Luggage

Snappy001

We are travelling with RC on our first cruise in 3 weeks and have a few questions regards luggage.

Are you restricted to one piece of hand luggage to carry on board ?

Would you carry on suits/tux in a cover or pack them ?

I'm just thinking of carrying the least possible should our stateroom not be available for for a few hours ?

Thanks in advance

There's no limit that would concern you on how much hand luggage you can take on-board, just limits on the size of each piece (must fit through an airport-type security scanner) - and how many hands you were born with ;)

But yes, if you board tolerably early your cabin will not be available for some time, even to stash your hand luggage - so you'll be stuck with it.

Around 1.30 to 2pm is probably as accurate a forecast as you'll get for access to your cabin.

Despite that, if you choose to use a suit-carrier it's best to take that aboard as hand-luggage - Southampton dockers aren't known for their gentle touch.:rolleyes:

Sailing from Southampton, you're not likely to have urgent need of swim-gear & shorts & such, so no need to put that in your hand-luggage.

If you have a long journey to Southampton and a late boarding, mebbe have a change of (casual) clothes for dinner in case your checked luggage doesn't reach your cabin in time. Nobody dresses smartly for dinner on the first evening.

Don't forget you can take aboard two bottles of wine per cabin (will save you around £20). RCI like you to take them aboard as hand luggage - I don't think that's a strict ruling, but from your own point of view it's probably better than risking a bottle breaking in your checked luggage - see aforementioned comment about Southampton's dockers.

And of course keep on your person / in your hand luggage your passports, cruise documentation, credit cards, and any medications.

But you're right, the less you take aboard the less you have to lug around until your cabin is available.

Travel wrinkles can be dropped-out if you hang clothes in your cabin's shower. There's a thin cord you can pull from one side of the shower cabinet to its hook on the other side. Be sure to point the jet away from your clothes :D, then turn the shower on to hottest & close the curtain. Give it 10 to 20 minutes & the wrinkles will be gone.

Have a great first cruise

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Our suitcase has a built-in garment bag section. I put each item in a dry-cleaning bag (or, you can layer tissue paper between items) and pack them there. Pack last...hang first...and they're fine!

ALWAYS keep your valuables with you...don't check them, ever! Lock your checked bags...always!

We are travelling with RC on our first cruise in 3 weeks and have a few questions regards luggage.

I'm just thinking of carrying the least possible should our stateroom not be available for for a few hours ?

Thanks in advance

1: you can carry on as much as you want as long as you are okay with lugging it around with you until the cabins are available at 1 pm. keep in mind that elevators and the buffet get VERY crowded as everyone ELSE will also have carry ons.

2: ours is always in the garment bag, which gets checked.

3: our carry on is a large Camelback for him with all our electronics( and the wine) and for me I carry a straw oversized purse which doubles as my shopping bag in port.

Carry 2 changes of unders in a backpack plus a sweat and send the rest. Steward can get clothes pressed at laundry. Staterooms are usually avail after 2PM. They are very efficient so your stuff should be there. It is a hassle to drag any luggage because the 1st thing you do is eat lunch w/2000 other people.

Edited by WupperAV

Thanks in advance

No limit to carry on, other than it needs to go through the scanner and you need to lug it around till your cabin is ready.

I pack my suit and send it to be pressed (or cleaned) as soon as I can, usually costs less than at home. Otherwise if you hang it in the bathroom the steam does a good job.

Here is a video on the way I used to pack my DH's Tux, Suit. No wrinkles

Now if folding a formal gown a certain way would make a difference. Now I am looking for fabrics that don't wrinkle when you breathe on them :rolleyes:

Will have to try this on our upcoming cruise. On our most recent cruise, I left the two I packed in a bag and rolled them. It worked, but took up so much space. This looks much more compact.