55+ Crusing - Hope others are mad at us

dazey

NCteacherloves, thank you for your kind response.

I agree some cruises have more older guests than others and  do understand that some cruises have less activities for "the younger crowd" but it seems like that is determined by the cruise line.  I know the same activities are the same on the cruise for the season so it is not the age group on the cruise but the cruise line.  Also a lot depends on what time of the year you sail(summer, school vacations) determines what age groups are aboard.  

Celebrity is known for being more sedate but the food and ship are wonderful. We sailed on the new Edge and it seemed the younger guests were having lots of fun as we did.

We continue to cruise and enjoy ourselves. I do understand why you felt in the minority and both of us will just have to find our own "fun". 

PS My daughter went to NCCharlotte and met her husband there.  Nice area.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently did a cruise after both SO and I crossed 55, didn't feel too different from the first time we cruise almost 20 years ago.   There is biological age, then there is your mental and physical age that can be running on a different clock, sometimes faster and sometimes slower, and sometimes in reverse 😁

I rarely met a spring chicken that didn't wish their clock was running faster or hadn't jumped a few turns, but as we get to the end, the question is only what is your mental and physical age, though in the end you can't cheat father time.

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

My husband and I are senior citizens and not particularly religious at all. Once on a Mediterranean cruise we hit it off with two young couples who asked us to join them (and share expenses) on their independent tour of Athens. Unbeknownst to us, as part of the tour, they had  prearranged for the guide to take us to Mars Hill (near the Acropolis) where St Paul once preached a sermon. One of the couples brought out a bible from their backpack and read the pertinent page out-loud while they all stood with bowed heads. At first we were stunned but then realized that this was a very special way of celebrating an important religious site that we were totally unaware existed. It remains one of our best memories of Athens. Just goes to show that age and religious differences can give new insights.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The absolute best dining we ever had on a cruise was when we (in our mid forties at the time) were seated at a table with four other couples, ranging from 10 to 40 years older and representing a wide variety of backgrounds. We were assigned late dining (there was no ATD/YTD back then) and some of the couples had originally intended to request early dining for the remainder of the cruise, but we had such a good time the first night we all stayed together all week. Our second- best experience was when we were in our late 50's and were seated with 4 couples 25-30 years old. Friendly and fun-loving people exist at all ages and backgrounds, and compatibility is far more about interests and attitude than age. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

One of our favorites was having the night's performers seated at our table.  The family with the three children never showed, so we were treated to the singing group for the three nights they were on board.  I think we're going to try the unlimited special dining for the next cruise.  We'll miss out on the interesting people (in my experience, Princess travelers have been the most fascinating), but we are looking forward to steaks for him and sushi for me.