Opinions on Glassblowing in Skagway?

12Mermaids

Has anyone participated in a shore excursion that includes glassblowing one's own ornament at the Jewell Garden Glassworks? It's kind of pricey, but sounds awfully cool. However, if the participation level is actually pretty low, then it might be better to take a regular tour and just buy something nice.

All opinions welcome, though I make no promises to follow your suggestions ;).

Has anyone participated in a shore excursion that includes glassblowing one's own ornament at the Jewell Garden Glassworks? It's kind of pricey, but sounds awfully cool. However, if the participation level is actually pretty low, then it might be better to take a regular tour and just buy something nice.

All opinions welcome, though I make no promises to follow your suggestions ;).

To me Alaska is about the scenery etc and not about a glassblowing experience that you can do anywhere. We did it in Seattle before our cruise and it was fun. We had been to Seattle many times so we decided to do the glass blowing thing for a change. For a place that you only visit once (or twice) in a life time I would not waste it on something you can do anywhere.

I'll be on a Yukon/Carcross bus/train tour for the first 8 hours in port and was looking for something to do in the afternoon. Very few excursions mesh with the available timeline and I've never done glassblowing anywhere.

Seriously, just walk around town and enjoy the various shops and so forth. Stop have have a cold beverage and people watch. :)

We did the Bennett Lake / Carcross train/bus trip and loved it, but stacking another activity afterwards wouldn't have been enjoyable for us. YMMV.

to me alaska is about the scenery etc and not about a glassblowing experience that you can do anywhere. We did it in seattle before our cruise and it was fun. We had been to seattle many times so we decided to do the glass blowing thing for a change. For a place that you only visit once (or twice) in a life time i would not waste it on something you can do anywhere.

+1

don

I'll be on a Yukon/Carcross bus/train tour for the first 8 hours in port and was looking for something to do in the afternoon. Very few excursions mesh with the available timeline and I've never done glassblowing anywhere.

It sounds fun to me. I get the you are only there once thing but how is sitting at a cafe drinking coffee and watching people not something you could do at home.

It sounds fun to me. I get the you are only there once thing but how is sitting at a cafe drinking coffee and watching people not something you could do at home.

Well, at home I'm unable to drink Alaskan beer while look at Alaskan mountains in the background of the Alaskan shops as various locals and tourists wander around. :cool: Plus to be specific, that suggestion was secondary to simply enjoying the atmosphere and shopping the shops in in town.

My perspective is coming from having done glassblowing a couple of times. First time was on a trip, though at the Corning Museum of Glass a glass blowing activity is rather apropos. :) Second time was here at home at a studio (activity was gifted to us). Don't get me wrong, it's fun enough, and if you have no opportunity to do that at home then perhaps choosing to do it on a cruise to Alaska is the better choice for you.

I was just remembering that after spending all day on the train and bus we were about done and wouldn't have enjoyed stacking another planned activity.

If glassblowing at Jewell Gardens is what you really want to do with your remaining time in port - then do it. The Trip Advisor reviews are quite good: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60877-d1213738-Reviews-Jewell_Gardens-Skagway_Alaska.html

My ship doesn't offer a glassblowing option at Jewell Gardens - just a visit with afternoon tea...currently scheduled at 8:30 a.m.! :rolleyes: I would like to visit the gardens, so I'll have to see about a quick visit on my own after I return from a tour.