Vista 7/1/16 8 day Med Review - a Vista like no other

jimbo5544

At the end of the evening, we wandered (staggered :confused:) back to the hotel and crashed for the night. Included in our hotel stay was free breakfast and them we were to huddle up at 10:30 am for the ride over to the cruise port.

We wandered down around 7:30 and had coffee and then breakfast. We checked with the front desk to make sure everything was in order for checkout and then before we knew it the bus and van for the bags were there. It was time to see the Vista. The arrangement was the van would take our bags and we would see them in our rooms on the ship. There was a little leap of faith with this, but I wandered over and counted the bags to ensure everyone's was there (they were) and sure enough it worked like a charm.

This was the most trouble free pre cruise start we have ever done (and we are sticklers for planning and check and rechecks.

As we made our way up to our room, I was reminded we were just dropping things off and then heading back out. We really wanted to adjust to European time ASAP. The rooms were actually quite nice. Here are some pics from the room.

210yccm.jpg

What hotel is that is?

We arrived at the cruise terminal shortly before 11. I was a little surprised as we got off the bus that the taxi line (outgoing) was so long. I began to think that the debark was going much slower, which would impact the embarkation process as well. It turned that the debark process is very different than what we are accustomed to in the U.S., but I am getting way ahead of myself with that. As we entered the building (we had a good chunk of people who were platinum (and the wife and I are Diamond) so directing the rest (especially the newbies in a different direction was like sending kids off on the bus on the very first day of school).

The cruise terminal is pretty new and multi level, so after going through security we went up escalators to the third floor. The VIP room was spacious and soon enough we were all done (there was a minor problem with a couple and we had to wait while they went down stairs to redo (or get) their sign and sail cards.

A small footnote. As has been reported by others, once you go through security (when entering the terminal) there are no other true security checkpoints. On the second level (I think, I never saw them) there are shops where you can buy winy and spirits. There is nothing stopping anyone from carrying on both items onto the ship. This is kind of like San Juan....but looser.

After exiting the priority lounge I heard they were already on zone 7, the time was 11:13....not bad.....

A small footnote. As has been reported by others, once you go through security (when entering the terminal) there are no other true security checkpoints. On the second level (I think, I never saw them) there are shops where you can buy winy and spirits. There is nothing stopping anyone from carrying on both items onto the ship. This is kind of like San Juan....but looser.

After exiting the priority lounge I heard they were already on zone 7, the time was 11:13....not bad.....

Do you have any idea if the prices for the winy and spirits in the shops were high, average or hopefully even low. In other words were they the same as you might see in the shops on Las Ramblas.

Do you have any idea if the prices for the winy and spirits in the shops were high, average or hopefully even low. In other words were they the same as you might see in the shops on Las Ramblas.

I really don't know. There was someone in our group who went down and purchased two bottles of wine, but I never heard anything on the price. On tat note, I noticed a lot of people bringing back wine (including our group) in almost every port.

Boarding the Vista

I cannot think of a Carnival ship over the last twenty years that has had as much hype as the Vista. Carnival is known for an evolving classes of ships. Some critics say to the detriment of the cruise line. For a long period of time, Carnival ships had one designer and he definitely left his thumb print on the ships in their fleet.

I know some of the hype comes with the times. With all the social media it is far more easier (and cheaper) to do so much more. With the half dozen cruises that happened before we boarded, I think we all got a "flavor" of what the Vista is and what she was not. There were times over the past two years where I wondered what this ship was really all about. Was it a continuation of the Conquest and Dream class or something new. What we found when we boarded her was the answer was......yes, and that is a good thing. Enough of the soapbox and on to the cruise.

Edited by jimbo5544

The very first thing we noticed upon boarding is the atrium. 3 stories high instead of that vast open space. The next is those wonderful video tubes (or whatever the heck the call them, def eye catchers. See what I mean?

wcl46v.jpg

2quqj5g.jpg

2lw3jhf.jpg

They do catch your eye, on the evening of the 4th, they had rockets going off and exploding into fireworks..... again pretty cool. I do love to people watch as people enter a cruise ship and this was no exception. While the better half was taking care of some of the group, I sat at the atrium bar (an omen of things to come) had my first cocktail aboard the Vista and watched people boarding the ship.

We then went up to drop our bags off at our room. We are balcony people and we enjoy specialty rooms, I am not knocking anybody else and their preference, just telling about what we are. We have stayed in almost every balcony and suite rooms that Carnival offers. For this cruise, and as port intensive as it was, we decided on a regular balcony. Cabin number 9430 just aft of the hallway leading to aft elevators. I had strong desires for a Havana cabana room or an aft wrap but the better half talked me out of them. We have two sailings next year where we will be in these types of rooms.

Upon entering our room, it was like coming home. Much of the interior is exactly the same as other Carnival ships. We have some good friends in management positions at Carnival and waiting for us was some gifts for our first Vista sailing, certainly not required, but always nice. We dropped our stuff and headed back out to explore.

One of the things I neglected to mention was the enhanced way of boarding (and also getting on and off the ship at ports) that Carnival is using on the Vista. It is an iPad with a bar code reader that scans the bar code on the sign and sail card. It worked quite well, I assume they will roll this out across the fleet.

As the time approached for the muster drill (our station was the Reflections dining room) we moseyed down there a couple of minutes early. I was surprised to see them using the scanners to scan peoples cards as you entered. I did still see someone walking around with a clicker counting as well. The muster took about a half hour and then it was time for sail away.