Select Dining Question

Djaye

We are using Select Dining on our upcoming AK cruise on the Millie, which we have never done before. We will be in Concierge Class accommodations. Do we make our own reservations directly with whatever restaurant we want to dine in, or does the Concierge do that for us? Should we make all our reservations the first day on board, based on our planned activities for each day, or can we make them day by day?

Also, is dining handled differently the first night on board?

Thanks in advance!

We are using Select Dining on our upcoming AK cruise on the Millie, which we have never done before. We will be in Concierge Class accommodations. Do we make our own reservations directly with whatever restaurant we want to dine in, or does the Concierge do that for us? Should we make all our reservations the first day on board, based on our planned activities for each day, or can we make them day by day?

Thanks in advance!

With Select Dining, you have only one choice of restaurant, the Main Dining Room (unless you do the buffet or pay for specialty dining). I guess the "new" Concierge services that they have added to try to enhance those staterooms might include reservations, but that would simply be too much trouble for us. We either make all our reservations long before sailing or simply arrive at the restaurant when we want to eat.

We prefer Select dining also called Anytime Dining on other lines and find that more convenient than a fixed seating time that is always a bit too early or late for us with the 2 options available.

As noted by ECCruise, your dining option included with the cruise is for the Main DR (or buffet) and you can make reservations daily for the MDR if you wish or just show up. After dining the first night, you can notify the Maitre D or whoever seats you that you plan to be there the same time every night and want the same waiter (if that is what you decide to do based on your first night experience).

Personally, we just show up the time we want to dine and wait in the line for people w/o reservations which for unknown reasons is often shorter than the line with reservations. If we have decided on a specific waiter, then we always show up at the same time and usually 7:30 and get a table in the same general area for that waiter. On one cruise we had the furthest back table every night in the alcove area on the left rear portion of the dining room........despite being "in the back of the bus", we found that much quieter than the main area that overlooks the downstairs fixed time diners and combines noise from both dining levels.

Hint: If you dine at 5:30 or after 8 PM you usually have little wait time; between 6-8 is prime time in the MDR so expect to wait 5-15 minutes with or without reservation.

Finally, RE your question: dining is the same all nights including the first night but DO expect that there always seems to be much more confusion and wait time on night one for some mysterious unexplained reason.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Ill post this questions here instead of a new thread. There is no 'select dining' available on our cruise and the only option I have is traditional late seating. Can I just show up to the select dining MDR (2nd floor?) and eat there whenever I want?

You can show up, but you can't eat at select dining.

Can I show up whenever I want to the traditional dining (1st floor) and wait for a table if needed? We are only 2. On the Regal Princess we showed up whenever to all three dining rooms and they sat us with 5 mins every time.

Can I show up whenever I want to the traditional dining (1st floor) and wait for a table if needed? We are only 2. On the Regal Princess we showed up whenever to all three dining rooms and they sat us with 5 mins every time.

We worked with the Maitre'D and he fit us in to the first seating, but not into Select.

No is the short answer. You would have some leeway with the time (15 minutes or so after your scheduled time). You need to wait list for the select dining. If you don't get it before your cruise, go to the dining room when you first board the ship as they have staff attempting to adjust dining times for your needs. (No guarantee)

Thanks in advance!

Celebrity Select is the Celebrity Cruises flexible dining option. With Celebrity Select Dining, guests can arrive to be seated for dinner in the main dining room at any time between 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm, or can make reservations to dine at any time that they choose within that timeframe. We strongly encourage reservations to ensure the best service and to avoid any potential wait times.

When I booked us on the October 22, 2016 sailing of the Silhouette 9 days ago, I was told by our TA that Select Dining was unavailable and that the only option open to us was late fixed dining. I said, "OK. Just request a table for two." We eat on the late side anyway, but prefer to eat quietly together after a day of socializing, just like we do when we go out to a restaurant for dinner.

When the cruise confirmation info showed up in the email (and also on the Celebrity website, I see) we are registered as having Select Dining. So you might try that.

Susan

Traditional dining is fixed in terms of the time. You should not just show up whenever you want. It throws the service off, you run the risk of getting cold food, it makes it hard on the staff if you are out of sync with the rest of the dining room. Wait list for Select.

Celebrity Select is the Celebrity Cruises flexible dining option. With Celebrity Select Dining, guests can arrive to be seated for dinner in the main dining room at any time between 6:00 pm - 9:30 pm, or can make reservations to dine at any time that they choose within that timeframe. We strongly encourage reservations to ensure the best service and to avoid any potential wait times.

Thank you for the official clarification!

You seem to be confusing traditional vs. select dining options.

Traditional dining means you have a fixed time for dining and you must show up at that time........or up to 15-20 minutes late. If earlier or later than your fixed time, you will not be allowed into the MDR for dinner since all tables will have commenced serving.

With Select dining you can show up whenever you want when the MDR is open.

You seem to be confusing traditional vs. select dining options.

Traditional dining means you have a fixed time for dining and you must show up at that time........or up to 15-20 minutes late. If earlier or later than your fixed time, you will not be allowed into the MDR for dinner since all tables will have commenced serving.

With Select dining you can show up whenever you want when the MDR is open.

I am not confusing them, I am well aware of the difference. My point is while I was on Princess we had traditional dining assigned to us but we never went to the same dining room at the same time ever. We went to whichever dining room we felt like sometimes early sometimes late and said we would like to eat and they always said, "ok, how many?" They never enforced it by any means.

I know the difference I am just wondering if Celebrity is a stickler about what type of dining I am actually am assigned to. If I am assigned to traditional and I show up at anytime dining, are they really going to check my card to see?

Princess is starting to check your card on some cruises. Many more people are reporting being rejected at anytime dining.

Celebrity will check, because you will generally be asked your stateroom number when you show-up at select dining.

Walt: Lest you think I forgot... I believe it is 142 days...

Edited by neverbeenhere

They do ask your stateroom number at the entrance to Select dining. There are frequently situations where those for select wait a few minutes to enter the dining room. Maybe pagers. You have an assigned table in the main dining room. Going to select will probably mean someone else is inconvenienced.

Edited by cruisestitch