Double Docking

flynnsky

I have had french balcony, real veranda, and window view rooms on riverboats. All are okay. The first time I looked out my window (french balcony) and saw people a few inches away from me, I was shocked. Rafting happens on river cruises. Even if the top deck is closed, there is some outside space forward or aft on most boats. For the most privacy, close your curtains, don't leave a window open ( bugs can and do fly in ), lock those sliding doors, and relax. You are on a great vacation in any cabin. Aquarium rooms provide the most privacy when rafting. They are also a good value. When considering paying extra money for a veranda, decide what it is really worth for you. First time river cruisers tend to book verandas or french balconies. Experienced cruisers often book lower level cabins and save money. Different cabins are available to please your preferences. On an ocean cruise, I usually book a veranda...and use it. On a riverboat, I seldom go out on the veranda even when it isn't rafted to another boat.

I always book a French balcony because it doesn't steal space from the cabin [note: I don't sail on Viking longships, which steals space from all French balcony cabins and gives it to the balcony cabins]. If I have a nice view while docked, that's a bonus; if we're rafted, I have drapes. But I always enjoy the full-width window whenever we are cruising, and it's worth it to me for that.