Florence

longoverdueitaly

It's hard to get away from the tourists in Florence, especially when you'll be there (i.e., at the height of the tourist season).

I suggest going to Oltrarno (which literally means 'the other side of the Arno'). Read about some of the highlights of this area here:http://www.nytimes.com/fodors/top/features/travel/destinations/europe/italy/florence/fdrs_feat_63_4.html?n=Top%2FFeatures%2FTravel%2FDestinations%2FEurope%2FItaly%2FFlorence

The area is also known for its small, artisan workshops.

Another possibility is grabbing a bus to Fiesole, a beautiful escape from the crowds of Florence but only 20 minutes away. Read more here:

https://www.visitflorence.com/fiesole/

Edited by cruisemom42

We will be in Florence in 2 weeks. We have transportation into Florence (not sure where we are dropped off). If we want to see the less touristy Florence - suggestions? We have chosen to not do museums, etc this trip.

Am trying to understand your "less touristy" request. Florence (called Firenze in Italian) is a truly wonderful city with amazing architecture, a perfectly placed river, wonderful restaurants, great gelato, and yes, quite a few great museums. We have spent many days (and nights) in the city and often do not visit museums. We are often content to stroll around the city, enjoy the outdoor market, have a nice lunch, etc. Florence also happens to be one of the most popular tourist cities in the world...so yes, you will be sharing the city with many other tourists :). If you want to escape the hoards, you can certainly walk away from the popular central part of town. Try walking west along the Arno River. If you walk about a mile, you will have escaped much of the hoards (and also the most interesting part of the city) You will eventually come to a nice park (you could even look for our favorite hotel called the David). Many places in Europe are popular with tourists for good reason...and Florence is one of the best :).

Hank

I should rephrase. We are looking to stroll the markets and just enjoy the sights and sounds. We only have a little more than 1/2 of a day. As much as I would love to see the museums, just enjoying Florence is what we are looking to do. I'm looking for suggestions of areas where we can do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just use the Piazza della Signoria as a basic center and walk away in any direction. In that piazza you can also admire the copy of David (not as good as the real David....but you do get the idea). Make sure to stroll over to the Ponte Vecchio to look at the views along the river. Also make sure to walk over the Piazza della Ciompi, so you can soak up the atmosphere of that well known outdoor market. The reason that many folks return to Florence, again and again, is that there is so much to see and enjoy.

If you are dropped off by the train station, you will be close to the central market, just north of Basilica San Lorenzo. This is where a lot of the street markets are, although still touristy. As pointed out above, the south side of the river is a good place to find less touristy restaurants and shops. The piazza south of Santo Spirito is often recommended. Gelateria La Carraia is right on the south side of the river at the Ponte Alla Carraia bridge. Great (and cheap) gellato shop. That's two bridges downstream from the Ponte Vecchio (touristy, but worth crossing) It may be in the heart of the tourist district, but it would be a crime to be in Florence for 1/2 a day and not to at least walk by the Duomo. It is one of the most important buildings in human history. The main street from there down to Piazza Signoria is very busy with shops, tourists, and locals. One the east side of Piazza Rupublica is a department store (La Rinascente Firenze), which is like most other big city department stores, but it has a roof-top cafe with a killer view.

Head for the Mercato Centrale. An excellent food hall! I love to wander there every time I visit Florence. So many beautiful sights and yummy smells. You can snag a good lunch there, too. Walk back through the San Lorenzo Market - the tourist leather/scarves/trinkets spot. Yeah, it's crowded and touristy, but it's fun to just walk and watch.