Heading to Western Caribbean. Should I be concerned about Zika Virus?

Carleeb12

Of course you should be. If you get it and then get bitten by a mosquito and then the mosquito bites a pregnant woman you will be a vector for transmission. Highly unlikely but not impossible. Use repellent and you should be fine.

Unless you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant in the near future, Zika isn't something you really have to worry about.

This is exactly what I just read today in my AARP magazine. I'm 69 so no worries for me thank goodness. I really am concerned though for the younger girls in my family. I just went to my cousin's daughter's baby shower on Sunday. It could be a real big problem for her if she got the virus. It's not a good thing at all for women who are pregnant or hoping to become pregnant. I hope they can develop a vaccine for this horrible virus...like immediately!

My husband and I will have 3 small kids with us.

Zika, dengue, and chikungunya are all prevalent in many Caribbean locales. If you are doing a walk in a forest for ziplining, rappeling, cave tubing etc you should take precautions.

These include using DEET and picaridin based insect repellants, using long sleeves and long pants or even avoiding isles where these are more prevelant.

Don't limit the discussion to Zika, as dengue and chikungunya are also life changing diseases.

Let Google be your friend. I searched and found that two seniors citizens have died from complications from Zika..one in Puerto Rico and one in Utah. The same article also stated that Zika can cause Guillain-Barré syndrome, a condition in which the body's immune system attacks the nerves.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/08/health/utah-zika-death/

Enjoy your cruise. We are sailing next month!

Edited by Badfinger

I believe this is a question for your physician, not a bunch of (non) experts on an anonymous message board! :eek:

I'm way beyond child-bearing years, but since mosquitoes love me, I always use a DEET-heavy spray. Not only do I not want to contract anything myself, I don't want to be a carrier.