Verizon ports of call

Hi. We're on the escape this month and are wondering if there are some ports of call that are good for using our phone? Obviously, I can call my carrier but thought I'd ask if anyone has had good experiences with Verizon during the Escape itinerary?

Hi. We're on the escape this month and are wondering if there are some ports of call that are good for using our phone? Obviously, I can call my carrier but thought I'd ask if anyone has had good experiences with Verizon during the Escape itinerary?

Your phone will work well on the ship and in all the Escape ports. The ship will turn on its cell tower once you are away from shore. You will need to call your carrier to understand the cost of using your phone on the ship and in ports to figure out what you want to do.

Edited by BirdTravels

Just a suggestion when asking for advice or experiences...... since YOU are asking, it's nice if YOU provide the actual ports \ countries YOU are visiting instead of making people search for the "Escape itinerary"...... people may have been to those ports independently of the Escape and may be more apt to answer if you took the time to tell us...

That being said..... Verizon Wireless has a new international plan that may work for you. It actually utilizes your domestic plan while you travel internationally:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/travelpass-countries/

Just to add about use on the Escape herself:

Verizon Wireless stopped doing Cruise Ship plans and they are now "International Pay As You Go" plans.

$1.79/minute

$0.50/message sent

$0.05/message received

$0.25/MMS message sent

$0.25/MMS message received

$0.002 per KB or $2.05 per MB

Edited by esm54687

That being said..... Verizon Wireless has a new international plan that may work for you. It actually utilizes your domestic plan while you travel internationally:

Do you have to sign up for this ahead of time? If so, can I do it online or do I need to call them to do so?

You should "enroll" for the TravelPass (easily done on line) and once you do, it is active until you "unenroll".... there is NO charge unless you connect in country .... and it's for a 24 hour period starting from the time your phone connects to the foreign network (some have reported that you might receive a welcome text from Verizon Wireless that gives you a chance to sign up but can't I guarantee that)....

I go to Montreal quite a bit and it is very easy and convenient to not worry about roaming, etc

The "pay as you go" does not require enrollment and charges only occur when you use it.

Edited by esm54687

Just a suggestion when asking for advice or experiences...... since YOU are asking, it's nice if YOU provide the actual ports \ countries YOU are visiting instead of making people search for the "Escape itinerary"...... people may have been to those ports independently of the Escape and may be more apt to answer if you took the time to tell us...

Just to add about use on the Escape herself:

Verizon Wireless stopped doing Cruise Ship plans and they are now "International Pay As You Go" plans.

$1.79/minute

$0.50/message sent

$0.05/message received

$0.25/MMS message sent

$0.25/MMS message received

$0.002 per KB or $2.05 per MB

That's crazy expensive data. I'd seriously look for any data packages and use Google voice or something similar for voice and/or text (which is what I do with AT&T and get 120MB for $30). Used sparingly when in port, I didn't use the full data allotment on my last 7 day cruise. Maybe Verizon has something similar.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's crazy expensive data. I'd seriously look for any data packages and use Google voice or something similar for voice and/or text (which is what I do with AT&T and get 120MB for $30). Used sparingly when in port, I didn't use the full data allotment on my last 7 day cruise. Maybe Verizon has something similar.

The TravelPass option is actually not too expensive because it's only $10 for a 24 hour period and you are using your domestic plan data.

There are plans, similar to what you mentioned, if you are travelling to countries not listed as TravelPass countries.

Cruise ship plans are now all "pay as you go".

Just an FYI, St. Thomas is included in your regular data and text plan for no additional charge. Phone calls from there are $1.79/minute.

I'm not sure that is correct based on the Verizon Wireless Planning Tool:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/#/tripPlanner

For example, some people on iPhones will be using iMessage and that is data.... not simple text

Edited by esm54687

I'm not sure that is correct based on the Verizon Wireless Planning Tool:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/#/tripPlanner

For example, some people on iPhones will be using iMessage and that is data.... not simple text

It's correct. I've done it many, many times. On Verizon, USVI (same as Puerto Rico) is considered domestic for data and texting, just as if you were texting your girlfriend next door, so domestic rates apply (with the exception of voice calls.)

It doesn't matter if their iMessage is using data, because as long as they have a US domestic data plan, they are covered.

If there are any questions, the user can call to verify what I've said. No need for an international plan for St. Thomas, because it is not international. It's domestic. You don't even need to call before you travel or do anything. It's simply covered as part of your regular plan. I've done it countless times over the years while staying on the island or visiting by cruise, most recently a month ago.

Edited by LrgPizza

The TravelPass option is actually not too expensive because it's only $10 for a 24 hour period and you are using your domestic plan data.

There are plans, similar to what you mentioned, if you are travelling to countries not listed as TravelPass countries.

Cruise ship plans are now all "pay as you go".

Ahhh thanks for the clarification, that isn't horrible and I can see it being perfect for many scenarios.

We just pretend it is 100 years earlier (1916) and don't make any calls. We do send postcards. Amazing how long some take to get to their addresses.:D

It's correct. I've done it many, many times. On Verizon, USVI (same as Puerto Rico) is considered domestic for data and texting, just as if you were texting your girlfriend next door, so domestic rates apply (with the exception of voice calls.)

It doesn't matter if their iMessage is using data, because as long as they have a US domestic data plan, they are covered.

If there are any questions, the user can call to verify what I've said. No need for an international plan for St. Thomas, because it is not international. It's domestic. You don't even need to call before you travel or do anything. It's simply covered as part of your regular plan. I've done it countless times over the years while staying on the island or visiting by cruise, most recently a month ago.

Yup, you're correct....

I broke down and called Verizon Wireless and they said the Travel Planner Tool, that they insist we use, is wrong for the USVI

Yup, you're correct....

I broke down and called Verizon Wireless and they said the Travel Planner Tool, that they insist we use, is wrong for the USVI

I see that. I've never used that travel tool before. They need to get that fixed!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just wanted to add that Verizon Wireless just revamped their entire price and data structure..... not really specific to cruising but since we were talking about Verizon Wireless overall

http://www.verizonwireless.com/news/article/2016/06/verizon-transforms-your-wireless-experience.html

I saw that! I'm happy with my current plan, so I'm not going to change to a new one.