What to do in Progreso besides ruins?

gslargent

Never been to Progreso. Traveling with another couple who are not fans of long bus rides and the excursion to the ruins sounds like a hike.

What do you recommend in terms of staying local, maybe a beach resort? I never do Carnival excursions.

Thanks for the replies!!!

Check with AutoProgreso for excursions in addition to Carnival. Used AP many times and 100% satisfied. The Dzib ruins are nice and not nearly as far away as Uxmal or Chichen Itza. Technotel is a nice beach resort and also the Yucatan Reef Club. There are others but these are the ones I've been to. Take the double decker bus for a ride around town to get oriented.

Thanks for the feedback. I would assume that AutoProgresso is simple to find when you walk off the ship and you can book everything on that day? I'm not planning to book anything ahead of time

Thanks for the feedback. I would assume that AutoProgresso is simple to find when you walk off the ship and you can book everything on that day? I'm not planning to book anything ahead of time

When you enter the pier area and walk through, AP has a store on your left. I'd pay cash for tours. They take CC but once they had trouble with their reader and some people who wanted to charge their tour were not able to.

• 4 weeks later...

there are some interesting sounding excursions to Merida... a foodie tour and a scenic tour. Both by Carnival, I know you don't want to do one by the cruise lines but there isn't much option for most excursions at ports like this.

• 1 month later...

Merida is a great option and there is lots to see and do there. From a market visit to the historical stuff to the food and drink options. It is a city of almost a million people and the colonial downtown is beautiful.

You can go on your own, go with Carnival or take a reputable third party company.

For adventure, go further out and visit some cenotes. Incredible!