Will Brexit affect UK cruise ports

OlsSalt

Looks like Brexit has been called and UK will leave the European Community, though not all votes in. Wonder how this might impact UK cruise ports, value of dollar to pound sterling, port costs, regulations, etc, etc, etc.

I really think it's too early to answer any questions about what will happen if... It's all speculation right now. And the media LOVES to speculate, especially when they have nothing concrete to report.

The referendum is not binding, so it is possible that Parliament can overrule the results and remain in the EU despite the results.

And right now I think the reaction is more one of shock than anything else. The early polls were too close to call, though I think most pundits thought it was going to end up close with Remain on the winning side.

News reports now claim the Dutch might want out too, and want a referendum for themselves. Maybe a revival of the old Hanseatic League could be a viable alternative to the EU? Having just sailed many of the old Hanseatic locales, this might make a more natural relationship than pan-European that includes Southern and Eastern Europe and now the possibility of Turkey too?

Edited by OlsSalt

As of 10:30 PM in California the Pound has dropped 10% since this afternoon. Euro has dropped 3% against the US Dollar. Massive moves for the currency market. European market expecting to be down 7%. Looks like US S&P currently expected to drop around 9% at the open tomorrow.

Expect a wild ride in both the stock and currency market.

Edited by RDC1

The UK is OUT a close call - 51.9% The pound is falling fast - was going to say sinking fast but maybe not on a cruise board.... May well put Brits off traveling abroad if the £ drops too low. The out voters obviously think that the UK is some sort of big country who can survive on its own, rather than the little fish in a huge ocean, which what it is.

I actually sat in the Dutch cafe on the koningsdam and cried this morning ... I'm ashamed at the small minded xenophobic stupidly of the country I live in ... I voted remain for the good of the country and the European region as a whole, in my opinion a vote to leave was a selfish vote ... Rant over :mad:::confused:(:confused::(

I actually sat in the Dutch cafe on the koningsdam and cried this morning ... I'm ashamed at the small minded xenophobic stupidly of the country I live in ... I voted remain for the good of the country and the European region as a whole, in my opinion a vote to leave was a selfish vote ... Rant over :mad:::confused:(:confused::(

We have some here on the QM2 who are celebrating; I wonder if their pound continues to drop, if they will be so happy?

I'm hoping the financial turmoil here in the U.S. will quickly stabilize. This is a real issue for me as I'm retired and counting on my investments to see me through my remaining days. Significant drops will affect my ability to travel/cruise. If things don't rebound quickly, I may have to go out into the forest and live off the grid!

Yes, a shock. Just a mere 1.4 million voters will cause this for the other 50 million and only 70% voted. Gibraltar went to 96% Remain.... the rest of us in the B.O.T.C. were not even allowed to vote!

Well, we had better get cracking.

Yes, a shock. Just a mere 1.4 million voters will cause this for the other 50 million and only 70% voted. Gibraltar went to 96% Remain.... the rest of us in the B.O.T.C. were not even allowed to vote!

Well, we had better get cracking.

"only" 70% turnout is good compared to US standards. It's shocking how many registered voters in the US don't bother to vote. The sad thing about a close election like this is that roughly half the people will be disappointed/unhappy. This kind of a split is not good, and it's coming our way, too. Whichever way the US election goes, it will be close and half of the country will not like the results.

I really think it's too early to answer any questions about what will happen if... It's all speculation right now. And the media LOVES to speculate, especially when they have nothing concrete to report.

The referendum is not binding, so it is possible that Parliament can overrule the results and remain in the EU despite the results.

And right now I think the reaction is more one of shock than anything else. The early polls were too close to call, though I think most pundits thought it was going to end up close with Remain on the winning side.

Would PM Cameron have resigned if it were likely that Parliament would override the vote? Somehow, I doubt it. I agree that the current reaction (fueled by the media, once again) is due to shock and speculation of the unknown. Far too early to predict anything, let alone whether our 401's will tank on a long-term basis. My rant: The media, fanning the flames of fear. I, for one, refuse to get caught up in it.

...she said, ranting on social media. :) :D

LOL

Seriously, this could impact ports depending upon arrangements made. Coming from EU countries to the U.K. there will most likely be more requirements to clear the ship and possibly immigration for passengers. uggh!

Depending upon the arrangements made with each country, passengers may need more than a passport. Time will tell.

LOL

Seriously, this could impact ports depending upon arrangements made. Coming from EU countries to the U.K. there will most likely be more requirements to clear the ship and possibly immigration for passengers. uggh!

Depending upon the arrangements made with each country, passengers may need more than a passport. Time will tell.

Keep in mind that the actual exit is two years away. The vote triggers the start of the negotiations for exit.

The UK is OUT a close call - 51.9% The pound is falling fast - was going to say sinking fast but maybe not on a cruise board.... May well put Brits off traveling abroad if the £ drops too low. The out voters obviously think that the UK is some sort of big country who can survive on its own, rather than the little fish in a huge ocean, which what it is.

WSJ this very morning had a full page ad claiming you could buy apartments in Paris with British pounds - talk about bad timing. Sure why not pay twice all the sudden. Though the old rule still applies - markets hate uncertainty so it should be a rough ride as this settles out.

Our recent cruise demonstrated there are indeed two UK's - the vast amounts of totally agrarian UK in contrast to the highly concentrated urban centers like London and Glasgow. And each voted accordingly.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

Those familiar with Lewis Carroll will know...

T'was brillig and the slithy roves did gyre and gimble in the wave and the momeraths outgrabe ........

I guess things will be all sixes and sevens for a while - but gloom and doom, I don't think so. Think autonomy and partnering with the go it alone economies of Scandinavia ....... cream always rises to the top and the UK has always been the cream of Europe. Keep calm and carry on. (!)

Edited by OlsSalt

With lots of close friends and relatives in the UK, I share their concern. Still, most thinking people had rational doubts about the way the EU was operating. Masses of Eurocrats on the payroll tinkering with strictly internal matters, allowing irresponsible spendthrifts like Greece to undermine the common currency; cobbling together a union of such disparate national attitudes as those of Italy and Germany was, to use a comment from a different scene, a bridge too far.

The influx of energetic Eastern Europeans willing to work hard was shattering to the union-coddled native labor force. Adding the unknown element arising from hundreds of thousands of displaced Middle East refugees on the other side of the channel gave the majority of voters reason to be unreasonable.

T'was brillig and the slithy roves did gyre and gimble in the wave and the momeraths outgrabe ........

I guess things will be all sixes and sevens for a while - but gloom and doom, I don't think so. Think autonomy and partnering with the go it alone economies of Scandinavia ....... cream always rises to the top and the UK has always been the cream of Europe. Keep calm and carry on. (!)

"roves"? weren't they toves?

"only" 70% turnout is good compared to US standards. It's shocking how many registered voters in the US don't bother to vote. The sad thing about a close election like this is that roughly half the people will be disappointed/unhappy. This kind of a split is not good, and it's coming our way, too. Whichever way the US election goes, it will be close and half of the country will not like the results.

No, Australia does this sort of thing better. You vote or you might be fined. End of story.

"roves"? weren't they toves?

Bad spell check - I guess it just choked on nonsense words and I was moving too fast to check it. Of course you are right - my only bit of high school poetry I can still remember beside Lily O"Grady, silly and shady longing to be a lazy lady....