Liquid refreshment

Clancampbell

Can someone please tell me if ncl provide what we call squash in the UK and what I think is called cordial in the US?

Are there drinks available in the gym?

Finally for now and forgive my ignorance but when posters talk about family members and refer to them as DD, DH etc, what do the abbreviations mean?

Thanks all.

I'm in the UK too and I've heard one person mention cordial was available on the ship but when I tried to clarify then nobody would answer. Hopefully you get better luck with an answer. ☺️

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Don't know about the 1st two, but

D = Darling or Dear

S, D, H, W = Son, Daughter, Husband, Wife

Or Dumb or Damned. LOL.

OP, I believe cordials are simply types of liqueurs, correct? I think some are available, but not being a cordial drinker, I don't have direct experience to confirm. Hopefully someone can let you know. I divorced my DH or I'd ask him. See, there's a case where D doesn't mean darling or dear. ;)

Can someone please tell me if ncl provide what we call squash in the UK and what I think is called cordial in the US?

Are there drinks available in the gym?

Finally for now and forgive my ignorance but when posters talk about family members and refer to them as DD, DH etc, what do the abbreviations mean?

Thanks all.

Based on what I read about squash over the weekend being available at Wimbledon, I can tell you that in multiple NCL cruises I have never seen it offered.

There are no drinks available in the gym but you can always bring your water bottle.

We found some drinks that were squash like in the buffet on Star last year. They were already made up in the drink machines and were available in the afternoon, although possibly earlier as well. I think there was a peach flavour one and a strawberry one (sorry, can't remember for sure!) Can't answer for the bars as we didn't ask/ look.

"Squash" to our UK cousins is a non-carbonated fruit flavored drink. For the US, think Hawaiian Punch or similar, though not quite. They will have some fruit "drinks" in the buffet, and lemonade (not quite like lemon squash, though).

"Squash" to our UK cousins is a non-carbonated fruit flavored drink. For the US, think Hawaiian Punch or similar, though not quite. They will have some fruit "drinks" in the buffet, and lemonade (not quite like lemon squash, though).

So, it's a non-alcoholic drink? If so, then cordial would definitely not be an apt description. :p

So, it's a non-alcoholic drink? If so, then cordial would definitely not be an apt description. :p

Nope, no alcohol. It is made from a "cordial" or thick syrup.

Remember, the US and the UK are two countries separated by a common language.

I lived in Scotland for a couple years, about half a lifetime ago, so I learned a bit of the lingo.

Nope, no alcohol. It is made from a "cordial" or thick syrup.

Remember, the US and the UK are two countries separated by a common language.

I lived in Scotland for a couple years, about half a lifetime ago, so I learned a bit of the lingo.

Yes, I have friends in both Scotland and England. I very much enjoy some of the odd things they say that are just normal for them. :D

Oh dear, never thought for a minute a simple question could cause so much confusion ;)

What I am referring to is a fruit flavour liquid which you add water to to dilute it. DW (I'm learning!) Wants to know as she is a regular gym freak but doesn't like to drink water without some flavour in it

I will stick to my native tongue in future and apologies to anyone from across the pond if I offended :rolleyes:

By the way, we have lime cordial over here which is non alcoholic and is just like squash.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Oh dear, never thought for a minute a simple question could cause so much confusion ;)

What I am referring to is a fruit flavour liquid which you add water to to dilute it. DW (I'm learning!) Wants to know as she is a regular gym freak but doesn't like to drink water without some flavour in it

I will stick to my native tongue in future and apologies to anyone from across the pond if I offended :rolleyes:

By the way, we have lime cordial over here which is non alcoholic and is just like squash.

If it's lime cordial, it has to be Rose's. 😀

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

She'll be fine then... in the afternoon the buffet offers two flavoured waters, one is Strawberry Kiwi and the other is Orange Mango. They also have Lemonade.

These are only available starting at lunch. At breakfast they are replaced with juice from concentrate. So if she goes to the gym in the morning, have her use a refillable bottle and get some in the afternoon or evening, and use ice to keep it chilled overnight if desired.

She'll be fine then... in the afternoon the buffet offers two flavoured waters, one is Strawberry Kiwi and the other is Orange Mango. They also have Lemonade.

These are only available starting at lunch. At breakfast they are replaced with juice from concentrate. So if she goes to the gym in the morning, have her use a refillable bottle and get some in the afternoon or evening, and use ice to keep it chilled overnight if desired.

Yes, she will probably go in the morning while I am lying in my pit so thanks for the tip

From my perspective, you've resolved some confusion. I've always wondered what that "squash" stuff people in BBC shows and books I read were talking about. I was pretty sure it wasn't juice from a zucchini or "courgette," but now I know! Thanks.

From my perspective, you've resolved some confusion. I've always wondered what that "squash" stuff people in BBC shows and books I read were talking about. I was pretty sure it wasn't juice from a zucchini or "courgette," but now I know! Thanks.

Haha, isn't it amazing how much you learn on CC and it never fails to amaze me how similar we are yet so very different at the same time. Glad I have put one of life's mysteries to bed for you :)

Thank you for asking... I learned something new and interesting today!!

The closest to squash we have is fruit punch which is available at any of the bars on beverage package. yes, Roses iime and grenadine are both cordials, fruit and sugar reduced down to a thick syrup. If you wish a carbonated "squash just ask for juices and grenadine from the bar with a splash of soda water.

There are flavored waters in the spa area if you get that pass, it is right by the gym. I never saw them anywhere else. They are all over RCCL ships...

The gym *may* have a drink machine, with water and sports drinks available for purchase. Also, in the afternoons, by the pool, they often have light snacks (sandwiches, hamburgers, etc.) and a water dispenser with something floating in it to flavor the water (on the Pearl in April, I believe it was cucumber).