Using Carnival Gift Cards

RumpunchGirl

Just wondering if it matters when you apply the gift cards to your cruise balance. I just got mine via UPS. My Cruise balance isn't due until some time in October. Is there any benefit to paying off your cruise sooner? We've never had the gift cards before and usually just pay off the balance a week before it's due. Looking for what others do! Thanks!

Just wondering if it matters when you apply the gift cards to your cruise balance. I just got mine via UPS. My Cruise balance isn't due until some time in October. Is there any benefit to paying off your cruise sooner? We've never had the gift cards before and usually just pay off the balance a week before it's due. Looking for what others do! Thanks!

It's totally up to you when you apply them to your cruise balance. The only real advantage to applying them early is the piece of mind knowing that the amount is paid and you don't have to keep track of the gift card.

Well, you've already paid for the gift card, so, in effect, you're paying off the cruise early since someone already got your money.

I usually buy the larger denominations to pay off a cruise and keep the smaller ones to take with me and apply to my account.

As said, if you go ahead and apply it to your account, at least you don't need to worry about misplacing the card!

I applied some once and neglected to mark them or discard them. Months later, I found them where I keep my other important docs and had to look up every single one to check to see if there was a balance.

Nope. I'd applied them all. I was so hoping to find a few hundred dollars I hadn't used! :o

Since the money was already spent, like the others, I went ahead and paid off my 2017 cruise. I is nice to go every now and then and check my cruise manager and see "paid in full" in the amount due section. Also like NCTribeFan I have kept several to apply to my SS card. I did think ahead and drew a line across the ones I applied with magic marker to keep from trying to use them. Not even sure why I am saving them though. Just habit I guess.

I apllied them right away but It wasn't that far ahead of the due date. I didn't want to have to go looking for them when the time came.

Only dissadvantage I can think of is if you have to cancel before the final payment is due. You can save the cards for another time rather than having to deal with getting the credit from Carnival. You have more control, you could even sell them, whereas a credit with Carnival may not be transferable.

Thanks all the replies. After we pay off the balance, we still have 3 $100 cards for our S&S account. Do you apply these after we board and how do you do that? Like I said, we've never used these before.

I used some on my last cruise. I just went to 'Guest Services', after I boarded, and had them applied to my acct.,

I didn't rush to do it, but it's nice to get it taken care of.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

Edited by WetToes

Thanks all the replies. After we pay off the balance, we still have 3 $100 cards for our S&S account. Do you apply these after we board and how do you do that? Like I said, we've never used these before.
them

Remember you can use them to pay off your deposit and have the charges refunded to your credit card as long as you do it before the final payment date.

You can go to GS to have them apply the cards or go to the kiosk near GS and apply them yourself.

Since the money was already spent, like the others, I went ahead and paid off my 2017 cruise. I is nice to go every now and then and check my cruise manager and see "paid in full" in the amount due section. Also like NCTribeFan I have kept several to apply to my SS card. I did think ahead and drew a line across the ones I applied with magic marker to keep from trying to use them. Not even sure why I am saving them though. Just habit I guess.

I also put an "X" on them after applying them to my cruise. I do save them but I don't know why I do that.

I also put an "X" on them after applying them to my cruise. I do save them but I don't know why I do that.

This stuck me as odd, but I was looking on ebay for reduced gift cards and there are many used Carnival cards with no value for sale as souvieners. $2.95 each!:eek: Maybe you should stop putting an X on them.:p

Has anyone used these gift cards with a TA? I asked my TA about them but she has been, quite literally, no help. She sent me a link to the Carnival FAQ which has no information about using a card through a TA. Can I buy the card and apply it directly to my balance, or do I need to send her the gift card number and she uses it to pay on the balance? What about using it for stuff on board, do I need to buy on board credit with it ahead of time or something, or can I just take a card with me on board and use it at guest services, or what?

edit: I found my answer in another thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2373781

Edited by ravensbad

I used them through a TA. I called, gave them the numbers, they put me on hold while they processed them through carnival, after a few minutes they came back with a confirmation number, and then sent me an email with an updated invoice.

We always apply our as we are checking in. It only takes a few seconds for them to type in the numbers and you don't have to wait in line at guest services.

We always apply our as we are checking in. It only takes a few seconds for them to type in the numbers and you don't have to wait in line at guest services.

Not every port does that.

Don't forget, you can also apply them using the kiosk.

Edited by Schoifmom

I just applied $500.00 worth of the gift cards to my balance with my TA. Easy.

That $661.00 balance for my April/17 cruise sure looks good.

Next month I'll buy another $600.00. A $61.00 balance! Sounds good, and a good amount of my tips are overed by the savings. :)

What ports do not do that? That would have been a little more helpful. Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa and New Orleans does.

I can't give you a list of the ones that don't do that, I can only tell you that in Tampa last December, they refused to take them at the port and directed me to Guest Services (which was not a problem).

I can't give you a list of the ones that don't do that, I can only tell you that in Tampa last December, they refused to take them at the port and directed me to Guest Services (which was not a problem).

I agree, applying them at GS isn't a problem, as long as you try don't do it immediately on boarding, or the last night.

There really is no rush to do it.

I just went to my Verizon account to check out these gift cards, had never heard of them before, and both the 100 and 500 cards show sold out. Is this something they do periodically or do you just have to be lucky enough to see it before everyone else does?

I just went to my Verizon account to check out these gift cards, had never heard of them before, and both the 100 and 500 cards show sold out. Is this something they do periodically or do you just have to be lucky enough to see it before everyone else does?

This reminds me, that I have wondered about the 10% off at AARP. I just recently rejoined, as I used to never see any good discounts. But, as they claim, if you......you don't know aarp. I have seen many good reasons to rejoin, and glad I have. I have ordered some of the Carnival gift cards through them, and would do more, if I find, they only offer at some times and then aren't available. If any one knows, would appreciate a heads up. I don't have Verizon, and every time I have checked on EBay, the offer is not available. We have already paid for Cheers!, FTTF, and gratuities, but, to have extra would be nice "at a discount" as the 1st day, Cheers! is not available and I'm sure we will gamble a bit. Would like it to be truly all inclusive. Thanks in advance, if someone can help.:)

This reminds me, that I have wondered about the 10% off at AARP. I just recently rejoined, as I used to never see any good discounts. But, as they claim, if you......you don't know aarp. I have seen many good reasons to rejoin, and glad I have. I have ordered some of the Carnival gift cards through them, and would do more, if I find, they only offer at some times and then aren't available. If any one knows, would appreciate a heads up. I don't have Verizon, and every time I have checked on EBay, the offer is not available. We have already paid for Cheers!, FTTF, and gratuities, but, to have extra would be nice "at a discount" as the 1st day, Cheers! is not available and I'm sure we will gamble a bit. Would like it to be truly all inclusive. Thanks in advance, if someone can help.:)

You didn't have to join AARP to get the gift cards.

I'll post when I see the cards come up. :)