Carnival wifi and Pokemon Go app...

mibarron

DW asked our niece if Pokémon Go had Ms. PacMan in it:D:D

I can understand the technical and connection issues with the game being played on board ship. But in port could be a different story. Those who play Ingress might want to reach out and download a list of ports frequented by US travelers where Ingress portals are located as these might serve as a gateway for use in Pokémon Go. Also it would be helpful to include wifi hotspots in those ports.

Personally, I wouldn't play, but as long as those playing show some respect and act in a reasonable behavior around others, I don't really mind if they play on board ship, assuming they'll ever be able to do so. I think the biggest thing for parents and players is to be mindful of any excess interest usage charges, whether to connect to a local wifi hotspot or roaming charges via your phone carrier. And to be mindful of the privacy issues, something most youngsters and many adults often ignore to their eventual chagrin.

2 adults in California, fell off a cliff playing this game. If it's ever brought to a ship, a requirement must be that all players wear their life vests while playing. It will serve 2 purposes, overboard and situational awareness for those not playing to avoid idiots staring at their phones and not their surroundings. Have fun and be safe.

Should this rule also apply to people who are drunk?

Asking for a friend.

The men who fell off the cliff in CA, deliberately crossed over into a "no trespassing" area on the cliff's edge. This was not an accidental wandering of the edge of something.

No one playing pokemon is going to fall overboard because they are not paying attention. If they fall overboard, it's the same reason anyone else accidentally falls overboard; they're doing something they shouldn't be doing.

The men who fell off the cliff in CA, deliberately crossed over into a "no trespassing" area on the cliff's edge. This was not an accidental wandering of the edge of something.

No one playing pokemon is going to fall overboard because they are not paying attention. If they fall overboard, it's the same reason anyone else accidentally falls overboard; they're doing something they shouldn't be doing.

Also, four bazillion people are playing the game and haters are still harping on the cliff story from last week.

Never mind all the kids and adults actually outdoors getting sun and exercise. More important to be grouchy about the distraction of "screens" while sipping a cocktail and arguing with people online. You know, on a screen. =D

Also, four bazillion people are playing the game and haters are still harping on the cliff story from last week.

Never mind all the kids and adults actually outdoors getting sun and exercise. More important to be grouchy about the distraction of "screens" while sipping a cocktail and arguing with people online. You know, on a screen. =D

Excellent response.

Thanks so much!! I couldn't find a thread through my phone!

I'm not concerned with what people think when it comes to how we vacation. If they want to waste their time watching us have fun, go for it!

As for Pokemon go. It's a great app that makes people go outside and walk around versus staying indoors in front of the TV or game consoles. My kids are outside for hours walking around the neighborhood with their friends. If they want to see if they can catch some while in the ship and at port, I'm all for it. It keeps them active and that's what matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The internet will run you about .50 - .75 cents a minute depending upon what package you get. Just something to plan for in the event that your kids are online playing with the app alot. Once you run out of minutes in a plan I believe it is $.75 a minute

The internet will run you about .50 - .75 cents a minute depending upon what package you get. Just something to plan for in the event that your kids are online playing with the app alot. Once you run out of minutes in a plan I believe it is $.75 a minute

Thanks for the info! They know they will be limited, just wasn't sure how the packages were and if it were even possible to play occasionally when they aren't doing other things. Looks like they will have more luck playing in the ports.

Should this rule also apply to people who are drunk?

^^THIS^^ Is so true! On our last cruise we were bumped into by more drunk adults (not college kids but 30's and up). Didn't bother me, I just laughed! Let's leave the kids alone...

P.S. I bury my face in a book, on my phone! Lol!

^^THIS^^ Is so true! On our last cruise we were bumped into by more drunk adults (not college kids but 30's and up). Didn't bother me, I just laughed! Let's leave the kids alone...

P.S. I bury my face in a book, on my phone! Lol!

(FWIW, the reason these threads irritate me so much is that I *write* books, and I love writing them on my cruises. I can always find a quiet nook with a view of the water to write, but I'm sure some of these same posters are clutching their pearls and judging me when they see me with my laptop open. The hypocrisy irks me--technology is bad, but the number one pastime on cruises, getting hammered, is totally fine.)

Hmmmm..We were told on our last cruise this past May, which was our first since they introduced the "new" internet/social media packages, you can no longer get per minutes plans or pay by the minute. That sure seemed to be the case at least on that cruise. Do some ships still offer per minute access?

Hmmmm..We were told on our last cruise this past May, which was our first since they introduced the "new" internet/social media packages, you can no longer get per minutes plans or pay by the minute. That sure seemed to be the case at least on that cruise. Do some ships still offer per minute access?

Yes, the same original by minute internet packages still exist on ships that have not had wifi/internet upgraded yet. So will also have the slow speeds on tipoff it. Sailing Legend next week and I read it is still original plan & type_ however just got an updated from CC member Montello that Legend has been updated!

Sunshine listed as updated.

Carnival wifi general info link:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service-and-hub-app

Summary which ships offer wifi types link:http://cruiseradio.net/carnivals-internet-plans-by-ship/

Edited by Buffettfan 225
New info

Yes, the same original by minute internet packages still exist on ships that have not had wifi/internet upgraded yet. So will also have the slow speeds on tipoff it. Sailing Legend next week and I read it is still original plan & type_ however just got an updated from CC member Montello that Legend has been updated!

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service-and-hub-app

Summary which ships offer wifi types link:http://cruiseradio.net/carnivals-internet-plans-by-ship/

Thanks...soon as I hit enter to my reply, I thought that may be the case, and, we were on Sunshine in May. Just to drone on more, I was not pleased I was not able to pay per minute for internet access. The least I could get was $16 for 24 hours....not needed for just checking a few emails and other minor things.

FWIW, the reason these threads irritate me so much is that I *write* books, and I love writing them on my cruises. I can always find a quiet nook with a view of the water to write, but I'm sure some of these same posters are clutching their pearls and judging me when they see me with my laptop open. The hypocrisy irks me--technology is bad, but the number one pastime on cruises, getting hammered, is totally fine.

Perfect!!

Thanks...soon as I hit enter to my reply, I thought that may be the case, and, we were on Sunshine in May. Just to drone on more, I was not pleased I was not able to pay per minute for internet access. The least I could get was $16 for 24 hours....not needed for just checking a few emails and other minor things.

I agree- such as checking airline schedule, boarding passes etc. Glad some airlines offer auto checkin, or at a port that has wifi avail.

You forgot to mention - the sign up fee... Is that still there?

Or am I recalling incorrect fact?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree- such as checking airline schedule, boarding passes etc. Glad some airlines offer auto checkin, or at a port that has wifi avail.

You forgot to mention - the sign up fee... Is that still there?

Or am I recalling incorrect fact?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, no sign up fee at least, and the social media plan allow access to a bunch of airline sites for checking-in and all....If I recall correctly, connected with the Social Media package I was able to access Southwest's website and check-in and all like that.

Just to say, we did make use of the Social Media package throughtout the cruise...every couple of days we'd jump on...tease family and friends with awesome island/beach/sunrise/set pics etc....But I wanted/semi-needed to check on a couple of emails, but found free wifi in ports for that, so all-in-all not a big deal no per minute access...but would prefer the option.

(FWIW, the reason these threads irritate me so much is that I *write* books, and I love writing them on my cruises. I can always find a quiet nook with a view of the water to write, but I'm sure some of these same posters are clutching their pearls and judging me when they see me with my laptop open. The hypocrisy irks me--technology is bad, but the number one pastime on cruises, getting hammered, is totally fine.)

There is only so much activity you can take before you need downtime. Each person has their own downtime - be it reading, writing, programming, drawing, knitting, etc. With the exception of the knitting, most of that can be done digitally now.

Some still have the computer=facebook junkie attitude. Don't judge me for my likes and I won't outwardly judge you for being a 58 yo guy who thought the cornrow braids in port would be a good idea :)

Thank you for that! I didn't realize not all ships had the new plans. Thank goodness Elation has it. My son has to finish up a college course next week on board and I planned on getting him the top level plan to ensure access.

I'm on the Pride right now and there's no Pokémon to be found on the water. But even though my kids are addicted on land (I'm a little addicted myself), there's so much going on on the ship that they forgot about the game.

Thanks for the Live report. My kids are CONVINCED we will find rare ones at sea!

I don't know if it's the actual technology that's the problem or the fact that many of us who cruise didn't grow up with a smart phone attached to our palm. It's not as critical to many of us as it might be to someone younger. I know that I would perceive it differently seeing someone typing on a laptop as opposed to someone flipping through Facebook at the exclusion to all else around them.

There was a woman in front of me in the Lido line last cruise. She was balancing all sorts of food dishes and silverware finally dropping her lunch food plate on the floor ... BUT ... that smart phone never wavered from her right hand.

Not trying to put anyone down for their technology but perhaps trying to explain the difference in perception.