Hi all-

I am sailing on the Empress of the Seas Monday through Saturday! SO excited!

However, I have a job interview scheduled via Skype for Tuesday (at sea). I've bought the streaming internet package, and RC has assured me that I should have plenty of bandwidth to suffice.

My question to all of you out there is, should I just rely on the audio portion of skype or will video be reliable? Also, does it matter where I am on the ship to get the best connection or will my stateroom (deck 8) be ok for this? I would not normally go to such extremes but this is a great opportunity. Has anyone had success recently with this program at sea?

Thanks in advance for you supportive comments and answers.

I guess the question will be is does Empress have the VOOM internet? I wouldn't trust the other internet to be reliable.

My advice would be have as many backup plans as possible, alternate ways to contact via phone, whatever you can do.

I think the downside to finding a better wifi signal might be those areas will be the busiest/nosiest since everyone else is looking for a better signal as well. Skype lets you make free test calls, so do some tests ahead of time to see what area works the best. Your room steward or concierge may be able to make some recommendations of where to try.

Good luck!

Edited by TBone2K

I would use speedtest just before you plan to use to assess bandwidth. Under 1Mbps.... you might be limited to email. What may be great at 1am in the morning will be different after dinner when everyone is on it.

...My question to all of you out there is, should I just rely on the audio portion of skype or will video be reliable? ....

If you can get by with audio only, then I'd go for that. I would not want my job interview to be poor quality, dropping out, freezing, etc.

Thanks for the input! The ship has a streaming option and I got that. I am going to push for audio- (for any reason other than I don't want to change out of my beach wear). I guess I also will be test skypeing that morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would use speedtest just before you plan to use to assess bandwidth. Under 1Mbps.... you might be limited to email.

It's not the speed that would make video Skype an iffy proposition, it's a high ping rate. Most reports have had STREAM at up to 4 MBs down but Skype may still suck even with that rate. Skype or any other video service will work fine around 1MB with a land based WiFi (with a ping well below 100ms) but on a ship with 600+ms ping rates, it is likely to not be smooth or even usable. Even with audio only, you might have break ups, depending on overall usage on the ship.

Biker, who would never attempt a job interview from a ship, even one with O3B internet.

About a month ago we were on a Transatlantic from Florida to England. I got the streaming internet package and used Facetime, Whatsapp, and Facebook Messenger. To video was hit and miss...sometimes it worked...and sometimes not. Even the audio was hit and miss. If it's an important interview, I'd get a phone plan with your carrier...it's not really that expensive. Think we paid something like $30 for $50 min of talk...or something in that dollar range.