FTTF is this typical bags not in room?

may_bartram

We paid for FTTF on our Dream cruise in 2013. We did not receive our luggage early. We did have the proper tags. Maybe FTTF had not been implemented for too long or something? When we got to the port the staff sent us to sit in a certain area. Then another lady came and told us we where not in the right area. After boarding, we were stopped in the hallway by the staff and told we could not go to our cabin. We told them we had purchased FTTF and they did not seem to know what we were talking about. We did not complain to Guest Services. It did not ruin our trip but, we decided we would not purchase it again either. Now with staggered boarding I may have to rethink that. I really like to get on the ship & start my cruise as early as possible. :D

You are reading the measurements wrong. laying flat on the bed, for example, the case cannot be taller than 16" or wider than 24", the length doesn't matter. the 25" measurement that we typically buy luggage with, is the length, not the width. My case will fit just fine.

Yes that is correct - length doesn't matter. We've carried on our standard-sized suitcases multiple times. Since FTTF guarantees your cabin will be ready, you can go straight to the cabin after boarding & not have to worry about when luggage will be delivered.

Go talk with guest services - this happened to us on our last cruise (in 2014) - we got on early, our room was ready, but bags were quite late. They ended up refunding our money for FTTF, but we still got the benefits the rest of the cruise.

Go talk with guest services - this happened to us on our last cruise (in 2014) - we got on early, our room was ready, but bags were quite late. They ended up refunding our money for FTTF, but we still got the benefits the rest of the cruise.

Just wondering did they refund it as OBC, or a refund back to the source you paid with?

I don't think I'd ever buy FTTF, but just good to know how they handle it.

And I have no issue at all with you using the benefits for the rest of the cruise; all Carnival really did was offer a goodwill refund based on failing to meet some of the features of the program. They didn't rescind your right to use the other benefits. That's fine.

I've been Platinum since before FTTF came into existence.

Since it began, my bags have consistently arrived later than they used to. Yes, I make sure they have the orange stickers.

Twice I've had to have someone go track them down when I saw the hallway full of non-orange-tagged bags.

If you purchase FTTF solely to get your bags delivered early, you're wasting your money. Unless, of course, you simply go complain and get a refund.

Oh, and thanks for giving people that idea; how does Guest Services know whether you got your bags late or not? Now there will be folks clogging up the Priority line at the service desk claiming to have not gotten their bags early and wanting a refund. :mad:

Carnival has never claimed that the bags would be in your cabin when you arrived. If you were told that when you checked your bags, you were told by a port employee, not by Carnival, and it is simply not true.

Why would someone purchase FTTF and not know - exactly - what it entails?

And not all ports have a separate security line for Priority. Some don't get priority until you're heading to the check-in desk. Not all ports are the same, folks. If you want to know the Priority embarkation process, ask people in your Roll Call who have sailed from there before. It really isn't difficult to get all the info you need prior to sailing (or prior to purchasing something that doesn't give you the benefits you imagine that it will).

I know what I purchased thank you. I had and have all the info I need.

I for one do not expect my bags to be in the room when I board, that is not part of FTTF. However, express luggage delivery is, and getting your bags well after everyone else is not express delivery.

Priority check in is also part of FTTF.

Your stateroom being ready as soon as you board is another perk that was paid for and some are not getting apparently.

From Carnivals web site;

Priority Check-in with Express Boarding

Express Luggage

Your luggage will be expedited to your stateroom so you can unpack and get settled in for a great vacation!

Guaranteed Stateroom

Your stateroom will be ready as soon as you board,

These are part of what I paid for and if I don't receive everything I paid for then an adjustment to the fee needs to be made. You wouldn't go to a restaurant with a meal deal that included drink, apps, entre and dessert and not get all of these but expect to still pay for them.

Maybe I should start going to GS and complaining that FTTF people are getting their bags before me. I'm Platinum. Don't they know I'm special? I demand to be compensated for the indignity!!

I earned my Platinum perks and paid plenty to get to Platinum. How dare they allow someone who bought their perks to receive them before me!

P.S. The above is written in a sarcastic tone.

This thread is crazy. I don't have any time for all of the angst people are going through.

I've been Platinum from the first day the program existed (and qualified by the initial # of cruises and 75 days day 1) and I go on cruises to have a good time, not to stress over misreading product descriptions. What people say on CC is often mostly useless. Feel free to file this post in that category too :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I know what I purchased thank you. I had and have all the info I need.

I for one do not expect my bags to be in the room when I board, that is not part of FTTF. However, express luggage delivery is, and getting your bags well after everyone else is not express delivery.

Priority check in is also part of FTTF.

Your stateroom being ready as soon as you board is another perk that was paid for and some are not getting apparently.

From Carnivals web site;

These are part of what I paid for and if I don't receive everything I paid for then an adjustment to the fee needs to be made. You wouldn't go to a restaurant with a meal deal that included drink, apps, entre and dessert and not get all of these but expect to still pay for them.

All good points, I agree....its just the "expedited" part is really open for interpretation....As FTTF, you received your bags at 5pm, yet others received them at 7pm, you could consider that expedited....right? I will say I don't think Carnival should reimburse a passenger the entire $60 because they didn't get their bags in what the passenger thought was an expedited manner, yet still allow that passenger all the perks that come with FTTF....they didn't pay for that

Edited by First and Ten

Except they don't say expedited, they say express. From the dictionary, express: a system or method of sending freight, parcels, money, etc., that is faster and safer, but more expensive, than ordinary freight service.

Anyone who is expecting express service whether they be a FTTF or Platinum guest, should expect to receive their bags faster, not after most of their entire corridor has been delivered. Perhaps they shouldn't get a full refund but how much should they receive? I don't know.

If you purchase FTTF and didn't get priority check in, express luggage and your cabin wasn't ready, what percentage of the amount should be refunded? Different guests will place different value on each item. Besides, you purchased a package, not individual items. Not sure how they would break it down.

I'm not irate with Carnival and it's not angst, it's simply wanting to get what you paid for, the same as anyone else on here.

Except they don't say expedited, they say express. From the dictionary, express: a system or method of sending freight, parcels, money, etc., that is faster and safer, but more expensive, than ordinary freight service.

Anyone who is expecting express service whether they be a FTTF or Platinum guest, should expect to receive their bags faster, not after most of their entire corridor has been delivered. Perhaps they shouldn't get a full refund but how much should they receive? I don't know.

If you purchase FTTF and didn't get priority check in, express luggage and your cabin wasn't ready, what percentage of the amount should be refunded? Different guests will place different value on each item. Besides, you purchased a package, not individual items. Not sure how they would break it down.

I'm not irate with Carnival and it's not angst, it's simply wanting to get what you paid for, the same as anyone else on here.

This is from the Carnival website:

Express Luggage

Your luggage will be expedited to your stateroom so you can unpack and don your cruise attire first!

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests.

so based on that description, if you were the SECOND passenger to receive your luggage, would you complain that you weren't first?

To your point about what % should be refunded....asking for a full refund is fine if that is what the client requests and its agreeable to Carnival. I just don't think that if you go down to GS on the first night to whine about the bags not being there, you shouldn't get a full refund and still continue to utilize the benefits of FTTF....fair is fair

Edited by First and Ten

This is from the Carnival website:

Express Luggage

Your luggage will be expedited to your stateroom so you can unpack and don your cruise attire first!

Note: This is also a benefit for VIFP Diamond and Platinum guests.

so based on that description, if you were the SECOND passenger to receive your luggage, would you complain that you weren't first?

To your point about what % should be refunded....asking for a full refund is fine if that is what the client requests and its agreeable to Carnival. I just don't think that if you go down to GS on the first night to whine about the bags not being there, you shouldn't get a full refund and still continue to utilize the benefits of FTTF....fair is fair

If you simply inform them that you didn't get your bags and they offer a goodwill refund I see no harm in continuing to use the program.

If you demand a refund citing the program being ineffective I might agree you have no expectation to continue to use the benefits.

Anyone who is expecting express service whether they be a FTTF or Platinum guest, should expect to receive their bags faster, not after most of their entire corridor has been delivered.

No matter the language used, it's clearly not a guarantee. Just like my Platinum benefits, I've been helped after a non Platinum/Diamond/FTTF person when Guest Services was crazy. Similarly, the sheer volume of luggage an at times be crazy, particularly if the portion of the luggage operation that Carnival doesn't control screws something up (porters, etc). How could they do anything other than try to get your luggage to you as quickly as possible?

Also, $60 for the entire cabin including the other privileges certainly isn't a premium fee.

Also, $60 for the entire cabin including the other privileges certainly isn't a premium fee.

The nature of the program is it is a premium fee for speedier service. You can get everything FTTF offers without paying anything, you just have to wait longer.

My point was that the additional cost is absolutely NOT "premium" as in far more than standard service for the express luggage portion of the benefit.

None of this an issue for me at all, even without status, I would never pay for it.

My point was that the additional cost is absolutely NOT "premium" as in far more than standard service for the express luggage portion of the benefit.

None of this an issue for me at all, even without status, I would never pay for it.

I'll just go ahead and disagree there, it is a cost for a faster service. You can say $60 is not a lot to you for the benefits, but it is still a premium charge for things everyone already gets, just those that pay the premium ostensibly get those benefits faster. Whether it is $1 or $500, it's an upcharge for the faster benefits.

I do not think I would pay for the service either though.

My quote of express luggage came directly from Carnival's website description of what is provided by FTTF. If I knew how to make a screen shot and place it in this post I would. Apparently they offer two different claims for this service depending on where you read it.

Regardless, if you're paying extra for a service that is other than the normal it is a premium no matter what the amount charged. I, like LMaxwell, will just agree to disagree. I will still purchase FTTF if available (and have for our next cruise) and if all items are not provided that I paid for, yes, I will visit GS. I'm not in the habit of paying and not receiving. OK well, maybe to the government?:rolleyes:

We got back from our cruise on Sunday, and I thought I would stop in here for a quick update. I didn't use the internet while onboard so was surprised by the passion the topic engendered.

On the suggestion of the posters here, I checked with guest services about my bags being delayed and they said they would look into it. As I said in a previous post, most bags were delivered to rooms near us before we got any of our bags, including to the two cabins who were travelling with us who did not purchase FTTF. The bags, when delivered did have the orange stickers on them (or at least pieces of them; not sure is they were running low but the stickers had been torn in thirds). Guest services contacted me a day or two later to let me know that the bags had been delivered later than the FTTF standard (which I believe they said was two hours after you board the ship, I don't think this is published anywhere but that's what they told me). They refunded the $60 as an on-board credit and also sent a bottle of wine to my room, which was not expected. Please note I did not complain or rant to anyone on board, just asked them to check on my luggage.

I was very impressed by Carnival's customer service, both in this incident and in a number of other ways they treated my elderly parents while on board. They said to continue using the FTTF privileges so I took advantage of the priority debarkation, which was the best part of having FTTF. I would purchase it again for the debarkation alone.

To clarify about the priority security line because it came up on some posts, it was listed as a benefit but the security person said they were not able to offer it that day.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and advice.