Information for making complaint re. Beverage Policy

The woman I talked to told me that NCL's prices for cases bottled water were competitive with other cruise lines, but would not tell me which ones. That is not my understanding, I said to her. I just asked her to register my complaint about the new policy and request that they lower the prices of bottled water.

The base price for a case (24) of 1-Liter bottles of water taken directly from their websites:

NCL - $59.95 (Aquafina)

Carnival - $60.00 (Carnival-brand)

Royal Caribbean - $82.00 (Evian)

Not sure what the cost is on any of the other cruise lines.

The base price for a case (24) of 1-Liter bottles of water taken directly from their websites:

NCL - $59.95 (Aquafina)

That looks pretty competitive to me :)

NCL - $59.95 (Aquafina)

I guess I should call NCL back and tell them I was wrong about them reducing the price, as it looks like they are very competitive with others.

With regard to the $3.99 water that Carnival sells, didn't someone say it was Carnival's brand water? Wondering where it comes from and what quality is the water?

This is what I see on Carnival's site as of today:

In-Room Beverages

Water

Purified Water - 12 Pack

Carnival_branded_water_12pack_zoom

Item # SP4

Purified Water - 12 Pack

$3.99

12-pk of Purified Bottled Water (16.9 fluid oz. bottle)

Please Note: Bottled water is non-refundable. You can now order for the same price on-board.

Quantity:

I guess I should call NCL back and tell them I was wrong about them reducing the price, as it looks like they are very competitive with others.

With regard to the $3.99 water that Carnival sells, didn't someone say it was Carnival's brand water? Wondering where it comes from and what quality is the water?

That is hard to say. It could be assumed that since Carnival sells Coke products that the Carnival-brand water is simply repackaged Dasani water.

OTOH, they also could have pallets of empty bottles delivered to their ships and they could have them filled and capped right out of a tap onboard. No real way to know for sure.

Although, since it is their brand, they must have a larger profit margin to work with than someone who is just selling a name brand product.

This is what I see on Carnival's site as of today:

In-Room Beverages

Water

Purified Water - 12 Pack

Item # SP4

Purified Water - 12 Pack

$3.99

12-pk of Purified Bottled Water (16.9 fluid oz. bottle)

Please Note: Bottled water is non-refundable. You can now order for the same price on-board.

Quantity:

Carnival-branded water?! Good grief :rolleyes:

Yeah, whatever that means. :)

I couldn't find the $60 price that seashark listed here.

Carnival doesn't list a price for 24 1-Liter bottles. They only offer single bottles or 8 packs in the 1-liter size.

Single bottles are $3.75 each...which comes to $90 per case. 8 packs are $20...which comes to $60 per case.

I gave them the benefit of the doubt and used the lower price.

Carnival doesn't list a price for 24 1-Liter bottles. They only offer single bottles or 8 packs in the 1-liter size.

Single bottles are $3.75 each...which comes to $90 per case. 8 packs are $20...which comes to $60 per case.

Who would pay $60 for a case when you could buy two 12 packs for $8? You could even get four 12 packs for only $16. That's a big difference from $60.

Who would pay $60 for a case when you could buy two 12 packs for $8? You could even get four 12 packs for only $16. That's a big difference from $60.

That is a question you'd have to ask Carnival...I'm not the one selling them.

NCL - $59.95 (Aquafina)

I'm confused. First, you said you got these prices from their websites, then you stated Carnival doesn't list a price for these??

Edited by jennmaybe

They are now going to jump back to NCL. LOL B

I'm confused. First, you said you got these prices from their websites, then you stated Carnival doesn't list a price for these??

Try not to be literal...it only compounds the confusion.

Obviously, we only want to do an apples-to-apples comparison. The same quantity and same size bottles.

NCL sells 1-Liter bottles by the case (quantity of 24) for $59.95.

Royal Caribbean sells 1-Liter bottles by the case for $82.00.

Carnival only lists two options for 1-Liter bottles. You can by single bottles for $3.75, which comes to $90 per case ($3.75 x 24 = $90.00)

OR

You can by an 8-pack of 1-Liter bottles for $20.00, which comes to $60 per case ($20.00 x 3 = $60.00).

So no...Carnival doesn't list a specific price for a case of 1-Liter bottles. However, anyone with an basic understanding of multiplication can easy extract the price Carnival would charge for the case based on the prices they list on their website.

As noted, I choose the $60 price as it was the less expensive option available from Carnival. You are certainly welcome to use the $90 price if you'd rather, of course.

Carnival is $3.99 for a 12 pack of 16.9 ounce bottles. They have an 8 pack of 50.72 ounce bottles for $20. The much better price is to do the 12 pack, which personally I prefer to carry the smaller bottles.

Though if you purchased 2 12 packs you would have 405.6 ounces of water for $7.98, while buying the 8 pack is 405.76 ounces of water for $20. So clearly the 2 packs of 12 is a much cheaper option and way less than the price per ounce offered by NCL.

Whoever they get the water from it is packaged in a sealed case when it is delivered to the cabin. I ordered the 12 pack on our cruise back in January as I take the bottles and add either propel or crystal light powdered mixes to them. We didn't notice anything wrong or odd about the taste.

Edited by mom2tcdx2

I just don't understand why the 1-liter size requirement is important (when you can just double the amount of the 1/2-liter size to reach equivalency)?

It's just as easy to do the math for a comparison by total liters.

Oh, right....it's only for 1-liter does it make NCL look generous with their pricing....;)

I just don't understand why the 1-liter size requirement is important (when you can just double the amount of the 1/2-liter size to reach equivalency)?

Oh, right....it's only for 1-liter does it make NCL look generous with their pricing....;)

I did that math last week...

Princess, Bottled water:

$2.45 / gallon

Norwegian, Bottled water:

$11.16 / gallon

ncl-water-price-sign.jpg

As was repeatedly said, we are looking at an apples-to-applies comparison. Plain and simple. The only way to fairly do that is to go by the commonly offered size.

If you just want "equivalents", then Carnival offers a 12 pack of 500ml bottles for $3.99. However, I can open the tap on NCL and get an "equivalent" amount of water for FREE.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9f/ArtofDeception.JPG

Made it harder to compute, or as commonly said, "to do the math" correctly - tilting the opinions, depending on which side :eek:

In practice, the 16.9 oz or 500 ml bottle sizing is - IMHO - easier to store, carry and hold - nor, would the larger 33.8 oz. or 1 liter bottle fit most bottle carrier, daypack & backpack holders designed for the urban travelers ... and without ripping the seams off the Timbuk2 or NorthFace bags. Exhibit A here -

cd3f7b64b6de7c2d3e2d948d9e06dd39.jpg

However, I should note that we got 20 oz. Aquafina bottled water onboard NCL's Breakaway as recently as in May - maybe 10 of them. Exhibit B here

e2b3c1ba6c0ecd2308cbd2067b18d3f3.jpg

To each his/her own. Now, if someone prefers Poland Springs (or Evian, etc.) bottled water, however, it's SOL at whatever price points - no choice.

Edited by mking8288

As was repeatedly said, we are looking at an apples-to-applies comparison. Plain and simple. The only way to fairly do that is to go by the commonly offered size.

If you just want "equivalents", then Carnival offers a 12 pack of 500ml bottles for $3.99. However, I can open the tap on NCL and get an "equivalent" amount of water for FREE.

Love sea shark. Puts things in such good perspective. Can't believe people just don't get it. LOL.

Hello, I have an update on the best place to make your complaint about the Beverage Policy. Executive at 1-800-456-7298 seemed to be the best place (after many calls) to 'register' your complaint. The woman that I spoke to assured me that my concern would be brought to the CEO (in the form of X number of people have complained about the Policy).

I also asked if I could make specific suggestions for improving it (assuming that the policy will not be rescinded). I suggested:

* install water bottle fill stations, so that we can use the 'tap' water without concern about contaminating the beverage dispensers

* lower the price of the water packages to something approximating what one might spend in any other commercial venue.

Strength in numbers! If we all call/write, they cannot ignore our voices.

Thanks for the info. I called and complimented for finally making a long needed change!