with one small child is given a table for four. But one time the QG was so full a seventh chair was placed at our table for six.

Somehow it all works out and almost everyone is happy.

You can of course always ask your TA to put in a request for you in advance. I always ask for a table for two near the door so that arriving by wheelchair isn't major hassle for me, the staff or other guests. It usually works well.

Table layout has never been the same on any of our Grills trips and changes are possible but it's essential to get up there for lunch. Last time we managed to get moved a little closer to the door, but not where would have been ideal because others had already turned up and adopted their tables. Another couple we sat beside at lunch wanted to be moved right into a lonely, private corner and the M. d' duly obliged for that evening and the remainder of the cruise.

They really will stand on their heads to try to accomodate preferences if at all possible.

Stewart

Good advice! I will keep this in mind when we travel Queens this fall.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you are the only person(s) to request a change most likely you will be out of luck. However, most often a few people will find their table to be not of their liking and this gives the Maître 'd the wiggle room he needs to make almost everyone happy. Also, even though the Grills are sold out, people do miss the ship for a million different reasons and there is now a vacant table(s) to work with.

They might be allocated, but that's not set in tablets of stone, and in my experience, changes can be, and are made. All the more reason to get in first!

On a certain ship, we always have the same table.

Stewart

Same here Stewart. Mine is on Queen Mary 2, table for 6, right at the rear of the restaurant. Was numbered 26 on one Queens Grill voyage but they do change them.

If you are the only person(s) to request a change most likely you will be out of luck. However, most often a few people will find their table to be not of their liking and this gives the Maître 'd the wiggle room he needs to make almost everyone happy. Also, even though the Grills are sold out, people do miss the ship for a million different reasons and there is now a vacant table(s) to work with.

There is also a little built in overcapacity.

We were moved in PG once. We had a perfectly nice table at lunch on the first day, then during the afternoon we had a phone call from the Maitre D' asking if we would mind moving. Our table for 2 was made into one for a group of 3, a father travelling with his daughters and we were moved to a table by the window.

Everyone was happy.

I'm hoping they'll tuck us away on quite a private table. Mainly because I don't want to see the look of horror in some peoples faces when they realise how close they'll be sat to a 6yr old :p until of course they realise what a darling he is :D;)

I'm hoping they'll tuck us away on quite a private table. Mainly because I don't want to see the look of horror in some peoples faces when they realise how close they'll be sat to a 6yr old :p until of course they realise what a darling he is :D;)

Wish I had a "like" button ClanMcLean.......:) I remember the look of horror on a fellow passengers face when she realised she faced a seven hour flight seated next to me and my three month infant. Baby was duly fed, burped and placed in his skycot where he slept like an angel for almost the entirety of the flight. She however fidgeted, complained to the crew about just about everything and snored like a bear....:(

Haha, you should have seen the look on the faces of the first class cabin on the BA flight we took from SYD to LHR. The boy was only 9months old at the time. Needless to say he was a complete angel and I even had one chap approach me at the end of the flight to say how good he was [emoji4]

I endured one flight back from New York (following a QM2 TA) where to my horror I was seated close to two sets of parents, both with a baby each. As we taxied at JFK I thought :eek: .

I need not have worried; I'm sure I didn't hear a sound from either baby the whole flight. They simply slept :) .

But on the opposite side of the cabin there was a child of about four/five who screamed for the whole flight :mad: .

I am not kidding; from before take off to after landing. The whole overnight flight, lights down/lights up, meals served; approx seven hours of high-pitched continuous screaming.

Earplugs were of no use. Try to watch a movie; couldn't hear the soundtrack.

(I understand it is still illegal to invite a child to leave the aircraft whilst at 38,000ft, sadly).

I have never seen (or heard) a poorly behaved child on a Cunard ship. OK there were a few noisy/excited young teenagers in the pool and hot tubs on one crossing. And on one cruise at dinner a child started to cry on a nearby table (at which the mother took her out of the restaurant for a few minutes). But, esp in the dining rooms, I've not noted this as an issue in any way.

I think it is marvelous for adults to be able to look back to their earliest childhood memories, and be unable to remember a time when they didn't cruise with Cunard!

Edited by pepperrn

I've been on board with a six-year-old and the waiters and head waiter were fantastic with us / him. Nutella for his ice cream flambéd to order, special treats from the galley, we adults were quite jealous! Cuteness wins every time even with fellow passengers, we found the folk at adjacent tables to be chatty and friendly with us.

M-AR

I've been on board with a six-year-old and the waiters and head waiter were fantastic with us / him. Nutella for his ice cream flambéd to order, special treats from the galley, we adults were quite jealous! Cuteness wins every time even with fellow passengers, we found the folk at adjacent tables to be chatty and friendly with us.

M-AR

That's good to hear 😊