New Cruiser on Queen Victoria - silly questions?

I've been fantasising about a cruise for years and in September the dream finally comes true for our silver wedding anniversary. Husband had a rush of blood to the head and pushed the boat out and booked us into Queens Grill on Queen Victoria for a week between Piraeus and Venice.

So here come the questions!

1. We allowed Cunard to arrange our flights and as we live in Aberdeen its not a straight journey meaning we have to leave home at 3.30am for the 5.30 flight to Frankfurt and then on to Piraeus some hours later finally arriving in Piraeus at 5.30pm. I know that Cunard have booked this so they must be happy with it, but I can't help worrying that we will not get on to the ship until at least 7 by the time we've cleared customs and been transferred to the ship. Does anyone know how quick it is in transferring to the ship from there? Also by the time we get on board we will have been travelling for about 15 hours, so even with the relaxed embarkation night dress code Im going to be a sweaty mess trying ot enjoy dinner in the Grill! With the benefit of hindsight we would have suggested going a day ahead and staying the night out there. If we did that at what time would we be allowed on board? Tickets haven't been issued yet, although no doubt flight is booked. Does anyone think, on payment of whatever admin fee Lufthansa charge we might be able to ask Cunard to change the flights?

2. We were given as part of our booking deal $500 US each on board credit- as I understand it if we book excursions now we cant use onboard credit to pay for them. Just how busy do the trips get? Will there be nothing left if we wait to book onboard. Other than drinks, what else can we use our credit for on board?

3. Our final destination is Venice, arriving Friday morning but not leaving ship until Saturday so we have a whole day there. We've been there before so we don't want to join an organised trip-just enjoy wandering around ourselves. If you don't book onto an organised trip is there a long wait to get off the boat? In Venice are you actually berthed up?

4. Finally any tips/must dos for life on board in Queens Grill or in general on Victoria.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

I would definitely call Cunard and have them change the flights, unless you're not sailing until the next morning. But, if you're cruise departs on the same day that you're flying in, I just don't think it's a good idea to arrive the same day as your cruise departs. There are so many things that could happen with your flights that could delay you and cause you to miss the ship. You can't contact Lufthansa because the flights were booked by Cunard. Only Cunard can change the flights, probably for a change fee.

We were caught out by a cruise line booking us to Barcelona- a quick flip of 2.20 hrs normally, but they booked us to a hub, Amsterdam, and we had hours to wait, so it took us all day- and even worse coming back. If we'd known we'd have gone to the booking desk in Barcelona and taken a quick flight back with Easyjet...

We've flown direct to Piraeus from Manchester- about 3 1/2 hours-, but you'd have to get there the day before from Aberdeen. Perhaps Cunard is looking for the most inexpensive way, if you've booked fly/cruise? What's the timing for your return journey?

Thanks for the tips. I will call Cunard and see what can be arranged. I can't believe that they booked those times leaving it so tight- they could have come back to us with other options even if a supplement was required. Our return flight from Venice is at six pm!!