BCN to hotel, port to train

Okay...I am headed, in about 10 days, to Barcelona...arriving 4 days before the cruise, on a Monday around 5:30 pm...Staying very near the Placa Catalunya at the 1898 on Las Ramblas...In the past, I've gotten to my hotel in a number of ways including shuttles and cruise line transfers...

This time, I'm wavering between a taxi or taking the Aerobus...which only costs 4.90€ per person and drops you right by El Corte Ingles on the Placa...We'll have only one piece of luggage each--on wheels--and we walk just fine. Does it make sense to use a taxi instead? Or is it easy enough to take the Aerobus?

Then, after the cruise, we are taking an 11:00 am train to Madrid from Sants Station. There will be four of us. Best to just grab a taxi at the port?

Any idea as to the approximate cost of a taxi? Thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

I always take the airport bus in Barcelona. It's so easy and it lets you off right in the plaza you could just walk to your hotel. I've done it several times and will be doing it again in October.

• 2 weeks later...
Taxi from BCN to Hotel Jazz (near Playa Catalunya) was around 35 Euros for us late last year. That included extra for 4 bags.

We have reservations at Hotel Jazz for Sept trip prior to cruise departure. How was the hotel?

This was perfect info for us! Thanks for sharing

We have reservations at Hotel Jazz for Sept trip prior to cruise departure. How was the hotel?

This was perfect info for us! Thanks for sharing

The hotel was very nice, clean, nicely appointed rooms, staff that speaks English very well, and a excellent location. We are planning to stay there again this fall.

• 11 months later...

I'm preparing to pre-purchase two Aerobus passes - we'll take it from BCN to city centre and just walk to hotel jazz from there.

But, does Aerobus leave from the pier when we return to Barcelona and go to the airport? I'm not sure if I should just buy single tickets.....if it leaves from the pier then is buying returns valid for that?

Aerobus, as the name indicates (aero), is the bus linking the city centre and the airport... not the port. There's no direct transportation (other than taxi) from any pier in any of the harbours direct to the airport, you have to transfer. That'll all depend of course which "pier" are you referring to.

Aerobus, as the name indicates (aero), is the bus linking the city centre and the airport... not the port. There's no direct transportation (other than taxi) from any pier in any of the harbours direct to the airport, you have to transfer. That'll all depend of course which "pier" are you referring to.

Thanks for answering my question. I had assumed maybe that aerobus ran to other parts of Barcelona perhaps, but I'll just buy two singles for the trip into town and on the way from the ship we'll take a cab to BCN.

You can purchase a return ticket for the Aerobus, and save a few euros. Check their website for further info: http://www.aerobusbcn.com/

Since we're just going one way to Hotel Jazz from the airport, then on the cruise, then from pier to airport via taxi, I just went ahead and bought our single tickets online. 15 days left!

... so @johnjen... you're not flying back home? ... ever again? :) LOL!

Btw, since you're coming in two weeks...

WEATHER

We are having yet another abnormal summer and temperatures at the beginning of June are already reaching 30-something (90s F) in the city of Barcelona, something that doesn't normally happen until the end of July (f##ck those climate change negationists!). Thankfully, these past two weeks humidity has been relatively low (40-60%) so those temperatures were "just bearable". But as a Mediterranean city, this won't hold that low for long and when these high temperatures mix with high humidity, say 80-90% -something relatively normal in summer- the feeling of heat and suffocation will increase greatly. So much so that it's expected this year to have several "tropical nights" -nights in which the minimum (!) temperature is above 20ºC (68F)- throughout the summer. Tropical nights do really suck because if you're out and about, the feeling of stickiness is constant when you're in the street. At home (hotels, etc) air conditioning is really must. We used to have only a dozen of those every summer... we'll see how this year goes, but it doesn't look too good.

... so @johnjen... you're not flying back home? ... ever again? :) LOL!

Btw, since you're coming in two weeks...

WEATHER

We are having yet another abnormal summer and temperatures at the beginning of June are already reaching 30-something (90s F) in the city of Barcelona, something that doesn't normally happen until the end of July (f##ck those climate change negationists!). Thankfully, these past two weeks humidity has been relatively low (40-60%) so those temperatures were "just bearable". But as a Mediterranean city, this won't hold that low for long and when these high temperatures mix with high humidity, say 80-90% -something relatively normal in summer- the feeling of heat and suffocation will increase greatly. So much so that it's expected this year to have several "tropical nights" -nights in which the minimum (!) temperature is above 20ºC (68F)- throughout the summer. Tropical nights do really suck because if you're out and about, the feeling of stickiness is constant when you're in the street. At home (hotels, etc) air conditioning is really must. We used to have only a dozen of those every summer... we'll see how this year goes, but it doesn't look too good.

Sounds like very much the same weather here, Enric. Looking forward to being in Barcelona. Of all the places I've visited in Spain while in the Navy, BCN will be a first, but I've been to Benidorm twice.