Charleston hotel & things to do while in town

My husband, 12 year old daughter and I will be leaving on a cruise in October from Charleston. We will fly into town the day before the cruise around noon. We would like to avoid renting a car, so we are looking for a hotel that can shuttle us from the airport and to the port. Any suggestions? My husband would like to spend $150 or less on the hotel. Is that possible? Also, we would like to see a little of the city while we are in town. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me!

My husband, 12 year old daughter and I will be leaving on a cruise in October from Charleston. We will fly into town the day before the cruise around noon. We would like to avoid renting a car, so we are looking for a hotel that can shuttle us from the airport and to the port. Any suggestions? My husband would like to spend $150 or less on the hotel. Is that possible? Also, we would like to see a little of the city while we are in town. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give me!

You have better chances of getting a lower hotel rate if you stay in Mt. Pleasant (questionable as to whether you can find $150), West Ashley area, or N. Charleston. That said, what you save by not staying in downtown Charleston, you'll spend on uber rides etc. going back and forth to downtown which is where a lot of the tourist stuff is, and where most people want to spend their time when coming in a day or two early.

As for hotel shuttles, some have them, some don't. But uber is everywhere in the Charleston area, so keep that in mind if you end up finding hotels with shuttles to be pricier.

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted on another thread, but I am also cruising in October (10/2) and found the Best Western for $115 for park & cruise! Its right across the bridge from Charleston. Shuttle is $15

Your problems are a)you want under $150 and this will require you to stay out of the downtown area (where a lot of the touristy stuff is walkable). b) you are only coming in a day early and at noon on top of that. by the time you get to a hotel it will be early to mid afternoon then will need transportation to attractions. Thus not leaving much time to play tourist. You need to first figure out what you want to see and then plan from there. You are most likely going to bust your $150 dollar budget after you add in hotel and transportation costa I'm sorry to tell you. But please come and enjoy our city we do have lots of things to do and good food to eat.

I live in the Charleston area and everyone is right. You won't get a hotel downtown for that price and you'll end up paying for transportation to get you to and from downtown tourist area. So save your self the time and stay downtown.

Tourist things to do:

Carriage ride

Museum tours

Walk the Historic Market, Rainbow Row, The Battery (most carriage tours will take you by these places) -- must shop in the Market though

I recommend Fleet Landing for good seafood. Avoid Hyman's-- it's a tourist trap and not the best seafood. :)

WE had booked Mt Pleasant for about $189, but by the time we rented a car($89) and got there, afternoon would be turning into dusk. We cancelled everything and went with the Hyatt Place Historic District (priceline $200), will take an UBER from airport (heard about $20+) and then will take uber or taxi to port. Is the Hyatt a nice one? (good reviews). What is a good restaurant near the hotel? Where would we take the carriage rides from? Thanks for all your info.

• 5 months later...
WE had booked Mt Pleasant for about $189, but by the time we rented a car($89) and got there, afternoon would be turning into dusk. We cancelled everything and went with the Hyatt Place Historic District (priceline $200), will take an UBER from airport (heard about $20+) and then will take uber or taxi to port. Is the Hyatt a nice one? (good reviews). What is a good restaurant near the hotel? Where would we take the carriage rides from? Thanks for all your info.

Staying here in Oct

• 3 months later...
We have changed and decided to stay at the Town and Country Inn. Has anyone stayed here?

I haven't stayed there but am familiar with it. It's owned by the Palassis family, the same people who own and operate the Market Pavilion on Market at East Bay. They have a very good reputation. The Town & Country remodels and keeps updated every few years. Just had one not too long ago. They have a fairly decent restaurant that locals who work in West Ashley eat at for lunch. I'd check out TripAdvisor if you want those types of opinions of people who have stayed there.

The property is a straight shot to downtown on US 17 (Savannah Highway)

We have changed and decided to stay at the Town and Country Inn. Has anyone stayed here?

Just be aware that you will be in a very mundane area that is not in downtown Charleston, i.e. not in the historic or tourist part of Charleston. So if you are arriving early and wanting to sightsee, you'll be paying for transportation to go downtown and back. If you're just looking to arrive late, check in and sleep, and then go to the port it's fine as a place to simply lay your head for the night. :)