Would like advice please on Late Season AK?

axelskater

I greatly respect Queen's opinion but there are always differing ones, I can only show you what our Sept. 3rd 2014 cruise was like and a picture is worth a 1000 words...so much in fact that we booked the same cruise on Solstice this year...

Here are, in order posted...arriving Ketchikan (rainiest town in Alaska or so they say)...a twilight pic (loved the light at this time of evening)...and an inside passage (we had fog only one day out of 7, returning inside passage to Vancouver, all other days were sunny and warm)

14vgq45.jpg

2zodlbc.jpg

2008d1h.jpg

Pictures look great. We will be on same cruise. I am ready for whatever but really would like good weather.

I weighed everything - price, time of year, etc., and I booked September 2nd of next year. It was still a nice savings over August, and I made my deposit today. I ended up getting the port side cabin.

I hope on the way back to Seattle, after Glacier bay, towards Ketchikan, that we are close enough to the shore to see some nice scenery.

If you are not determined to sail from Seattle then you should look at the Holland America itineraries available from Vancouver. They are really nice and you will enjoy a much more scenic route from your suite and the price should be close to the same as from Seattle.

I do not find airfare prices to be an issue from Florida and often find better fares and times in and out of Vancouver.

What is your itinerary, I can tell you the scenic areas to consider taking time to enjoy. Unfortunately, with round trip Seattle, you do have 2 open ocean sea days, with little scenery.

Seattle, Washington

Sunday, Aug 07

Depart 04:00 PM

DAY

At Sea

DAY

Juneau, Alaska

Tuesday, Aug 09

Arrive 02:00 PM

DAY

Skagway, Alaska

Wednesday, Aug 10

Arrive 07:00 AM

DAY

At Sea

DAY

Ketchikan, Alaska

Friday, Aug 12

Arrive 06:00 AM

DAY

Victoria, British Columbia

Saturday, Aug 13

Arrive 06:00 PM

DAY

Seattle, Washington

Sunday, Aug 14

Arrive 08:00 AM

Would love to know some of your pearls of wisdom for this sailing. We always read your tips and thoughts, and find them very informative and helpful.

Thank you so much for any tips, especially best viewing times and areas.

Safe sailing

Seattle, Washington

Sunday, Aug 07

DAY

At Sea

DAY

Juneau, Alaska

Tuesday, Aug 09

DAY

Skagway, Alaska

Wednesday, Aug 10

DAY

At Sea

DAY

Ketchikan, Alaska

Friday, Aug 12

DAY

Saturday, Aug 13

DAY

Seattle, Washington

Sunday, Aug 14

Would love to know some of your pearls of wisdom for this sailing. We always read your tips and thoughts, and find them very informative and helpful.

Safe sailing

Keep in mind that when you are at sea northbound and traveling between Ketchikan and Victoria usually you about 20 - 30 miles from the shore. The shore is just a faint line on the horizon.

I'm going to piggyback on the OPs thread. I'm glad I found it, because I didn't know about BudgetQueen's level of knowledge.

If anyone has information about best places for scenic viewing from the deck, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sailing on the Westerdam, the following itinerary:

14 September - depart Vancouver

15 September - cruising Inside passage

16 September - Tracy Arm then Juneau

17 September - Skagway

18 September - Glacier Bay

19 September - Ketchikan

20 September - cruising Inside passage

21 September - Vancouver

What type of rain gear would be best. I gave sturdy, waterproof, lined boots, so my feet will be fine. However, I just have a rain poncho and think more might be needed?

Thank you, in advance, for any advice you can offer. I'm extremely excited--first trip to Alaska and only my second cruise ever.

Edited by 12Mermaids

On a sidenote..... what excursions do you have planned for the 16th. If a Tracy Arm Fjord trip is possible.... book early as it will be the first to be sold out on that day.

Seattle, Washington

Sunday, Aug 07

DAY

At Sea

DAY

Juneau, Alaska

Tuesday, Aug 09

DAY

Skagway, Alaska

Wednesday, Aug 10

DAY

At Sea

DAY

Ketchikan, Alaska

Friday, Aug 12

DAY

Saturday, Aug 13

DAY

Seattle, Washington

Sunday, Aug 14

Safe sailing

You have scenic sailing leaving Seattle. day 2 is open ocean, day 3, from dawn- I suggest an attempt to be outside- I always see humpbacks, and it's all scenic all the way to Juneau.

Day 5 "sea day"??? not a glacier? Day 6 all scenic sailing for several hours. day 7 open ocean, most of day until late afternoon.

I'm going to piggyback on the OPs thread. I'm glad I found it, because I didn't know about BudgetQueen's level of knowledge.

If anyone has information about best places for scenic viewing from the deck, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sailing on the Westerdam, the following itinerary:

14 September - depart Vancouver

15 September - cruising Inside passage

17 September - Skagway

18 September - Glacier Bay

19 September - Ketchikan

20 September - cruising Inside passage

21 September - Vancouver

What type of rain gear would be best. I gave sturdy, waterproof, lined boots, so my feet will be fine. However, I just have a rain poncho and think more might be needed?

Thank you, in advance, for any advice you can offer. I'm extremely excited--first trip to Alaska and only my second cruise ever.

I need times in port. Your dawn time is around 7am- for Tracy Arm

On a sidenote..... what excursions do you have planned for the 16th. If a Tracy Arm Fjord trip is possible.... book early as it will be the first to be sold out on that day.

I'd love to go to Tracy Arm, but Holland America is showing no excursions. I think I will have to find and book one from an independent source in Juneau.

I need times in port. Your dawn time is around 7am- for Tracy Arm

We depart Vancouver at 5:00 p.m.

Tracy Arm shows only 10:00 a.m. - 10:30 a.m., then arriving in Juneau at 1:00 p.m. (departing at 10:00 p.m.) I'm a little confused, because I had read in the HAL forum that sometimes the ships go to Tracy Arm just long enough for passengers to disembark if they've booked an excursion. So I am not sure whether to wait for the cruise line to post an excursion in Tracy Arm. More likely, given what I've been reading, we might divert to Endicott Arm.

Skagway is 7:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. (I have already booked the train/bus tour to Carcross and back, which will take 8.5 hours of the day).

Glacier Bay 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (I am hoping to stay outside taking photos most of the day, but am not sure if it's scenic all the way in or not.)

Ketchikan 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (Have rented a car to go check out tidepools and other things on Tongass Highway.)

I've read that one can see wildlife while in the Inside Passage, but I don't know where I'm most likely to see anything. Given that we have two days of cruising there, I don't want to stay on deck all the time.

Thanks, again, to anyone with advice on where to look for wildlife. My mother cannot cruise with me, so I want to bring back spectacular photos for her to share this experience with me!

Hmm.... this is the HAL excursion you want to see if it's available....

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-destinations/ExcursionDetails.action?excursionCode=100030935

Yes, but when I try to book it, the page reads (in red font):

"There are no Tours available to be booked for this port at this time. Please check back later."

This afternoon I emailed Allen Marine Tours to find out if they have something that will work with the ship's schedule.

You have scenic sailing leaving Seattle. day 2 is open ocean, day 3, from dawn- I suggest an attempt to be outside- I always see humpbacks, and it's all scenic all the way to Juneau.

Day 5 "sea day"??? not a glacier? Day 6 all scenic sailing for several hours. day 7 open ocean, most of day until late afternoon.

Thank you so much, you are so informative.

Day 5 is Glacier Bay (sorry that didn't show). Does it matter which side of the ship to be on?Forward or aft?

Thanks once again

Safe sailing

Thank you so much, you are so informative.

Day 5 is Glacier Bay (sorry that didn't show). Does it matter which side of the ship to be on?Forward or aft?

Thanks once again

Safe sailing

Glacier Bay day, be out by dawn and plan on staying out. glaciers and commentary match up on the port side. From the entrance- it's 3++ hours to glaciers.

We took the last Celebrity ship out of Seward in September 2015.

Yes we were blessed with good to typical weather for Alaska in September. (Overcast, cool, no rain ) We totally enjoyed our cruise & spent as much time on shore as possible. The ship was merely our hotel, as Alaska has so much to offer on land... The days were not that short as we had daylight past 9pm.

You have chosen a great itinerary & wonderful ship. Use it to your fullest advantages.

Here are a few photos during our visits to the ports. These pictures speak loudly to the weather conditions we enjoyed during our cruise.

2122_edited-1_zpsftcxtyxa.jpg[/img]

Seward, Alaska doing the Kenai Peninsula Fjord Tour. This is the day before we boarded the ship. Super conditions... Sunny, light winds & calm seas.

231_edited-1_zps9dage4sl.jpg[/img]

Hubbard Glacier... Lots of action & the ship was close. Amazing noise with an overcast sky & very calm water.

1240_edited-1_zpsahbffo7m.jpg[/img]

Low clouds & fog at the top of Mount Roberts Tramway in Juneau. We took a float plane to Taku Lodge & encountered much fog during the flight. Wonderful lunch & sightseeing around the grounds at the lodge.

1921_edited-1_zpsu8p1wtma.jpg[/img]

Skagway with Emerald Lake. Overcast all day with mild temp in the 60's. Took a 9 hour tour, with an adventure into the Yukon with no rain.

1507_edited-1_zpsku0ls9uo.jpg[/img]

Ketchikan, leaving the port after a full day of tours. Weather beautiful, some nice photos later as we cleared the port. I'm sending these as a picture is worth a________ words. Yes we had exceptional weather for September, however we were prepared for the worst & with very good outdoor clothing & water-proof jackets with hoods. These were handy for windy conditions & viewing from the top decks near the glaciers. So glad we had gloves & a warm hat. ( ski cap to cover our ears) Binoculars highly recommended.

Happy Travels, John

We took the last Celebrity ship out of Seward in September 2015... The days were not that short as we had daylight past 9pm.

Sorry this is no way true mid Sept on the inside passage. The mainland does have more extended daylight due to more twilight- reason why I always suggest a northbound cruise if combo touring. I've cruised this timeframe numerous times, it's dusk on the inside passage around 7pm. The twilight is shorter. And it's darn dark, outside of a full moon.

Edited by Budget Queen