MSC Cruises Reveals More Details of Meraviglia Class Cruise Ships

LauraS

Bea,,,,4500 passengers(double occupancy) 5700 passengers(maximum occupancy),,,:D

Yeah ........... the info on the technical sheets is a little less than convincing, though. Mind you, I'm not into all that stuff anyway :rolleyes: As long as my cabin is onboard I'll be happy ;)

Edited by Beamafar
Grammar

I haven't done a Western MED itinerary so I'm fine with the route. I'm doing some price comparisons right now with other cruise lines and so far the Meraviglia is coming out on top with the Oasis a close second....of course, it will still be more expensive due to airfare, but I'd rather go to Europe then doing another Carib....as I do those ALL THE TIME.

Still not ready to pull the plug though...though the good part of booking early is taking advantage of the better cabin locations.

We're getting pretty burned out with the Caribbean as well Love2. We're looking at MSC Musica just for the Eastern itinerary,,girlfriend is half Greek so no explanation needed there,,,:D

For me, the number of people isn't anything to concern over, it is space ratio.

That's why I've booked YC - lots and lots and lots of wonderful space along with the amenities that only a big ship can offer. The best of both worlds :D

Max capacity on Oasis is over 6100 passengers Bermuda,,,max capacity on Meraviglia is 5700,,,

If the numbers you've posted above are accurate- I revert back to my original post. Meg holds roughly same amount as oasis (less 400 passengers per your post above) yet is roughly the same size as freedom clAss (154k vs 167k in terms of GT). Triple yikes!!

Oasis is 225gt compared to 167gt. That's over 50,000 gross tons for only 400 more people making space ratio on oasis significantly better.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I respect that you are such a loyal fan of MSC and you have always been very helpful on the boards. I'm just pointing out that space ratio should be a serious consideration for those thinking of booking Mer and those thinking of booking should at least be aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the numbers you've posted above are accurate- I revert back to my original post. Meg holds roughly same amount as oasis (less 400 passengers per your post above) yet is roughly the same size as freedom clAss (154k vs 167k in terms of GT). Triple yikes!!

Oasis is 225gt compared to 167gt. That's over 50,000 gross tons for only 400 more people making space ratio on oasis significantly better.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I respect that you are such a loyal fan of MSC and you have always been very helpful on the boards. I'm just pointing out that space ratio should be a serious consideration for those thinking of booking Mer and those thinking of booking should at least be aware.

You're not raining on my parade Bermuda,,like Bea,,,we sail Yacht Club so the crowds are of no consequence to us,,:D

Edited by Mikesa1721

You're definitely not raining on my parade Bermuda,,like Bea,,,we sail Yacht Club so the crowds are of no consequence to us,,:D

I understand your point. I very much enjoyed the YC experience and If I could only travel a few weeks a year I might choose to sail YC exclusively also.

Unfortunately, my budget is limited and I need to stretch it out as much as possible to accommodate the fact that I am blessed enough to do 5-6 vacations each year. I simply can't afford sailing exclusively in YC when I have so many other places to travel. It's simply not a good value for me personally at 2k a week. Maybe one day :).

For those that choose not to sail YC exclusively the Mev has a spacing ratio you should be aware of.

This concerns me...I'm not planning on booking YC so I would be dealing with those crowds...:eek:

People who sail on Oasis type ships say other than boarding times and debarkation, the crowds are well dispersed. The other thing that bothers me is the fact that you have to book stuff in advance. One of the things I liked about MSC were the fact that they had two shows at night, and you just show up...like on Disney and Carnival.

This concerns me...I'm not planning on booking YC so I would be dealing with those crowds...:eek:

People who sail on Oasis type ships say other than boarding times and debarkation, the crowds are well dispersed. The other thing that bothers me is the fact that you have to book stuff in advance. One of the things I liked about MSC were the fact that they had two shows at night, and you just show up...like on Disney and Carnival.

I'm sure if you were to sail during the peak weeks like Christmas,,New Years,,etc. the ships may sail close to max capacity,,,but normally you wouldn't see those types of crowds onboard no matter which cruise line your sailing on. We like to sail while the kids are in school,,this normally reduces the number of passengers onboard,,:D

I'm sure if you were to sail during the peak weeks like Christmas,,New Years,,etc. the ships may sail close to max capacity,,,but normally you wouldn't see those types of crowds onboard no matter which cruise line your sailing on. We like to sail while the kids are in school,,this normally reduces the number of passengers onboard,,:D

I'm looking at Spring Break 2016, which I'm sure varies here and Europe, so might not be too bad. I also did a check with airlines as if I were booking for March 2017, and my favorite airline popped up,Tap Portugal, with very good rates...so If I book about 8 months out, the price won't be too bad, 1400 for two...I bet they would be comparable the following year. I am comfortable with that price, It would require an overnight stay at Portugal, but prices are so reasonable in Portugal, I wouldn't mind.

BTW, if I book and change my mind later on, will I get my deposit back if it's before PIF date with MSC?

And I checked YC for my sailing and all sold out except for insides..and I don't do insides.:o

Once you sail in a balcony stateroom it's almost impossible to sail in an inside stateroom. I really like the price of your airfare though!!! I've been looking at round trip air to Venice and thought $1,100.00 round trip was pretty good!!!:D

Once you sail in a balcony stateroom it's almost impossible to sail in an inside stateroom. I really like the price of your airfare though!!! I've been looking at round trip air to Venice and thought $1,100.00 round trip was pretty good!!!:D

Yes, prices to Venice or Rome will run around that price point as I did do some checking a few weeks ago. That's why I picked Barcelona as my sail away port, closest and I can fly Tap. (albeit with stops in Lisbon, which is fine)

Edited by Love2Cruz2015

Mike ......... you have GOT to do Venice ...... don't just dream about it .... DO IT!!!! You'll be blown away. It IS expensive - but not everywhere!!

I know Bea,,,,,I saw the pics Love2 posted from Venice and decided that a sailing from Venice to the Greek Isles will be our first trip to Europe!! I've been checking prices onboard MSC Musica but can't seem to find a week where an aft balcony stateroom is available,,,:(

Mike, the itinerary can't be beat. And yes, Venice is a magical city, it must be experiences, and definetly do the gondola ride through the canals. It has a charm that can't be defined unless you actually go and see for yourself.

Mike, the itinerary can't be beat. And yes, Venice is a magical city, it must be experiences, and definetly do the gondola ride through the canals. It has a charm that can't be defined unless you actually go and see for yourself.

Gondola ride, Gelato, and pasta top the list!! When we do go,,we'll likely spend two to three days pre-cruise and a couple of days after the cruise just to soak it all in!!

I know Bea,,,,,I saw the pics Love2 posted from Venice and decided that a sailing from Venice to the Greek Isles will be our first trip to Europe!! I've been checking prices onboard MSC Musica but can't seem to find a week where an aft balcony stateroom is available,,,:(

There's often a compromise to be made, Mike, in situations such as yours. While an aft balcony IS hugely desirable, the lack of availability isn't always the be all and end all. My first cruise from Venice was in a balcony cabin without sofa on Preziosa which, on discovering this, was (I thought) a huge disappointment, but the overall experience totally diminished it!! What I'm trying to say is that sometimes we put a little too much store by the cabin position and fail to see that it's only one of many elements to the overall experience.

There's often a compromise to be made, Mike, in situations such as yours. While an aft balcony IS hugely desirable, the lack of availability isn't always the be all and end all. My first cruise from Venice was in a balcony cabin without sofa on Preziosa which, on discovering this, was (I thought) a huge disappointment, but the overall experience totally diminished it!! What I'm trying to say is that sometimes we put a little too much store by the cabin position and fail to see that it's only one of many elements to the overall experience.

That's true Bea,,,The itinerary is quite port intensive so an aft balcony isn't a deal breaker, just a luxury I suppose. :)

I'm not sure I agree with you guys...:cool: With THAT particular itinerary *Eastern Med, and the beautiful sights I got to experience with an aft balcony, added SO MUCH to the cruise and the beauty of the sites.

Now with the itinerary on the Meraviglia, I'd be fine with a port or starboard balcony. (If I had a choice, I would always choose aft, but those cabins aren't opening up for me)

Just my opinion.

I'm not sure I agree with you guys...:cool: With THAT particular itinerary *Eastern Med, and the beautiful sights I got to experience with an aft balcony, added SO MUCH to the cruise and the beauty of the sites.

Now with the itinerary on the Meraviglia, I'd be fine with a port or starboard balcony. (If I had a choice, I would always choose aft, but those cabins aren't opening up for me)

Just my opinion.

I'm still holding out hope Love2 for that aft balcony. We're looking to sail in the summer of 2017 so maybe something will open up before then,,,if not,,we may wait until the late summer of 2018,,,

Edited by Mikesa1721

• 7 months later...

We have a room on a refundable deposit on the Mer in YC for Spring Break 2018. We've only been to Europe in the summer. Also concerned about taking our 7th and 4th grader out for a week but feel like this is a bucket list trip. Any advice? Never been on MSC. Sailing Haven for the first time this April.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Culaccino

We have a room on a refundable deposit on the Mer in YC for Spring Break 2018. We've only been to Europe in the summer. Also concerned about taking our 7th and 4th grader out for a week but feel like this is a bucket list trip. Any advice? Never been on MSC. Sailing Haven for the first time this April.

I suggest you follow the weather forecast in Europe this year as an indicator of what to expect in 2018

I suggest you follow the weather forecast in Europe this year as an indicator of what to expect in 2018

Thanks for a good suggestion. I was looking for a first-hand account- either a yes or perhaps a wish we had waited. If it is in the high 50s or low 60s, I would assume they close the outdoor pools and slides. We live in New England, but I'm pretty confident that even my two polar bears would not want to go in at that temperature. Mid 60s-they would want to swim.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums