Back from Carnival Magic July 9th, Never Again!

CalifGirl67

I had basically the same experience as you on my first and only carnival cruise. Although no bed bug worries.

I was really surprised at how dirty bathrooms were and how little sanitizing was going on. In fact when I could find a sanitizer machine it was usually empty.

The staff was not friendly and often rude. I spent a good 2 hours searching for toilet paper one day and getting attitude about it.

Service was slooooooowww and without a smile 90% of the time.

The service was not what I'd come to expect of cruise service and the food well, I actually lost weight on that cruise. Haha

I was excited for the "funship" experience but was disappointed. Only the ports were worth the expense of the trip and I found myself just ready for it to be over instead of dreading the end of the cruise.

Edited to add

Those who swear by Carnival seem to think bad experiences are made up by bad customers. That's sad because I'm a cool chick who is pretty easy to please. I laughed my carnival cruise experience off and had fun anyway because I can make the best of a situation.

I guess my standards and expectations are higher than some others but that doesn't make me wrong or difficult to please. Just means I have received better elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First off sort you did not enjoy your cruise. I have never been On a Carnival ship without smiles and agreeable attention from the staff. With a history like that, it makes start to think how in the world a cruise can be so bad. B saying it is not true just that it makes wonder. Empty hand sanitizers are a horrific thing to experience. Your last paragraph says volumes on explaining that. As I said, happy cruising.

Sent from my iPhone

First off sort you did not enjoy your cruise. I have never been On a Carnival ship without smiles and agreeable attention from the staff. With a history like that, it makes start to think how in the world a cruise can be so bad. B saying it is not true just that it makes wonder. Empty hand sanitizers are a horrific thing to experience. Your last paragraph says volumes on explaining that. As I said, happy cruising.

Sent from my iPhone

Why are you so offended by my experience? Why are you taking it personal and trying to turn it on me? Are you Mr Carnival?

I read your reply a few times. I think I figured out what you are trying to communicate.

First off, I had low expectations. It was a small ship, it was a cheap fare. Those low expectations, clean bathroom, decent food and hand sanitizer (so I don't get jimbo's cold) weren't even met.

That was surprising to me.

I'm not a platinum member, sailing all my life, my **** doesn't stink, girl. Nor am I ignorant to the fact that you can't always hit a home run. I had fun because I was not home working and dreaming about vacation but did it compare to my previous cruises? Not at all.

I've been on only 3 cruises. 2 of them exceeded my wildest dreams and one was no where near the previous two. I'm going on 3 more in the next year. One is another small ship , as I would like to compare the small ship experiences. I'd thought one might be a large carnival ship but I see others having similar experiences to mine on larger ships.

I'm entitled to share that I had a similar experience with the original poster that I was replying to.

You're entitled to be bothered by my opinion, I'm bothered that you think it's not possible for a perfectly happy, and grateful cruiser to be disappointed in the experience carnival gave me.

You didn't say happy cruising before your last line Jimbob, which speaks volumes on explaining you [emoji6]

I'm sorry you had that experience OP.

I'd been considering trying Carnival again but every time a carnival fan girl gets bent out of shape about the opinions of first time carnival cruisers, I feel that either they have nothing to compare it to or there is a lot of defensiveness for a reason.

Carry on all- I'm insignificant [emoji177]

Why are you so offended by my experience? Why are you taking it personal and trying to turn it on me? Are you Mr Carnival?

I read your reply a few times. I think I figured out what you are trying to communicate.

First off, I had low expectations. It was a small ship, it was a cheap fare. Those low expectations, clean bathroom, decent food and hand sanitizer (so I don't get jimbo's cold) weren't even met.

That was surprising to me.

I'm not a platinum member, sailing all my life, my **** doesn't stink, girl. Nor am I ignorant to the fact that you can't always hit a home run. I had fun because I was not home working and dreaming about vacation but did it compare to my previous cruises? Not at all.

I've been on only 3 cruises. 2 of them exceeded my wildest dreams and one was no where near the previous two. I'm going on 3 more in the next year. One is another small ship , as I would like to compare the small ship experiences. I'd thought one might be a large carnival ship but I see others having similar experiences to mine on larger ships.

I'm entitled to share that I had a similar experience with the original poster that I was replying to.

You're entitled to be bothered by my opinion, I'm bothered that you think it's not possible for a perfectly happy, and grateful cruiser to be disappointed in the experience carnival gave me.

You didn't say happy cruising before your last line Jimbob, which speaks volumes on explaining you [emoji6]

I'm sorry you had that experience OP.

I'd been considering trying Carnival again but every time a carnival fan girl gets bent out of shape about the opinions of first time carnival cruisers, I feel that either they have nothing to compare it to or there is a lot of defensiveness for a reason.

Carry on all- I'm insignificant [emoji177]

I am not offended by your post at all. Did I say you could not share? I was trying to give a point of reference from my experience. For the record, my status (other to getting invited to special events) has nothing to do with how I am treated on a Carnival cruise. I think I said happy cruising on both ends...and I meant it. The discourse that we have here, both positive and not is not only informative but I actually enjoy it (not getting people mad). If Carnival does not meet your standards, there a lot of fish in the sea.

I am not offended by your post at all. Did I say you could not share? I was trying to give a point of reference from my experience. For the record, my status (other to getting invited to special events) has nothing to do with how I am treated on a Carnival cruise. I think I said happy cruising on both ends...and I meant it. The discourse that we have here, both positive and not is not only informative but I actually enjoy it (not getting people mad). If Carnival does not meet your standards, there a lot of fish in the sea.

Edited for misinterpretation [emoji4]

I wasn't commenting on your particular status though, rather I meant that often people who have been on a large number of cruises feel very particular about things and specific lines (as they should, they have learned what they do and don't like) but I was pointing out that I do not fall into that category as I am only 25 days at sea and am still discovering who I am as a cruiser and what things I like, dislike.

It's too bad Carnival fell short, I had been planning on playing the field.

Edited by MelissaMcC

No, I very much understood your under handed remarks and that's ok, everyone communicates in their own way.

You did come across as bothered and offended by my response though, as evidenced by the fact that you quoted and replied to my post, when I was clearly replying to the OP.

I wasn't commenting on your particular status though, rather I meant that often people who have been on a large number of cruises feel very particular about things and specific lines (as they should, they have learned what they do and don't like) but I was pointing out that I do not fall into that category as I am only 25 days at sea and am still discovering who I am as a cruiser and what things I like, dislike.

Jimbo, perhaps I misunderstood your comments. Now I read it multiple times but I just read it again and think you meant to say you were sorry I didn't enjoy my cruise and I read it as though you were telling me I didn't!

Typos and text can change an entire exchange and I apologize sincerely for taking it as a negative response if that was not your intention!

We normally cruise on Royal but decided to try Carnival, needless to say we will NEVER go on Carnival again!

To start the cruise off our shuttle couldn't enter the port other then driving around in circles because there was a security beach which was said to be a Bomb threat at first and even the bomb squad came out. After we could finally get into the terminal everyone was told to wait outside then we were guided up to another area were we had to wait for a couple hours until they secured the area, after this ordeal we were then told it wasn't a bomb but a can of something that was spraying in a suit case. Better safe then sorry. Once this was over then we could go inside and get ready to board the ship. In my opinion Port Canaveral is the best port there is.

So once on board we went to our cabin and put our other bag in and headed to eat at the buffet as we waited to leave the port.

1st issue Staff and lack of knowing anything when asked and lack of friendliness. This ship had the worst staff I have ever encountered on a cruise. They never smiled,spoke or new anything if you asked them a question. Some were even rude. The only staff member we encountered that was very friendly was our room guy, he was awesome all the time. Spoke to us by name and had a friendly attitude.

2nd issue Pools, For a ship that hold 4,500 people and only have 2 swimming pools is ridiculous and what makes it worse is that only 1 pool was ever open at a time. I was only able to enjoy the pool 1 day when in a port because it was not crowded.

3rd Issue FOOD, the food at breakfast was the best and made to order omelettes were awesome, best meal of the day everyday. Guy's Burger Joint,Blue Iguana & BBQ place also had great food as well as the 24 hr pizza. We ate all these places several times and they were really good.We also ate at the steak house on wed night for our 20th anniv and it was very good. Now for the buffet, the food was lousy in my opinion with the exception of the desserts and the sandwich bar that had pastrami and corned beef, in fact that is what I hate most the time after trying the other food 1st. I also enjoyed the ice cream machine daily. The buffet was not opened long enough if you wanted it and then only one side would be open at times and you would have to walk a long distance just to get food if you wanted it. Terrible buffet all around except breakfast.

4th issue, I believe Carnival Magic has bed bugs because every night when we went to bed and got under the sheets I was always really itchy like something was crawling on me but I couldn't see anything when we looked. On the last night I actually got bit by something and ended up sleeping on top of the covers so the ship is not very clean.

We stayed on the 11th deck in a spa room and had access to the spa which was great, very relaxing and enjoyable. We stayed in 11242 and it was quite noisy at times, kids running up and down the hallway,noise from deck above etc. We were still able to sleep, just a lot of noise.Room was nothing fancy, pretty plain and basic.

Entertainment was just ok, nothing special. We did enjoy a few dive in movies and Dr. E was great. The comedy shows were also very funny and we enjoyed them as well. Party's on deck were also ok, I overheard several elderly folks complaining about the type and sound of the music and about it being way to loud. The entertainment staff were friendly.

Sadly there was a medical emergency with a passenger suffering a heart attack and dying(At least thats what we were told by several crew members) which caused the itenerary to be changed and the Honduras port being skipped and went to key west fl instead. The ship was diverted near miami to get the ill patient medical care. My prayers are with the family.

So we went to Key West Fl, Belize, Cozumel & Costa Maya, We had already been to Cozumel but still enjoyed it as well as the other ports. Really liked Key West and would like to go back there. The ports were the best part of the cruise, other then that the cruise was pretty boring. No adult area other then if you want to nap in a hammock or chair and use a jacuzzi, that is Magic's "adult" area.

And to top it all off, my hubby got sick on thursday afternoon and was up all night puking his gut out, not sure if it was from the food or what caused this. I know he wasn't sea sick so the food may of been the issue. Not sure because i was fine the entire time.

After being on 3 Royal ships, there is NO comparison with Carnival. I would never go on another carnival ship nor would I ever recommend one to anyone I know. You really do get what you pay for and Royal is in a class all its own. My brother is a Carnival cruiser and he bragged to me about how good they are but now I know for myself, not worth bragging about.Anyway, this is my small review, Happy cruising!

Ive been on both and trust me RC guests are very snoody. I love the magiv and while i know nothing is ever 100 perfect...you cant blame carnival if there was a security issue. Thata no better than the people complaing about the hurricane that cause canceld cruises. The buffet on RC is not better. Its a way to drive you to the other venues.

You shouldn't have went into this cruise comparing apples to oranges. RC have their thing and CCL havr theirs.

I enjoyed the magic and i am lookimg forward to my B2B on her next year!

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

On a 7 day cruise and no one on staff was ever friendly to you? I think at some point you need to look in the mirror and ask why.

and the bugs in your bed, that you allowed bite you night after night... really?

I think it would be hard if her noise is in the air...lol

Knew from the first line "Normally cruise on Royal" what this post was gonna be about. Sounds like they were looking for issues. Love Carnival, NEVER had a bad experience!! Two words - Bye Felicia!!

I approve this message[emoji106]

Thank you elliair! Wow, the comments on my post are so rude! SO I guess because I didn't like my carnival cruise I am lying about my experience? How rude of you folks that "Love" carnival to act this way because my experience was terrible! We each have our own opinions about a cruise and your rude comments just shows the type of person(s) you are.

I said our room steward was the nicest but the other crew were not very friendly as I stated. Yes I do believe they had bed bugs in my room because I itched every night and then ended up with a bite that wasn't there before going to bed. In my opinion the food sucked with the exception of those places I did eat that was decent food.

Again, too each there own but I will stick with Royal!

No not lying....perhaps a bit over exaggerated

to be fair... if you had bedbugs, there would have been multiple bites in a cluster or a line but not 'a bite' . I have never heard of bedbugs where they itched someone but did not bite and finally a few days later there was 1 bite

this in no way sounds like bedbugs. Sounds more like a mosquito bite

I agree. My sister got bed bugs recently and the bites were multiple all over her body.

Edited for misinterpretation [emoji4]

There are others out there, and more than enough for all to enjoy. We do enjoy all cruising, but are particular to Carnival. I hope you enjoy the journey.

Jimbo, perhaps I misunderstood your comments. Now I read it multiple times but I just read it again and think you meant to say you were sorry I didn't enjoy my cruise and I read it as though you were telling me I didn't!

Typos and text can change an entire exchange and I apologize sincerely for taking it as a negative response if that was not your intention!

No worries, that happens to me a fair amount of time. It is really not the intent, although I have been in my share of discussions....

Edited by jimbo5544

Ive been on both and trust me RC guests are very snoody. I love the magiv and while i know nothing is ever 100 perfect...you cant blame carnival if there was a security issue. Thata no better than the people complaing about the hurricane that cause canceld cruises. The buffet on RC is not better. Its a way to drive you to the other venues.

You shouldn't have went into this cruise comparing apples to oranges. RC have their thing and CCL havr theirs.

I enjoyed the magic and i am lookimg forward to my B2B on her next year!

Hi, I'm curious- as a relatively new cruiser, why should one cruise line not be compared to another? Is there not industry standards and general basic expectations in place? I'm asking Sincerely.

Should you expect different levels of cleanliness , friendliness , customer service and quality of food depending on the line?

If so which have low levels of the above. I would like to avoid them.

How are they completely different fruits? Aren't they all apples (cruises) but differ based on Apple type? (Basic/luxury)

What is Royals thing?

What is Carnivals thing?

I would like to frequent a line that has safety, cleanliness, food quality, staff friendliness and overall value for your dollar as their thing.

Which apple would that be?

Blah blah blah blah BYE!

10 cruises with 3 more booked, Carnival has the best food and service.....It's obvious from your first line that you were out to have a bad experience so you could tell your brother "told ya so your ship sucks, I'm better than you" lol

Hi, I'm curious- as a relatively new cruiser, why should one cruise line not be compared to another? Is there not industry standards and general basic expectations in place? I'm asking Sincerely.

Should you expect different levels of cleanliness , friendliness , customer service and quality of food depending on the line?

How are they completely different fruits? Aren't they all apples (cruises) but differ based on Apple type? (Basic/luxury)

What is Royals thing?

What is Carnivals thing?

I would like to frequent a line that has safety, cleanliness, food quality, staff friendliness and overall value for your dollar as their thing.

I don't think there's really one answer to your question - and the only way you are going to know is to try them on your own and make your own decisions.

Customer service means different things to different people. The OP noticed that on Carnival, in general, waiters do not carry your tray for you at the buffet to a table. On other lines we have been on, like Disney, they generally do. Is that important to you? If it is, maybe Carnival isn't the best choice.

As far as safety and cleanliness - I think most lines are pretty consistent on that.

Value for the dollar is again subjective. For us, Carnival provides that. For others, Carnival is the "Walmart" of cruise lines and doesn't provide the level of service that they want on their vacation.

I think that is why there are so many lines with so many different styles. Keep cruising and find the one that works for you!

Funny when I was on the Magic, our cabin was cleaned twice a day, we got served drinks whenever we wanted, while there were no staff to carry our trays in the lido at breakfast, I was offered coffee & our tables were cleared promptly.

I didn't have any bite marks on me when I left...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't think there's really one answer to your question - and the only way you are going to know is to try them on your own and make your own decisions.

Customer service means different things to different people. The OP noticed that on Carnival, in general, waiters do not carry your tray for you at the buffet to a table. On other lines we have been on, like Disney, they generally do. Is that important to you? If it is, maybe Carnival isn't the best choice.

As far as safety and cleanliness - I think most lines are pretty consistent on that.

Value for the dollar is again subjective. For us, Carnival provides that. For others, Carnival is the "Walmart" of cruise lines and doesn't provide the level of service that they want on their vacation.

I think that is why there are so many lines with so many different styles. Keep cruising and find the one that works for you!

I have to admit, if someone offered to carry my tray, I would say no! I would not see that as good service per se because it wouldn't benefit me...

I have seen Carnival employees help someone who was alone and had small children with a tray, and that makes sense.

But...Why would it be appropriate for someone to carry a buffet tray for me? That seems uncomfortable...

We do get what we consider good service. Everything we ask for and then some, always with a smile! But there are off weeks and different people may ask for different things and be disappointed. The tray thing is a good example.

I have cruised on 4 different lines, and I find differences on those lines, but all lines have been clean and have a good crew. I chose to rotate and enjoy what each line has to offer. I usually chose because of the ports and just because I like certain things about each line. To me one is not better then the other, only minor differences. So enjoy whatever line you want, if you find one you don't like don't go again, variety is the spice of life.

This is an old post but the OP did slam the Magic. I was on the Magic probably three times prior to this post, felt the crew was very good as well as the food. Once in a while you did run into a crew member that did not seem to know what their job entailed but never one that was rude. I agree with other posters, in that what the OP describes does not appear to be bed bugs. I would venture to guess a possibility is an allergic reaction, I know there are some laundry detergents I must watch out for.

What is Royals thing?

What is Carnivals thing?

I think value for your dollar is the most subjective. For us, that doesn't necessarily mean the cheapest price. We are a family of five with kids that range in age from 6-14. We would rank Carnival first for value followed by Disney (by far the most expensive) then RCCL last. That is because for us, our first priority is ports of call. The new RCCL ships do fewer ports because they are so big and I don't care for the ports they do go to. Carnival still has the best port variety.

Our second priority is accomodations. At Carnival's price point, it is pretty easy to get two rooms. On RCCL the family rooms for five are so expensive that we still end up with two rooms, only it is significantly more money. Or my kids have to share a pull-out bed. This does not go over well at all. Other lines have the pullman bed which we much prefer. This may be a little thing but as any parent can tell you fights over bed-hogging all night long can make for a miserable family.

Our least important consideration is ship features (ice rinks, bunmper cars, surf simluators, trapeze shows, etc). RCCL specializes in this a lot. We don't care for this as we do these things at home and prefer to do things we can't do at home on vacation (like snorkel at a port). Because the price on RCCL includes all of these fancy features on a ship that we don't really care for, I don't think it a good value.

Disney is incredibly expensive, although they offer the best military deals which we have fortunately been able to take advantage of sometimes. Even at their regular prices, it can be a good value because of the "magical" touches that only Disney can do. Watching your four-year-old dance with Peter Pan is pretty different compared to other cruise lines. The Dreamworks is absolutely no comparison. The cat-in-the hat was super fun, but doesn't even try and compare to Disney which makes it a neat thing all on its own.

Hi, I'm curious- as a relatively new cruiser, why should one cruise line not be compared to another?

You are contradicting yourself because that is what you did in your review.

Is there not industry standards and general basic expectations in place? I'm asking Sincerely.
There are standards arcoss the board. I think that if it was really as nasty as you say, then the CDC inspections would show that as these ships have to pass inspection on a annual to bi-annual basis.

What is Royals thing?

What is Carnivals thing?

My take on Royal is that they do have high tech ships however the guests on board are snoody and that did not impress me at all.

Carnival may not be as high tech but I will take the customer service and guests over Royal anytime. It is a fun ship. My encounters with Carnival is a cruise is a cruise and you should be glad that you can take vacations. I do not spend money to go on a ship just to compare it to others I have been on. I go for the experience and fun(trust...i am not new to cruising. I have been on more than what my sig says.) No one line is perfect. Even Luxury cruises get it wrong.

You seem like you had your mind made up when you got on the ship.

Haven't finished reading yet but I've been on over 20 cruises with carnival and a couple with rccl always find it funny when people say the staff isn't smiling or friendly either I'm super lucky and get awesome crew every time or maybe you're doing something to get poor service?

Sent from my SM-N930P using Forums mobile app

You are contradicting yourself because that is what you did in your review.

My take on Royal is that they do have high tech ships however the guests on board are snoody and that did not impress me at all.

Carnival may not be as high tech but I will take the customer service and guests over Royal anytime. It is a fun ship. My encounters with Carnival is a cruise is a cruise and you should be glad that you can take vacations. I do not spend money to go on a ship just to compare it to others I have been on. I go for the experience and fun(trust...i am not new to cruising. I have been on more than what my sig says.) No one line is perfect. Even Luxury cruises get it wrong.

You seem like you had your mind made up when you got on the ship.

I've never been called snoody before.:eek:

Bill