Will Brexit affect UK cruise ports

OlsSalt

Yes, and Northern Ireland also voted to remain. Like Scotland, they have a greater affinity for the EU than for England.

Interestingly, it was the Irish Republic that delayed the Lisbon Treaty by voting against it in their 2008 referendum. They had to have a second referendum in 2009 in order to get the electorate to vote the "right" way.

LOL

Seriously, this could impact ports depending upon arrangements made. Coming from EU countries to the U.K. there will most likely be more requirements to clear the ship and possibly immigration for passengers. uggh!

Depending upon the arrangements made with each country, passengers may need more than a passport. Time will tell.

No change required. As the UK is not part of Schengen then coming into the UK from the EU has always meant going through immigration with your passport.

On our recent Zuiderdam cruise this was done at Lerwick when all those going ashore had to present their passports at the tender station and anyone still on board later that morning had to visit a desk with their passport in order to clear the rest of the ship.

LOL

Depending upon the arrangements made with each country, passengers may need more than a passport. Time will tell.

Such as? A visa? I am trying to remember if it was necessary in the 60's for a US citizen to have a visa to travel in the Western European countries? Anyone remember? I don't remember it being necessary, but then, I have been known to have a convenient memory. Besides the currency and the tax advantages to US corporations doing business in the EU, what other advantages to a traveling US citizen did the EU provide? The EU, after all, is a relatively new body.

Such as? A visa? I am trying to remember if it was necessary in the 60's for a US citizen to have a visa to travel in the Western European countries? Anyone remember? I don't remember it being necessary, but then, I have been known to have a convenient memory. Besides the currency and the tax advantages to US corporations doing business in the EU, what other advantages to a traveling US citizen did the EU provide? The EU, after all, is a relatively new body.

No. U.S. citizens did not need a visa. We will just have to wait and see how things play ou. There is no sense in anticipating what may or may not happen.

Susan

For the short term, other than market and currency FX turmoil, nothing is going to change. The UK has not even given formal notice (Article 50) and all that does is start the process, which can take up to 2 years (or longer).

For the short term 3-6 months I don't see for-see any changes. There may not even be any changes through 2017, especially if the UK does not even serve the Article 50 until the fall. Will visas eventually be needed? For US, I highly doubt it. For EU citizens, who knows.

About the only change for me will be that I'll probably take a small amount of GBP (mostly the fivers, since they are being exchanged) for our August Cruise instead of all we have.

Cheers

Just a note. The referendum result is binding and it will take circa two years to fully depart from the EU.

Passengers / clients will always wish to visit the UK amongst other European destinations. The £ will recover so buy your sterling whilst rates are good!

Incidentally, the UK voter turnouts were significantly higher than the US Primaries and previous elections.

Finally, of course the referendum was the choice of the individual and the cruise lines will create itineraries where it offers maximum interest / sales and generates profits as they have done historically.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A reminder

While very interesting, especially the economic effect of unfunded public sector pensions, the topic drift has redirected the discussion away from the original post in this thread.

icon1.gif Will Brexit affect UK cruise ports

Looks like Brexit has been called and UK will leave the European Community, though not all votes in. Wonder how this might impact UK cruise ports, value of dollar to pound sterling, port costs, regulations, etc, etc, etc.

Please stay on topic. Thanks.