QG off menu

helpthejuggler

I am wondering what others have asked for . Do you ask for a repeat of something you enjoyed another time?

If something takes my fancy from the Verandah menu would that be unreasonable to ask for?

Our first experience of QG is in a couple of weeks on Victoria, our only food request is that we don't eat seafood.

Will we find an over emphasis on seafood and need to order off menu?

As a vegetarian, I have only asked for off menu dishes when there has been nothing I "fancy"

Personally, I have asked for many a simply stirfry, curry, pasta etc, never anthing complicated. I have however requested various desserts Crepes Suzettes, Bananas Foster, Strawberries Romanoff and so on.

And I always make my request the day before, even for the dished flambeed tableside.

The Verandah Restaurant has it's own Kitchen and preparation area, to request something from this menu and have it prepared and sent up from Deck 2 to Deck 11, I would say is more than unreasonable. ;)

The Verandah Restaurant has it's own Kitchen and preparation area, to request something from this menu and have it prepared and sent up from Deck 2 to Deck 11, I would say is more than unreasonable. ;)

In the Queens Grill nothing is too much for them.

andhow

I ask to have my dessert lit on fire at night : )

Crepes Suzette

Peach Flambe

Strawberries Romanoff

Bananas Foster

Cherries Jubilee

I don't order other things off menu, because they have such a large a la carte selection. The only exception is that I do order wild mushroom risotto once per voyage because it is one of my favorite dishes and I never make it at home!

All of the deserts that people of mentioned are good. I'd also recommenced asking for baked Alaska. It's on the daily menu at some point in a 14 day cruise but is a modest affair served with cherries. Ask for it separately and what you get is a sight to behold.

I'm not sure who will be Maire d' when you aboard but if it's Sandro have a chat with him and see what he can fix up. He's a smashing chap, only too pleased to tickle your taste buds and cooks up a rather good Italian menu himself. Pity you don't like seafood, but I'm sure there are other options.

Enjoy!

That is only the Q.M.2 on the Q.E & the Q.V the Veranda Galley is part of the Britannia Galley to get the QG Chefs to create there version of a Veranda Dish I believe is acceptable Edited by zider

That is only the Q.M.2 on the Q.E & the Q.V the Veranda Galley is part of the Britannia Galley to get the QG Chefs to create there version of a Veranda Dish I believe is acceptable

Im pretty sure you'll find that the verandah galley is seperate to the Brittania galley, I seem to remember being in it several times over the last few years. Its just to the right as you enter the main galley from the bar in the Verandah.

There is little cross over from the main galley, all food is prepared separately in their own area.

If you want something from the Verandah menu surely you would just dine there?

R

Edited by roscoe39

That is only the Q.M.2 on the Q.E & the Q.V the Veranda Galley is part of the Britannia Galley to get the QG Chefs to create there version of a Veranda Dish I believe is acceptable

I don't think that was quite the gist of the OPs original question ( a QG chef to prepare something/their version from the Verandah menu)

The OP asked "if something from the Verandah menu takes my fancy, would it be unreasonable to ask for it".

On the vista class ships the Verandah galley and preparation are in a completely separate area to the Britannia preparation areas.

I don't think that was quite the gist of the OPs original question ( a QG chef to prepare something/their version from the Verandah menu)

The OP asked "if something from the Verandah menu takes my fancy, would it be unreasonable to ask for it".

On the vista class ships the Verandah galley and preparation are in a completely separate area to the Britannia preparation areas.

I was originally thinking of the Verandah version, but the QG version would be good too.

My thought as a QG 1st timer was,....they say if it is onboard it can be ordered with notice.

My question was following this to its logical conclusion to test the claim.

We're still amateurs, having only travelled in QG about 15 times.

However, I'm please to state, that you can indeed have anything you want (within reason).

Some dishes, like Peking Duck require at least 3 days notice. Most others can be arranged at 24 hrs notice.

You will get the next day's menus in advance and you'll probably find that there are enough dishes on offer every night to tempt you, without going off menu. We just have a few favourites that we always order.

If the staff are looking after you, remember to look after them, as I'm sure you will.

Happy QG cruising.

Stewart

I'm sure that if I were ever in Queens Grill, and tempted to order something "off menu" I'd choose a favourite dish, or something I'd always wanted to eat, but had never found on any restaurant menu, rather than just "test" them.

If they said "sorry, no" what then? A scene? "But you say ANYthing...". Or just quiet acceptance that you've won (or lost in fact!).

I'd rather they created something superb in their own galley, rather than say, how innocently, "I want something from a different galley to the one you work in". Chefs can be very proud of their craft, and temperamental craftsmen and craftswomen.

It may be untrue... but there is the oft-retold story of the Texan who ordered "Rattlesnake Stew" (just to test the galley's claim to do anything) in the 1st Class Restaurant back in the days of the Queen Mary and the Queen Elizabeth.

The chefs pondered as they most certainly didn't have a rattlesnake onboard.

The next night he was served eel with either, depending on the version of the tale, a child's rattle alongside, or a steward stood at the table shaking a maraca...

As I said, it may be true, or it may not...

Best wishes and happy sailings to all :)

Edited by pepperrn

I am wondering what others have asked for . Do you ask for a repeat of something you enjoyed another time?

If something takes my fancy from the Verandah menu would that be unreasonable to ask for?

Our first experience of QG is in a couple of weeks on Victoria, our only food request is that we don't eat seafood.

Will we find an over emphasis on seafood and need to order off menu?

We asked for Sweetbreads & Foe Gras. We had no problem getting it. Generally its best to ask for an off menu item the day before your dinner. I asked for Baked Stuffed Lobster(Maine) & it was served the next evening. It was excellent, by the way.