Anyone on the Jewel very recently?

We are sailing on July 24, and were wondering what the official call was on stopping at the ports in Turkey. We are scheduled to arrive in Kusadasi to see Ephesus- would be a real disappointment if it did not happen. Obviously, safety is our first concern, and respect any decision RCI makes, but would prefer to know beforehand. If the port was skipped, was there any substitution? Would really appreciate any information anyone may have. TIA!!

Hi, we are on your cruise and also hopimg we get to stop in Turkey. This week they did, so I would think we'll still stop there.

Hi JulesCroos,

I was the one who has the 9 year old son-are you still up for meeting on the 24th? We are now planning on embarking earlier- prob around 1:30 or so. We are in Cabin 1556, so please stop by if you would like! I SO hope we stop in Kusadasi- that is one of the highlights of the trip. I did email D to ask him; I can let you know what he says if you would like.

We are beyond excited for this trip!

Kathleen

We were on the Jewel on the 26th June sailing. We stopped in Kusadasi and other than some extra security there was nothing different from other ports. It was very hot so make sure you go prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I am the opposite to everyone-

I am really worried about Turkey and there is no way I would go to Ephesus. It very very open (few places to run) and most trips include St Mary's house only a few miles away- a massive shrine for Muslims run/funded mainly by the Christian churches (was great to see the co-operation when I went many years ago and the overlap between the religions was an amazing eye opener of me as a teenager).

However in the present climate I would not go near the place. But I am a worrier by nature (doesn't help that I am in a wheelchair so couldn't run if I needed to). Whats is in the news about Turkey is just the tip of the iceberg, we have Turkish friends and they tell us there are bombs weekly that we here nothing about. She has family near Izmir and they are now starting to worry that the unrest will hit them soon, so much so that they have suggested she doesn't bring her family (their grandchildren) out this summer.

I hope for everyone who really wants to see it we still stop in Turkey, but for me I am staying on the ship and will be really glad when everyone else is back on board safely at sail away.

Edited by fragilek

We were on the Jewel on the 26th June sailing. We stopped in Kusadasi and other than some extra security there was nothing different from other ports. It was very hot so make sure you go prepared

Is it dry heat like Arizona or humid like Florida?

I live in the UK but can half help as we go to Florida most Julys but I have never been to Arizona;)

I have been in Turkey 3 different times in mid July. I would say Turkey was much much hotter but probably less humid than Florida at the same time of year. Just to put you in the picture, visiting Ephesus was the only time in my life I though I was going to cook!! I am olive skinned with thick dark long curly hair(at least it was when I was younger lol) and I had to leave and go and buy a hat from a stall outside the site. I have been to similar sites in Mexico and Belize and nowhere did I feel like I was on fire like I did there. Last year we did a med cruise again in July and then stayed on in Italy for a week. Temps routinely reached 40+ for the whole 2 weeks. Italy was a little Humid but in all the stops unlike Florida in the summer there was very little cloud cover. Thus the sun is burning hot on your skin.

I am the opposite to everyone-

I am really worried about Turkey and there is no way I would go to Ephesus. It very very open (few places to run) and most trips include St Mary's house only a few miles away- a massive shrine for Muslims run/funded mainly by the Christian churches (was great to see the co-operation when I went many years ago and the overlap between the religions was an amazing eye opener of me as a teenager).

However in the present climate I would not go near the place. But I am a worrier by nature (doesn't help that I am in a wheelchair so couldn't run if I needed to). Whats is in the news about Turkey is just the tip of the iceberg, we have Turkish friends and they tell us there are bombs weekly that we here nothing about. She has family near Izmir and they are now starting to worry that the unrest will hit them soon, so much so that they have suggested she doesn't bring her family (their grandchildren) out this summer.

I hope for everyone who really wants to see it we still stop in Turkey, but for me I am staying on the ship and will be really glad when everyone else is back on board safely at sail away.

hopefully they will pull it now for the rest of season- I do not want to go even to stay on the ship after today's military take over attempt. It is all to unstable

Hi all,

We're just off the Jewel last Sunday 17th July and we did stop in Kusadasi, the day before the Coup in Turkey. We asked after it happened if they would continue to stop there and they said they would as the trouble is on the other side of the country. Hope that helps.

Thanks for that kirm, strange as the pulled that stop form the other RCL ships this week

I know, I couldn't believe what my ears were hearing!! Maybe they will have second thoughts after management have a chat about it????