corkage fees

TheDentist

However, €15 corkage per bottle is 100% profit for them other than the provision of the glasses.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Other than:

- Provision of the glasses

- Picking-up of the dirty glasses

- Cleaning of the dirty glasses

- Repositioning of the clean glasses

- Cleaning materials (detergents, cloths) to clean the glasses

- Carpet replacement for the occasional spill/stain

- Carpet cleaning for the spills which don't stain

- Crew time spent pouring of contents consumed in a restaurant

- Forfeiture of on-board spend-potential, which is the key to their profitability.

Beyond the things above, it's just pure profit. :rolleyes:

Stephen

May I ask where this information came from?

We have received the email about the updated Beverage Policy, but that still clearly states that we can carry on wine, with the corkage fee of course.

Our TA told us today that it is a new ploicy. When did you get the e-mail?

Our TA told us today that it is a new ploicy. When did you get the e-mail?

Your TA is misinterpreting the new policy posted July 1 stating no soda or water can be brought aboard. There was no change to the wine policy.

The information I have seen so far suggests that the basic Viva Vino package offers up to 8 bottles at $22 + 18% = $26 each (to the nearest $) and I suspect these will be what I call 'quaffing wines' - OK but nothing special. In our supermarkets we can get such things for around £5 a bottle compared with the £20 equivalent we're talking here! A spot check on Vancouver prices shows we could probably purchase quaffing wine at around CAN$12-15 and then get stung for US$15 per bottle and still be under the NCL cost.

It may be that we end up doing a combination of Viva Vino and bring your own, depending on what we find. I have no idea of what easy-drinking wines cost in Alaskan cruise ports!

I see there have been tiers of Viva Vino packages, with higher quality wines, but do you get a bigger bang for your buck? Does purchasing a better quality wine off-ship and paying the blanket $15 corkage fee make it better value? :confused: I wish I didn't have to make such considerations.

I have noticed the Viva Vino wines and tier levels vary by ship. I have recently been on the Star and Jade and what was a top tier wine (Mouton Cadet Red Blend) on the Jade was a bottom tier selection on the Star. There were numerous examples like that I just happen to remember the former. I was able to find some decent choices and was able to save some money on the Star. Enjoy.

I have noticed the Viva Vino wines and tier levels vary by ship. I have recently been on the Star and Jade and what was a top tier wine (Mouton Cadet Red Blend) on the Jade was a bottom tier selection on the Star. There were numerous examples like that I just happen to remember the former. I was able to find some decent choices and was able to save some money on the Star. Enjoy.

Thanks for the insight. Now we know that we cannot bring wine aboard (for consumption) at the ports of call, I will probably look at buying a few in Vancouver, investigating Vino Collapso offers, and then seeing if we can bring more aboard at Seward for the return leg and get another Vino Collapso package.

Hi,

Back again! I was very gratified to receive a very prompt response to my most recent inquiry. I asked for confirmation that we, as passengers on a back-to-back cruise, would be able to bring aboard wine from Seward. Here is the response:

"As indicated below under NCL policy this is only applicable to port of calls only.

Not embark/debark port.

Enjoy your cruise."

This was with specific reference to me asking if the limitation on bringing wine aboard for personal consumption would apply to our round trip. I take the response to mean that Seward is considered an embarkation/debarkation port (as is Vancouver) for anyone doing a round trip. Therefore, we can stock up afresh for our return leg. :)

I hope that others doing the same 2-week round trip find this useful (for as long as FDR allows it of course!) ;)

Hi,

Back again! I was very gratified to receive a very prompt response to my most recent inquiry. I asked for confirmation that we, as passengers on a back-to-back cruise, would be able to bring aboard wine from Seward. Here is the response:

"As indicated below under NCL policy this is only applicable to port of calls only.

Not embark/debark port.

Enjoy your cruise."

This was with specific reference to me asking if the limitation on bringing wine aboard for personal consumption would apply to our round trip. I take the response to mean that Seward is considered an embarkation/debarkation port (as is Vancouver) for anyone doing a round trip. Therefore, we can stock up afresh for our return leg. :)

I hope that others doing the same 2-week round trip find this useful (for as long as FDR allows it of course!) ;)

Really confused by your posts. You've always been able to bring wine aboard and pay corkage fee upon arrival - as far as I could tell, at any port.

You just can't bring other alcohol - that will be conveniently put aside for you, for your convenience, until the end of the cruise.

Really confused by your posts. You've always been able to bring wine aboard and pay corkage fee upon arrival - as far as I could tell, at any port.

You just can't bring other alcohol - that will be conveniently put aside for you, for your convenience, until the end of the cruise.

That was my assumption, but the messages I got back from NCL indicate that ALL alcohol brought aboard at ports of call is stored away for the day we disembark. Only the embarkation ports allow the bringing onboard of wine/Champagne for personal consumption (when you pay the corkage).

I would dearly like you to be correct. But unless someone else gets a different, more palatable answer from NCL personnel, this is the basis upon which I will proceed. I found the NCL policy statements contradictory and lacking in clarity, so that is why I asked the question and quote the responses I got. I don't like 'em!

Mind you, I suppose we could buy some wine in Ketchikan, arrive at the gangplank with every intention of paying corkage and then, if told we have to have it stored, have it returned to us when we get to Seward and bring it back onboard under corkage rules because Seward is an embarkation port! :D

Edited by AquaMarineFerret

As we dig deeper into this realm of a mess and ambiguity, what about Ports and Icewines? These are classified as wines but usually have higher alcohol content than "normal" wines and come in funny shape bottles that will definitely confuse the heck out of the people at security who will probably insist that they are liquors. Any thought?

As we dig deeper into this realm of a mess and ambiguity, what about Ports and Icewines? These are classified as wines but usually have higher alcohol content than "normal" wines and come in funny shape bottles that will definitely confuse the heck out of the people at security who will probably insist that they are liquors. Any thought?

Ohhhh, you had to ask! :rolleyes: My gut tells me they would be classed as liquors or whatever, but not wine in NCL's eyes.

That was my assumption, but the messages I got back from NCL indicate that ALL alcohol brought aboard at ports of call is stored away for the day we disembark. Only the embarkation ports allow the bringing onboard of wine/Champagne for personal consumption (when you pay the corkage).

I would dearly like you to be correct. But unless someone else gets a different, more palatable answer from NCL personnel, this is the basis upon which I will proceed. I found the NCL policy statements contradictory and lacking in clarity, so that is why I asked the question and quote the responses I got. I don't like 'em!

Mind you, I suppose we could buy some wine in Ketchikan, arrive at the gangplank with every intention of paying corkage and then, if told we have to have it stored, have it returned to us when we get to Seward and bring it back onboard under corkage rules because Seward is an embarkation port! :D

This is what I was told on the phone as well. Wine can only be taken on board at embarkation, which in our case is Barcelona (this Sunday)

I personally wouldn't bother trying port as they'd probably just turn it away. It would be an interesting conversation though - I wonder if you'd be able to negotiate the higher €15 corkage worth them if you were desperate to get it on board?

You can bring on ice wine, we have brought iniskillen before. Carnival gave us a very hard time about port wine, but gave up and let us bring it.

May I ask where this information came from?

We have received the email about the updated Beverage Policy, but that still clearly states that we can carry on wine, with the corkage fee of course.

Our TA corrected himself. We are allowed to bring wine onboard. Sorry!!!

Good on the affirmation.

Have your NCL Guest KeyCard ready to swipe for payment/collecting the proper corkage fee on a per bottle basis, whatever the latest assessed fees are. Magnum sized wines are higher/doubled the 750 ml.

Our TA corrected himself. We are allowed to bring wine onboard. Sorry!!!

Are you sure you don't want to post that another few times, just to make sure?

😊