White Pass Railroad Tunnels

AhoyMatie

Not long at all. I have video of the longest one. Let me find it and upload it. There are actually two different tunnels. The first one is so short that you don't really lose light at all. The second one is such that by the time your claustrophobia starts to rear its ugly head (I have severe anxiety issues, much of them claustrophobia-induced) you'll be out of the tunnel.

Edited by OfficerKrupke

Would standing outside help at all? If you book through Chilkoot Tours instead of Princess, you get the entire last railway car to yourselves. I spent the majority of time out on the platform. Since it was the last car, it was great for pictures. Maybe the fresh air might help you?

My DH is a bit claustrophobic too but the outside platform freaked him out due to the heights, so if that bothers you as well, then definitely stay inside. I thought the tunnels were pretty short! I was hoping for longer ones since they're so rare in our area.

Would standing outside help at all? If you book through Chilkoot Tours instead of Princess, you get the entire last railway car to yourselves. I spent the majority of time out on the platform. Since it was the last car, it was great for pictures. Maybe the fresh air might help you?

Be careful with that statement. We booked through them and we were in the middle of the train, not the last car.

Would standing outside help at all? If you book through Chilkoot Tours instead of Princess, you get the entire last railway car to yourselves.

Unless there is a luxury car on your train. Then the luxury car is the last car on the line. First up the hill, last car on the way down. This is how the setup was for us last week.

Interesting! It was so nice being the last car going up! We took a van down, so that didn't matter. What a bummer to have the luxury car in your way!

Wasn't a bummer for me. I was in the luxury car drinking champagne and Alaskan Amber, eating smoked salmon and sitting out on the back porch with my camera. :D

• 7 months later...

I booked through Princess and had the last car to share with about 3 others. I also spent the majority of time on the platform.

You can't predict what car you will be in by who you booked with.