Info on Summit out of Los Angeles

donh1

It's a long ways off but we considering a Panama Canal Vovage on the Summit in November 2006 out of Los Angeles. We will be flying in from Fort Lauderdale the day before.

A few questions....

1) what is the exact name of the Port that this ship leaves from?

2) is LAX the best airport to fly into?

3) where would you recommend we stay? We are somewhat budget minded are looking for something within shuttle or a 15 minute taxi ride from the Pier.

Any information will be appreciated. It will be our first time for Celebrity. :)

A while back I had posted the following in another thread:

"We will be travelling the day prior to sailing. There are packages for travel from LAX to hotels near the World Cruise Center, such as the Holiday Inn and Sheraton. The following seems interesting, as they quote rates for hotel stay, transfer from LAX to hotel, and from hotel to the ship for $149 per room. The transfer back to LAX is additional, but none of us will need this! The following link provides additional information: http://www.holidayinnsanpedro.com/cruise.htm#FLY."

Hope this helps!

Hi Donh1,

RCI/Celebrity utilize the port facilities at San Pedro. If you can arrange it the Long Beach (LGB) airport is by far the best place to land/depart from. LGB is a regional airport with limited flights operating out of there, which eliminates the long walks to the gates and long lines at the screening stations and the traffic is practically nill compared to the Lax madhouse. In addition LGB is within 15 minutes of San Pedro. There are several hotels in San Pedro that have shuttles to the World Cruise Center in San Pedro. I live in Orange, CA, about 40 minutes from the port so have never stayed in San Pedro, but have heard that the Hilton and Sheratin have hotels with shuttles, and are reasonably priced. If you check the internet for hotels in San Pedro you will find other options, but I would also check the above noted chains.

If you arrive a day early there is a place (Ports of Call) that has a trolley from the hotel area, that would be an interesting place to get a harbor tour, get some very good sea food, or whatever you would enjoy doing. The Port of San Pedro has some information on the internet that you could access.

We usually arrive at the cruise terminal about 11:00am, when the debadkation is complete and they are begining the embarkation proccess. The facilities are very well managed and the boarding process is usually well organized and efficient. You are in for a great experience on the Summit, it is a beautiful ship, and the food and service are excellent. From your glass of champaign on boarding, sherbert parade service at the pool, you will enjoy some great amenities not found on other lines. You should have a great cruise.

petert

Hi, just returned from sailing out of LA......Port is San Pedro.

Stayed in Long Beach and the ride from the hotel to the ship was about

15 minutes.

I flew into LAX but as a lot of folks have suggested, see if you can

fly into LongBeach. The airport is closer to both venues and I am thinking

if I sail out of LA again that is where I will try to fly into.

We were on the ship before 12:30. I remember looking at my watch as

we went inside the terminal and it was about 12:15.

Thanks very much for all the helpful information. These boards are simply amazing. I priced the airfare using this year's rate for both Long Beach and LAX . There is basically no difference in the overall cost.... We are going out on the Zuiderdam in January 14, 2005 and when we get back we'll book the Summit cruise. Again thanks very much for the info. You kind people have enabled us to make plans. Planning is as much fun as the cruise itself......Almost....:)

We are sailing on the Summit next March, and I got the Long Beach Marriott Courtyard for $40 on Priceline:) Originally bid for a 1 star in San Pedro, it came back rejected, I expanded parameters to include Long Beach, and it came back accepted with the upgrade!

I have found air fare for abour $90 from east coast cities to Long Beach on Jet Blue, but the dates don't extend to my planned travel yet. Nevertheless, an idea of what might be available if one regularlry monitors the sites.

Happy sails to you,

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Archived