Questions about Southampton and London

We just returned today from our 29nt sailing. We flew to Heathrow and took the Shared Shuttle from the airport to the hotel. I booked it through Viator and booked it at a really great price. Our flight arrived so we borrowed a phone and called the local number listed on our confirmation. They were great and the driver was there waiting for us. We were the only ones - vehicle was a brand new Audi. The Driver, Rocho, was beyond outstanding. We had booked the Hampton by Hilton Waterloo that was a real gem! Outstanding front desk staff, great complimentary breakfast, and the hotel turned out to be for us in walking distance to everything we wanted to see and do. We didn't even need to purchase an Oyster card or take the tube or bus. We walked to the Waterloo Station and took the 9:39am train to Southampton that I had booked several wks before - total 8£ for the two of us. Once we arrived in Southampton, shared a taxi with another couple - 3£ per couple. If we return to London again, we'll definitely book the Shared Shuttle and Hampton by Hilton Waterloo. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the report. Shared shuttles have a chequered history at Heathrow - no operator seems to have been able to make it work, so interesting to hear a good report (although if you were the only ones in it, that's an example of why the model hasn't worked before!)

Also good to get a report of a fairly new hotel, that doesn't get mentioned very often here, but obviously is extremely convenient for Waterloo.

• 6 months later...
Wow! This did help and I just got the shared shuttle service for $38! Sweet for door to door service :)

Shuttle worked perfectly!

Wellington sucks so bad we left, room was filthy. They did refund my money when I showed them all the photos I took and we walked 1 block to the Hilton and it was CHEAPER!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shuttle worked perfectly!

Wellington sucks so bad we left, room was filthy. They did refund my money when I showed them all the photos I took and we walked 1 block to the Hilton and it was CHEAPER!

Thanks for the report. I wish I had sounded a stronger note of caution about the Wellington, but I have no personal experience. We will know in the future! Very glad the Hampton saved the day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When we cruised from SH in 2015, we took a taxi from LHR to London and stayed overnight at the Marriott Grosvenor Square. There was lots to see there and we walked to Buckingham Palace. Because it was a Princess cruise, we took their bus transfer the next day from Victoria Coach Station to SH port. After the cruise, we walked from the ship to the train station (short walk) and bought tickets to Waterloo Station. From Waterloo it was another short walk to the Marriott County Hall, which is right by Big Ben and Parliament. The London Eye was next to the hotel. We stayed there overnight and the next day it was a taxi ride back to LHR to fly home. We were able to see most of the major London sights, ride the London Eye, and both hotels were great.

Sorry I didn't see your earlier post saying that you had booked the Wellington; I too would have suggested you look elsewhere. I've never stayed there (and wouldn't be tempted), but I've noticed the pub as I've passed by on the number 59 bus. The railway trestle immediately adjacent to the building, and the pedestrian bridge that's right over the hotel & essentially splits the place in two--not to mention the predictable noise from Waterloo Road and from late-night drinkers downstairs--would put me off ever considering a stay there. I'm glad you were able to get a room down the street at the Hampton by Hilton. (I've never stayed there either, but I know people who have, and they've only had positive things to say about that establishment.)

By the way, there are some hilarious one- and two-star reviews of the Wellington on Tripadvisor. And the responses by the manager are even funnier. Well worth a read if you need a laugh. ;p

For those who haven't seen the Wellington, here's a glimpse of the exterior via Google Maps streetview:

https://goo.gl/maps/4Hd9sDjT2Jy

Sorry I didn't see your earlier post saying that you had booked the Wellington; I too would have suggested you look elsewhere. I've never stayed there (and wouldn't be tempted), but I've noticed the pub as I've passed by on the number 59 bus. The railway trestle immediately adjacent to the building, and the pedestrian bridge that's right over the hotel & essentially splits the place in two--not to mention the predictable noise from Waterloo Road and from late-night drinkers downstairs--would put me off ever considering a stay there. I'm glad you were able to get a room down the street at the Hampton by Hilton. (I've never stayed there either, but I know people who have, and they've only had positive things to say about that establishment.)

By the way, there are some hilarious one- and two-star reviews of the Wellington on Tripadvisor. And the responses by the manager are even funnier. Well worth a read if you need a laugh. ]

So our room would have been the 3rd floor up (NO ELEVATORS) a staircase that winds up and is very narrow! Just under the doom on the left of your google map. And the small window was the bathroom and our window overlooks the tracks you see on the left (out of view).

Believe it or not we made it up with both luggage pieces. The room was very small and only enough room to walk around the bed. Bed and bath were clean but the rest[emoji37]

Carpet so dirty and not even vacuumed!

We did eat there and the food was very good [emoji4]

• 2 weeks later...

Would it be really crazy to take an overnight flight from BOS and arrive in London @ 6:30 am or so and then take the Express Bus to Southampton to for an NCL departure that same day?

Didn't you hear? John Bull is buying the drinks.

Would it be really crazy to take an overnight flight from BOS and arrive in London @ 6:30 am or so and then take the Express Bus to Southampton to for an NCL departure that same day?

Lots of folk do it.

Always the risk of a flight cancellation or diversion, but the risk is slim.

You have the choice of National Express bus or ship's transfer bus.

For Nat Express, allow at least 90 minutes for airport formalities. Then the bus stop is on the concourse at the front of terminal 4 and terminal 5, or a 10 minute walk to Heathrow airport central bus station from Terminals 1 or 2 or 3. Current airlines / terminals at http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/which-terminal. but do confirm with your airline. Your destination is Southampton coach station, from there to NCL's berth at City Cruise Terminal is a 15 / 20 minute walk or a 5-minute £5 taxi ride.

Ship's transfer coaches pick up from each terminal, there'll be a rep from NCL or their port agents at Arrivals in each terminal, usually the first coach starts trawling the terminals at about 8 - 8.30. When it's full it heads to Southampton and the next coach starts trawling the terminals.It takes you direct to the cruise terminal.

Nat Express will be waaaay cheaper, but plenty of folk prefer the security of being the cruise line's responsibility from the airport.

You need to pre-book either.

Globaliser reckons that by travelling down to Southampton on sailing day you miss out on John Bull buying the drinks. :eek:

Never mind, 'cos those who travel down the previous day are going to be disappointed too ;p

JB :)

Also keep in mind your luggage may not make it to Heathrow. This happened to us last fall. Our luggage didn't arrive until 2 days later. Fortunately we flew to London a few days early, staying at the Hampton Inn by Hilton at Waterloo (outstanding and great complimentary breakfast & walked everywhere), then walked the two blocks to the Waterloo Train station, taking the 9:30am train to Southampton (booked it several wks before - total £8 for the 2 of us), and then shared a taxi for the 5 min ride to the port. Hope this helps.

Has anyone had experience with an Uber pickup at a Waterloo hotel to Heathrow?

No me, but I can see no reason why it would be any different to any other private hire company. I would prefer to book a car in advance, but that's just me.