On HAL's Koningsdam now, Marina next...

sldispatcher

Having been able to do a TA sailing on Marina and then Riviera when they were relatively new or brand new, I have decided to try Marina again this January out of Miami.

Onboard the Koningsdam now, doing a live report for almost 2 weeks, now, I am struck by some of the subtle changes and not so subtle changes HAL has made to their brand with this ship.

Technology wise in the cabin, they have a home run with USB plugs and TV apps. The shower is greatly improved with huge space devoted to that with a shortcoming on the rest of the space in the bathroom.

There are other changes as well.

What strikes me is that overall, the difference between HAL and Oceania continues to be stark. HAL is racing to be a Celebrity equal. There is nothing wrong with that. However, being exposed through some travel mates' rooms, HAL is in trouble if they think they can win back and defectors to Oceania with the suites onboard Koningsdam.

It just isn't going to happen. Although there are some bright spots, the décor is just not at the same level of plushness nor the comfort of the beds.

I am looking forward to the January sailing, and what I believe will be a post dry dock cruise, to compare how the Marina is doing now relative to a few years ago on the maiden voyage.

The question to the "gallery" is beyond the obvious question of cost, what makes you choose one of the mass market premiums over an Oceania offering?

I choose the larger ships because there is more going on both day and night. That said I do not like lines and crowd, looking for a seat. My next trip is on Crystal Serenity. Lots to do and less people than Rivera however I do not like the dinning room. Nothing is perfect😂

If I had my druthers, I'd cruise exclusively on Oceania; however, since we cruise a couple of times a year, with other vacations thrown in, we will usually do a luxury and a mass market each year as a cost-saving measure.

In our case it is on the Princess strictly for itineraries (and our Elite benefits help).

They did circumnavigation of Australia long before Oceania did (didn't want to wait to see IF O would do it during my lifetime :)). Likewise we are doing a 20+ days entirely Japan cruise on Princess - something that O does not (and may never) do. They do Vancouver to Beijing that O does not do - etc, etc.

We pay much less, expect much less and get much less - hence, no disappointment :D

Edited by Paulchili

In our case it is on the Princess strictly for itineraries (and our Elite benefits help).

They did circumnavigation of Australia long before Oceania did (didn't want to wait to see IF O would do it during my lifetime :)). Likewise we are doing a 20+ days entirely Japan cruise on Princess - something that O does not (and may never) do. They do Vancouver to Beijing that O does not do - etc, etc.

We pay much less, expect much less and get much less - hence, no disappointment :D

Paul,

Not to hijack this thread but with all your experience cruising I have a question for you:

I'm wanting to cruise November of '17 to celebrate a milestone anniversary. Having only sailed with Oceania, I feel spoiled. The Oceania November itineraries don't appeal to me. Any suggestion on what cruise line I should look at to be not Totally disappointed?[emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm leaving next week for my 5th HAL cruise, my last cruise was on the Riviera. Yes, indeed...we absolutely loved O and said we'd not go back to HAL. But this is an itinerary I wanted, I signed up as a solo...and I just can't justify the cost to sail O solo. Again, as Paul said...I'll pay less, expect less, and will not be disappointed. I expect it will be great!

Paul,

Not to hijack this thread but with all your experience cruising I have a question for you:

I'm wanting to cruise November of '17 to celebrate a milestone anniversary. Having only sailed with Oceania, I feel spoiled. The Oceania November itineraries don't appeal to me. Any suggestion on what cruise line I should look at to be not Totally disappointed?[emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Azamara is very much like Oceania's R ships. A few things better - a few things worse, but in the same category, IMO

If you want to "move up" - try Seabourn or Silversea. They are more formal (especially Silversea) but service is excellent on both, cabins larger and food comparable (but not quite as good as Oceania, IMO). They also cost more.

Best thing to do is to try other lines for yourself if the itinerary suits you and see what YOU think :D

Good luck!

Azamara is very much like Oceania's R ships. A few things better - a few things worse, but in the same category, IMO

If you want to "move up" - try Seabourn or Silversea. They are more formal (especially Silversea) but service is excellent on both, cabins larger and food comparable (but not quite as good as Oceania, IMO). They also cost more.

Best thing to do is to try other lines for yourself if the itinerary suits you and see what YOU think :D

Good luck!

I agree with Paul. But in recent years both Seabourn and Silversea (especially Seabourn) have become much less formal than they used to be so I wouldn't let that be a determining factor. jmo.